How to read test kits down to units per ppm?

• SRC Member

Hello me back to bother u experts again, heheh...

Just like to know, how do u guys get the 0.1 ppm (eg) readings on a normal color chart of the test kits? I'm using Sera N02 and NO3 kits, but they have 5 different colors on a scale and some numbers under them, but i dont know how to read it down to exact figures?

The figures there read : "20ml + 0ml" "10 ml + 10ml"... on the vertical scale, & "0mg/l, 5mg/l, 10mg/l....." on the horizontal.

Can someone talk some sense into me??!?!?!?!? :blink::blink::blink:

• SRC Member
Hello me back to bother u experts again, heheh...

Just like to know, how do u guys get the 0.1 ppm (eg) readings on a normal color chart of the test kits? I'm using Sera N02 and NO3 kits, but they have 5 different colors on a scale and some numbers under them, but i dont know how to read it down to exact figures?

The figures there read : "20ml + 0ml" "10 ml + 10ml"... on the vertical scale, & "0mg/l, 5mg/l, 10mg/l....." on the horizontal.

Can someone talk some sense into me??!?!?!?!? :blink::blink::blink:

I believe the vertical scales simpy mean 20 ml for first reading .... if too high... take 10ml of the first and add 10 ml distilled water and test again for 2nd reading... and so on......

the horizontal scale shows the concentration on the tested item in that amt of water....

Correct me if I'm wrong......

• SRC Member

Thanx for the help! But i'm feeling abit funny here, cause ever since i started my tank 1 week ago, I havent been getting any readings of Nitrite or Nitrate! Only thing that indicated some 'cycling' of the tank was the initial cloudy water for 2 days(which i didnt bother to test). A Blue Tang and a Blue Damsel that i put in have started eating and seem at home right away...

Should i be happy? Or is something waiting to go wrong? I plan on introducing mushrooms and other corals soon, so i hope everything is as ok as it seems.... :ph34r:

• SRC Member

Get your tang outta there!!! I have a feeling that the tank hasn't cycled yet. Did you put something in to cycle it first? By rights the tang and damsel's waste will contribute to ammonia and start the cycle. I believe ammonia will peak a week from their introduction., then nitrite and nitrate in subsequent weeks.

This might not be the case though if you've treated the tank differently from most hobbyists but the tang will surely die if my guess is true.... take the tank set up slowly. Corals 'soon' from 1 week is really a no-no!