Anyone Modded a Weipro into a needlewheel?

ervine

• SRC Member

Woah... skimmate looks very thick.. what pump u using bro...

also, i noticed u have the water level pretty low huh.... tot most weipro users raise the water level all the way to the neck level?

How long before ur skimmer broke in btw?

• SRC Member

i thik it only that overnite .. maybe about 12hr ... not too sure ... i just set it up .. then next day got skimate liao...

the skimate is very thick becoz of the mircobubbles ..

if put the water level all the way up to the neck .. the skimate is very dilute and have to pour very often ... waste my salt water too ..

the main point is to put ur pump near to the water surface .. in that case .. more airbubbles ..

oh yah .. i did not mod my pump at all .. and its a "no brand" pump running at 1200 L/hr .. and my outlet is fully open.

• SRC Member

AHhhh.. I managed to solve my problem (well sort of)

I noticed that I had was either of these 2 problems that caused the skimmer to behave like it did..

1. Not enough air being sucked through the venturi

2. Too high water flow compared to too little air

So taking "inspiration" from bro rockfish, I shoved another air tubing to the inlet of the pump... that did 1 major thing, it slowed down the water flow and allowed for most of the bubbles created to reach the surface of the skimmer before getting sucked out into the output..

6hrs into the mod I already have foam forming and my first few drops of skimmate!!

Will post pics on progress soon...

• SRC Member

*DEEP SIGH*

After several days of trying to tweak the skimmer into a pinwheel driven one I've given up... somehow the venturi is creating higher bubble density than the pinwheel... Maybe it's the way I made the venturi intake or something.. shrug..

Oh well.. never try, never know...

• SRC Member

think of it... the problem lay on ur inlet.

cos u slow down the water into the needlewheel. By twisting the

inlet, is the same as close the valve of the pump.

I modifying a pump, change to needlewheel and air hose on the inlet side. Will pose a pict once I get the needlewheel done.

i just stuff the the air tube into the lnlet of the pump .. i think by looking at my pic .. its quite obvious ... i din do anything to my pump ... just add air tube ..

i have a weipro2012.. but i am using a pump which is used to pump water to the main tank from my internal filter and at the same time, pump to my skimmer... so how can i mod to see kopi'o' like yours?

try to insert a tude at the inlet but it affect the water going to the main tank since it is sharing..

on the other hand... it make the bubble in my 2012 bigger instead!!