DIY Tank Cabinet

kaykay

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Planning to DIY a cabinet (roughly using Rocky99's design.. hope you don't mind, Rocky.. :) ..)

You can see a plan I've done up with just a good 'ol fashion pencil and ruler for the skeleton of the cabinet.. Looks a bit out of scale...

Planning to use kapor wood.

(1.5"x1.5" for the upright pillars and the beams on the top.)

(1.5"x1" for the bottom beams, and any bracing if i find it not sturdy enough)

The tank is 1.5' from front to back, but the sump tank is also 1.5' in the same dimension. So i've to broaden the cabinet to fit the sump in the cabinet.

As a result, the tank will not sit exactly on top of the 6 main pillars.

I've thus decided to lay 3 pieces of beams, resting on the 2 sides and centre pillars, before laying the 2 long beams across, on top. Then on these 3 short beams will another 3 beams sit, hoping to get more contact point with the top board.

Questions: Can this plan work?

Any suggestions/feedbacks/improvements on this design before i start buying the wood to build?

By laying double cross beams, weaken or strengthen the structure? (Overkill?)

Hope you guys can understand my drawing.

I have an electrical planer (one you use to plane with..) at home. Planning to tie all 6 pillars together and plane as a bundle. Think this should make all pillars of exactly the same length (height).

Thanks!

• SRC Member

Hi Kaykay,

Hm... The main problem I see that you have is that your tank does not rest directly on the "columns" and somehow your wood work diagram looks funny how you resolved the "columns" to "beams"...

I don't believe you need two beams, you just need thicker beams perhaps... and 1.5" I think is too small, my DIY chengal wood stand (not cabinet) uses 2"x2" beams and 2"x3" columns...

Can see it here http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...9574&hl=chengal

Since your loading is not directly on the columns, I suggest you deepen your beams, then use a lap joint (I hope I got this term right) instead of just screws... ideally it would be such that it sits perfectly lah, or at sits on half the side beams...

BTW, you can order your wood cut to size, quite accurate. For me I didn't even do any sawing less the lap joints....

If you want you can come look at my DIY stand when you collect the pump..

• SRC Member

if you plan your work properly, maybe one weekend is enough to complete it. IMO, since 1.5ft is quite narrow, you dont need an elaborate frame for the top. it can give you problems when you are working on it

and you should cut down on stacking the beams on each other and on the pillar because the pieces of wood are not exactly the same size.

you may also want to get 2x2" for your 6 pillars. it wont cost a lot more.. the tank is 250L.

plan first, dont rush into it

gdluck :peace:

• SRC Member
if you plan your work properly, maybe one weekend is enough to complete it. IMO, since 1.5ft is quite narrow, you dont need an elaborate frame for the top. it can give you problems when you are working on it

and you should cut down on stacking the beams on each other and on the pillar because the pieces of wood are not exactly the same size.

you may also want to get 2x2" for your 6 pillars. it wont cost a lot more.. the tank is 250L.

plan first, dont rush into it

gdluck :peace:

bro,

the siong part is the laminating ur cabinet!... i dun believe 1 weekend u can complete ur legs' joints and laminate. unless u use machine.

• SRC Member

Agreed... plan well and it should take you only one weekend (with a helper perhaps)... It took me 2 nights to build mine...

I rushed the laminating so it turned out like sh*t.... laminate nicely, you'll enjoy the fruits of ur labour...

• SRC Member

bro,

the siong part is the laminating ur cabinet!... i dun believe 1 weekend u can complete ur legs' joints and laminate. unless u use machine.

:) ya i agree laminating is tough... no need to laminate i think... sand the plywood smooth and start painting, it won't look lousy.... art of DIY is too get the best with the lowest cost and least amt of time....

• SRC Member

bro,

:) ya i agree laminating is tough... no need to laminate i think... sand the plywood smooth and start painting, it won't look lousy.... art of DIY is too get the best from the lowest cost and least amt of time....

• SRC Member

Hi guys

Thanks for all your feedback. :thanks:

Will still go ahead with the DIY.. Got some woodworking experience lah.. Hoping to complete the task in 2 days. Got all the power tools ready.. Electric Jigsaw, Electric Planer-(this is one hell of a woodwork tool..), Electric Drill, Elect Screwdriver.

Furthermore, a quotation for an identical cabinet was $450..! Will still take 10 days for delivery too!!

BTW, anyone tried using those self adhesive pvc laminate sheets?, those that come in a roll, many shades of wood grain also... It should be easier to work with than veneer or formica rite? Looks better than painting or varnish too. Any side effects with saltwater?

Thanx!

• SRC Member

Hi Kaykay,

If you want some tips on making a cabinet, your most welcome to my office and I can show you what you should and should not do.

Regards

Ian

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member

Another mini round of work..

Top panel, back panel added. In the meanwhile, I'm "laminating the side panel, the front doors, the panels for the hood, with self-adhesive stickers sheets to make it more appealing.. just wondering after nailing them up, how to camouflage the nails with perfect colour wood filler.. Hope they last..

post-9-1103277141.jpg