New Tank

Water clear up already, ammonia level goin down. Hope can finish cycling soon... Can't wait to introduce fishes in.

Wat's a better setup for my tank?... As in where shd my powerhead, filter and skimmer be placed to improve the tank.

Btw, will be getting a second-hand Marco as100 Skimmer that was never-used before for $85. Anione know the market price? Good catch?

post-6-1105241895.jpg

• SRC Member
Water clear up already, ammonia level goin down. Hope can finish cycling soon... Can't wait to introduce fishes in.

Wat's a better setup for my tank?... As in where shd my powerhead, filter and skimmer be placed to improve the tank.

Btw, will be getting a second-hand Marco as100 Skimmer that was never-used before for $85. Anione know the market price? Good catch?

dun think you need to use the AS100 for your tank, a weipro 2013 or 2014 is good enough...

this will save you about $30 to $50 and use it for your cannister or lights.

check the pasar malam thread, someone is selling the cannister.

if you still have the budget, get the T5 from aquamarin.

fishes wise,try not to have any tangs.

fshes id recommend you.

1)clownfish

2)damsels(but aggressive)

3)dottybacks(but aggressive)

4)blennies

5)gobies

one of each will keep your bioload low.

since your tank is small, it will be difficult to hide your PH and skimmer can only be hang on on the back of the tank.

• SRC Member

you could alway give our sponsers a call to find out the market rate... :lol:

a lot of time, the bro who sold things does not know market rate for the items that they are selling you... ;)

anyway....go slow lar.....your setup is interesting and you should let it run for a while more before making anymore purchases....

• SRC Member

Woah...signal goby, dude this is one hard fish to survive for long, even old birds like Henry also cannot keep it for long. Just to let you know first in case you started panicking and questioned your water parameters when the goby touch wood "goes". :pinch: All the best dude.

post-54-1107833267.gif

"Ah, Blackadder. Started talking to yourself, I see."

"Yes...it's the only way I can be assured of intelligent conversation."

- Melchett and Edmund Blackadder

Started setting up my tank on 1-Jan-05... Cycled for two weeks(till 14-Jan-05)... Now my tank is ready and i started adding lifestock...

Here's my list:

- Cone-shaped Snail

- Feather duster (x2)

- Cleaner Shrimp

- Signal Goby

- Coral Beauty Angel Fish

Skip the coral beuty and signal gobies.

Try to intrduce so docile fishes before you add coral beauty cuz they tend to dominate.

Signal gobies so far have poor survivalbilty. Have you check out Falme Gobies, they might be good if you like them.

Another good addition is to look out for the Alphues Randali with Yashia Goby pair. Alphues are small pistol shrimp and when paired with the small Yashia, it is super nice. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

Skip the coral beuty and signal gobies.

Try to intrduce so docile fishes before you add coral beauty cuz they tend to dominate.

Signal gobies so far have poor survivalbilty. Have you check out Falme Gobies, they might be good if you like them.

Another good addition is to look out for the Alphues Randali with Yashia Goby pair. Alphues are small pistol shrimp and when paired with the small Yashia, it is super nice. ;)

U are rite... signal gobies hve poor survivality... it die on me 2day mornin...

Signal Goby 15/01/05 - 17/01/05

post-6-1105949735.jpg

how to train livestocks to eat pellet... My coral beauty know how to nip at the live rock, bt nt noe hw to eat pellet...

How to prevent stressing the livestocks during transportation... guess my poor goby died due to stress... was veri active at the farm, bt during transportation become very motionless and sick...

• SRC Member

slow down man...2 weeks only and you had added so much already....given time to stablize down, the 'feather' might grow back... I have not kept a coral beauty before but angels are not entirely reef safe and might be picking on your feather...

slow down man...2 weeks only and you had added so much already....given time to stablize down, the 'feather' might grow back... I have not kept a coral beauty before but angels are not entirely reef safe and might be picking on your feather...

As per advised by Tineng - Slow down on your stocking if you want to have a successful hobby. Dun want to see you posting about your tank 'Crashed' later. :P

Coral Beauty belong to the Centropyge family (Dawrf Angels), they have very varied diet including corals polyps. However, due to the fact that they are not dedicated polyps eaters, if fed properly they will tend to prefer easy food ie those fed by humans.

In order to do that, you must first check what food have been given to the fish when you were at the farm if the fish in not eating in the first place - don't buy it!

That's why, always buy from LFS that will feed their livestocks right before your eyes so that you may decide which fish to buy. Once your potential fish in eating get some of the similar food that the LFS has fed to the fish.

If the LFS have been feeding them Brine Shrimp (which is not nutritious) try to wean them off BS by mixing the BS with the food you intend to give to your fish. For example, if you intend to feed pellets, try to coat the pellets with BS and feed them to your fishes. Slowly reduce the amount of the BS and increase the amount of pellets. :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
2ft should not be less than 24W

13000k is the PAR, the high the PAR the blue-er the light. Most people with use a mixture of 6500k, 14000k to 20000k to get the "perfect lighting" to draw out the colours of their corals. The lower the PAR the yellow-er the light becomes.

But so far this is the first I see 13000k being used.

Anyway, if you referring to the Aquamarin T5s, I believe its a good buy. Just that due to the fact it is new - not mush is known about it. :D

Hello! :P

Just want to clear up a little confusion here. Correct me if I am wrong, but 13k refers to the colour temperature in units of kelvin. PAR should stand for photosynthesis available radiation right?

Cheers! :thanks:

Comments are welcome!

yup. you are right.

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
how to train livestocks to eat pellet... My coral beauty know how to nip at the live rock, bt nt noe hw to eat pellet...

How to prevent stressing the livestocks during transportation... guess my poor goby died due to stress... was veri active at the farm, bt during transportation become very motionless and sick...

signal gobies r such poor survivors u really can't jus blame it on the transporation part

it would haf suffered worse transportation stress while on plane or ship then car to farm get my pt? :)

Hi, decided to get a second-hand cannister filter... Jebo 809 for $35...

However, read in the forum that cannister filter are nitrate factory... Believe this is bad for the tank maintenance... Can anione provide solution to solve this problem... Can advise on the filter medium i should use... wat's the arrangement like for layer 1, layer 2... ?... think there's a total of 5 tiers for jebo 809...

tight budget to get other equipment liao... can oni work on the filter medium... advice pls...

Bro Lightningstrike used to use cannister, maybe you would like to check with him.

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of: