coil denitrater

chinmo

• SRC Member

to bros who have diyed coil denitrater abd using it.... does it work well? pls advice..... thinking of diying one..... :)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

any bros diy a coil denirater? any comments on it? :huh:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

hi.... been using one for the past three months.... DIY one...... can't really assess how good it is, cos i also have the seachem *denitrator* (for anerobic bacteria to grow on it) in my sump......

just want to add that my nitrate fell from 50 to between 0 and 12.5..... a 3 foot tank with 5-6 tangs and other fish - severely overstocked..... :) and i feed them more than 6times a day......

• SRC Member
hi.... been using one for the past three months.... DIY one...... can't really assess how good it is, cos i also have the seachem *denitrator* (for anerobic bacteria to grow on it) in my sump......

just want to add that my nitrate fell from 50 to between 0 and 12.5..... a 3 foot tank with 5-6 tangs and other fish - severely overstocked..... :) and i feed them more than 6times a day......

cool bro! any pic of it? issit those normal coil denitrater or one than needs to be fed sugar nw and then? ;)

• SRC Member
omg that is a lot of silicon

err that white thing beside the denitrator(top left)

issit a ballast? seem to be in a high risk place

ya... loads of silicon... scared it leak..... ugly never mind.... i tot juz needed it to work..... it was meant to be an experiment at that time....

that's a ballast for the cabinet light.... kena water at most trip.... i protect it already... =p

• SRC Member
basically followed the design in saltwateraquaria.com

used an 8"pipe. abt 26" tall and 60' of hose for the coil.... and abt slightly more than half a bucket of bioballs as the core....... been running for abt 3mths.

bro rocky.... how u get the water into the denitrater? from the looks of the hose.... i guess u connect the inlet pipe to a powerhead issit? pls advice.... :)

• SRC Member

yes you do... a ph

you need a valve (those small green ones for airpumps) at the end of the outlet to control the flow rate......

i use a 1500lph....

if you use a ph that is too small, it may not initiate the flow as quite some pressure is needed to drive the air out from the coil and the core...

be patient..... takes time to work......

was thinking if you can put some "seachem denitrate" media in the chamber, it should work better...

• SRC Member

cool! gonna diy after new year! Thanks Rocky99 bro. ;)

• SRC Member

i dont remember. i know whatever it is the length has to be there. at least 50'. i think the bigger the tube, the more surface area for the bacteria to grow, so more effective. maybe you can decide how tall and wide you want to make... and use wat 2pi*radius and all that suff to calculate the tube size for 50ft. :)

• SRC Member

Thanks.

Heard that. Looking at the inlet adapter, I guess the tube used for coil must be pretty big in diameter. Let's say 3/4'' diameter, having a 8 X 26 '' pipe/container... we can only fit in 23' length (I think). 60' can be a bit too much to squeeze in.

Unless you are using a smaller diameter tube... are you using a down-size adapter?

• SRC Member
i dont remember. i know whatever it is the length has to be there. at least 50'. i think the bigger the tube, the more surface area for the bacteria to grow, so more effective. maybe you can decide how tall and wide you want to make... and use wat 2pi*radius and all that suff to calculate the tube size for 50ft. :)

Hi rocky, may I ask how did u connect the outlet from within the denitrator? or isit just an open end to allows water flow out?

• SRC Member
Thanks.

Heard that. Looking at the inlet adapter, I guess the tube used for coil must be pretty big in diameter. Let's say 3/4'' diameter, having a 8 X 26 '' pipe/container... we can only fit in 23' length (I think). 60' can be a bit too much to squeeze in.

Unless you are using a smaller diameter tube... are you using a down-size adapter?

i think i used at most a 1/4"..... narrower and longer tube would be better... water from a longer tube is more anerobic, hence suitable for denitrification to take place... i think the blue elbow could be a downsize adaptor....

• SRC Member

Hi rocky, may I ask how did u connect the outlet from within the denitrator? or isit just an open end to allows water flow out?

the outlet is juz an elbow that sticks into the denitrator... and it connects to an outlet hose.... pretty much like in an FR......

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Anyone who had DIY this encounter nitrite prob? Mine is encounting <_< . Though I noe that this is a natural process while cycling the coil denitrator but tink it is having a little effect on my coral. It rise to 0.3ppm from 0ppm in my main tank water. I tried testing the water from the outlet of the coil denitrator and got a shock :shock: ...it was very high. Now directing the outlet water into a pail while topping up saltwater. Also slow the drip a bit to 1 drop in 2 seconds.

• SRC Member

That's one of the fear in doing a DIY coil denitrator.

I read somewhere there are a few failure points:

1. The container has a to be air-tight. Else we'll lose all the anaerobic bacteria.

2. The Flowrate. The longer it stays the better chance for the nitrogen cycle to complete. However if it's too long ...

3. Not enough area for the bacteria to growth. Hence they mentioned about bio balls to be included.

4. The coil length. I think it's about 20m. The longer the better.

5. The height of the cyclinder. More travelling time for the water before reaching the outlet. I read somewhere not shorter then 18''. This tally the lenght of th coil you are going to put in.

So I guess we can start the elimination prcess...

• SRC Member

Just went to test the water from the coil denitrator and main tank again.

From denitrator : nitrate 0ppm and nitrite 0ppm.

From main tank : nitrate 4ppm and nitrite 0ppm.

Tank cycled within 1.5 wk :blink::D .

Take note tat the flow from the coil denitrator is directed to a pail instead of my main tank due to the high nitrite and nitrate level last wk.

Just went to redirect the flow from denitrator back to the main tank to lower the main tank's nitrator level.

BTW, I didnt use any pump for the coil denitrator, it is gravity fed :heh: . Read from RC tat some of the ppl did tis so go try :) .

:thanks: for the advice given.

• SRC Member
Just went to test the water from the coil denitrator and main tank again.

From denitrator : nitrate 0ppm and nitrite 0ppm.

From main tank : nitrate 4ppm and nitrite 0ppm.

Tank cycled within 1.5 wk :blink::D .

Take note tat the flow from the coil denitrator is directed to a pail instead of my main tank due to the high nitrite and nitrate level last wk.

Just went to redirect the flow from denitrator back to the main tank to lower the main tank's nitrator level.

BTW, I didnt use any pump for the coil denitrator, it is gravity fed :heh: . Read from RC tat some of the ppl did tis so go try :) .

:thanks: for the advice given.

Cool! Any picture to go along