• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

What size of sump are you looking at?

Are you incorporating a refugium?

Are you using a submerged return pump or external pump?

Do you run a chiller?

What model of skimmer are you using?

How much space do you have for the sump and pumps together?

Supplying us with more info will certainly help. :)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Tanzy,

Tks for pointing out. I'm thinking of a 3ft sump, width and height abt 18in.

The main tank is 4ft(L) x 2ft(W) x 2.5ft(H), with a 6in DSB

Hope to incorp a refugium with the sump :lol: (ambitious!) and using a submerged pump. No chiller yet, as I intend to start with Fish only then slowy upgrade the light to MH, then chiller, then can keep some corals. I'm using a MARCO brand skimmer, believed to be a venturi type. A space of 10in X 18in will be able to hold both the pump and skimmer.

Another query is that should i use the refugium area for more media, such as bio ring and stuff. which is more beneficial, a refugium or more media area?

• SRC Member

You sought of got the model already... hmmm... pretty great thought out on your design.... why not try duplicating what you have designed for the first compartment into the second (after the refugium) so that....

1) you have 2 compartments for water entry...therefore 2 filter media holding towers....

2) the 2nd compartment would be a baffle for the output of the skimmer instead of channelling the skimmer output into the first compartment...

Hope this is clear.....

One question though... why is it that your water goes from under the sand bed upwards....

Are youn planning for denitrification with your DSB?????

• SRC Member

Phang,

for the Sump 2 design, i planned to hv a sort of Reversed UGF in the sump, cos in Sump 1 the water in refugium could juz pass thru on the surface without further denitrification process. The sand bed would be juz abt 2in deep. at that depth i think it wouldn't hv the DSB effect.

2 tower on the returning chamber is a good idea. working on it now.

Could u send/post me yr design? I think the way u partition the space in the sump is more efficient

• SRC Member
Phang,

for the Sump 2 design, i planned to hv a sort of Reversed UGF in the sump, cos in Sump 1 the water in refugium could juz pass thru on the surface without further denitrification process. The sand bed would be juz abt 2in deep. at that depth i think it wouldn't hv the DSB effect.

2 tower on the returning chamber is a good idea. working on it now.

Could u send/post me yr design? I think the way u partition the space in the sump is more efficient

Well... If i can manage to scan that drawing down....

Think if you are interested in viewing it "live" that could be another option...

Bawater and Alvy have seen my tank.....

Why have a refugium and not having a DSB??????

• SRC Member

spade, u should have a look at phang's sump- really. solid & its huge.

u can see it in working condition...a little hard to imagine from drawing.

westernized concept & well made. hope to copy for my future system once his system is running. maybe copy everything eh! phang hee hee.(now depends on how much main tank cost u).

chengai wood frame as well....... seems it comes to around same price as a brand new 4ft system sealife would quote wif standard wet/dry sump.

i chk oredi.

• SRC Member

hmmm.. ok.. me also interested now to see the tank.. phang, when i collect the fish, show me the design ok?? thanks.

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

Phang,

forgot to answer u. Sam quoted me the 4ft main tank at abt 480, with 12mm bracing at top and bottom. as for the DSB, i planned to hv it in the main tank at abt 6in with plenum as well. like what julian sprung described in his article abt the refiend manaco system.

where u get the sump made? and how much u spent?

It it's not too troublesome, would like to c it live :lol: where do u live?

• SRC Member

Why do you in the first place want a reverse flow?????

IMO, Take advantage of the refugium as space for DSB .....

try dividing the first compartment into 2... water flows into 1 and under a partition into the other which will overflow into the refugium... if you are intending for slow flow... divide the output from main into 2 , attach a gate valve and minimise the flow into compartment 1... these would result in a smaller water turn over into the refugium..... the water from the refugium would then overflow into compartment 2.

the other output into compartment 2 directly......... of course there should be media in this compartment as well....

• SRC Member

I'm not too sure about the reverse UGF idea as it will just turn the sand into a nitrification filter. Macroalgae grown in the sand might have problem anchoring to the sand and microfauna might be affected. Best to leave it undisturbed so those little guys can grow and multiply. Also I would advise the skimmer to be placed before the refugium. In your design, the skimmer will skim out plankton from the refugium that is beneficial for the main tank.

If you have a DSB and LR you don't need bioballs which are such a hassle to keep clean and prevent it from getting clogged. It is also better that the nitrification take place close to the denitrification in the sand, so the denitrification bacteria can have a good and immediate source of nitrate. The aerobic bacteria will also help your sand bed by depleting oxygen so an oxygen concentration gradient is set up in the sand faster.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

tks tanzy. I went to c Phang's huge sump and decided to become a copycat :rolleyes: might need to change a bit cos according to Phang not many glass maker can make the sump that complex B)

thanks Phang for showing me the sump and explain to me :)

• SRC Member
tks tanzy. I went to c Phang's huge sump and decided to become a copycat  :rolleyes: might need to change a bit cos according to Phang not many glass maker can make the sump that complex  B)

thanks Phang for showing me the sump and explain to me  :)

Erggghhh.... correction...

""Not many glass makers are willing to........ ""

Design not really that complex..... but troublesome that's why... <_<

The person that made my tank had a hard time trying to understand my design.... confirm and confirm before really confirmed ... even then , still must confirm...keke...

well.... I was rejected by others when I went to them with the designs... ended up changing and redesigning before someone was willing.....

Anyway, nice meeting you spade....

PS should have patented my design!!!!

• SRC Member

Oh MAn.... Those sumps look great!!!!!

Maybe can spend some time also thinking of sump designs like that ... would be cool.... B)

BTW, now working on modified Beckett.... trying to built one out that works with min cost......my container for the nozzle... 60 cents!!!!

Really hope that total cost for materials would be limited to below 100...