Zoo Colony Not Opening...

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

Is there any reason why my colony of zoos (which have been around for about 1yr) suddenly refuse to open? Whereas everything else in the tank looks perfectly normal, just the whole colony closed up.. not only one or two but everyone...

Usually they would close only if disturbed, eg. by my hermit crab... but now they are all closed..

I only get to see my tank once a week, so not sure how long this has been happening... (all automated stuff, less feeding done by dad)... but so far I have not changed anything in the tank

Please advise..

thanks!

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

Is there any reason why my colony of zoos (which have been around for about 1yr) suddenly refuse to open? Whereas everything else in the tank looks perfectly normal, just the whole colony closed up.. not only one or two but everyone...

Usually they would close only if disturbed, eg. by my hermit crab... but now they are all closed..

I only get to see my tank once a week, so not sure how long this has been happening... (all automated stuff, less feeding done by dad)... but so far I have not changed anything in the tank

Please advise..

thanks!

What happen in my tank would be if there is shift of PH , my zoos would not open :)

Maybe u could check on ur water .. :)

• SRC Member

try bringing it up higher to the lights. last time half of my zoo did not open up. But after reshuffle to another brighter position. They all open up shortly. And i think they dun like strong current..so bring it somewhere where there is slight current at least..

• SRC Member

Hm.. but nothing has changed leh.. even before I upgraded my lights... so can't be lighting... don't think it's current either coz nothing has changed as I mentioned....

Maybe it's the pH... already dosed some buffer... have to wait and see... I saw one or two of the younger polyps opened.. but the rest still shut tight... sigh... wait till tomorrow then...

• SRC Member

Nope.. I changed the light months ago... only now then got reaction...

I just tested pH & kH with lights off and it's at 8.0, kH at 7dkH (JBL)...

Seems a little on the low side... Hmmm... any suggestions? I started buffering with Seachem's Marine Buffer...

check for nudi branches too...very small ones...had the same problem before and i noticed my zoos getting skinnier by the day.. some feed on zoos..especially green ones....erm, doubt it's the lighting or current...my zoos open up more with abit of stronger current...

"Save a reef, grow your own"

i tried siphoning them out at one period..did help abit though...gotta keep doing until u dun see any of them left..but the only real break through came only after i created my current around the zoos..and it started to open up as nice as ever again

"Save a reef, grow your own"