My clam in heat

joeyttk

Hi,

I attached a pic of my clam in heat. It being sprewing for nearly 2 hours last nite. I changed 10% water immediately [i.e. 6 [coralife] pairs of water].

this morning, I saw my giantic squamos gaping. Have not test no3- yet coz I dun think it will be a good indication for now since my NO3- was spiking [see thread in general section]

any advise on what shall i do ?

haha, nope, that's not the one....

anyway, something definitely not too right about my tank. even my giant squasmos is stress.

phosphate <0.03

NO3- about 25 ppm

KH 9dkh

Calcium about 500++

mag is around 1320

Ph is about 8 only.

I think it could be the new lowered lighting position. I lowered my lights and set my photo period to 12 hours. this change my stress them out :(

haha, nope, that's not the one....

anyway, something definitely not too right about my tank. even my giant squasmos is stress.

phosphate <0.03

NO3- about 25 ppm

KH 9dkh

Calcium about 500++

mag is around 1320

Ph is about 8 only.

I think it could be the new lowered lighting position. I lowered my lights and set my photo period to 12 hours. this change my stress them out :(

eh that maxi does look abit bleach

• SRC Member

You check around some of the thread - usu when one clam goes into spawning mode the rest will follow - it is survival.

You should start changing the water maybe 20% because it will pollutes your water very fast.

Use Carbon to absorb the Ammonia in your main tank or remove the clam which is spawning so that you could control the pollution.

Your nitrate will boom in no time - so advice is to carry out check on your nitrate level - if it is very high ... you should change the water about 10% every week to push it down.

Hopes things are alright now.

• SRC Member
You check around some of the thread - usu when one clam goes into spawning mode the rest will follow - it is survival.

You should start changing the water maybe 20% because it will pollutes your water very fast.

Use Carbon to absorb the Ammonia in your main tank or remove the clam which is spawning so that you could control the pollution.

Your nitrate will boom in no time - so advice is to carry out check on your nitrate level - if it is very high ... you should change the water about 10% every week to push it down.

Hopes things are alright now.

not too sure about that....my maxi also spawn during the hoilday and as far as i can see their are no streeser also the other clams did not spawn.....water was cleared up quite fast without any water change....did some test on water and NH4, No2 and No3 remains at undectable level....the only thing i did was to turn up the skimmer for more waterly skimmate....

now is day number 3...everything seems as normal as it gets.... ;)

anyway, any bro encountered spawning before?? what did you do and did you suffer any cauastity????

PS:Joeyttk....you maxi does looks like its suffering from Centralize bleaching....can take a close look of the clam????....

hi, thanks for all the advise.

The chiller is set to turn on at 28, and off at 27. That giant squas and the one spawning is about 2.5" below the light [150w MH].

Actually, my giant squa also start spawning about the same time as the other one did. However, he only did that for 30 minutes with very little sperm [could be the age :))].

The really bad news is that I will not be around to monitor them for the next few days. I had turned my aquamedic flooter skimmer to the max. It is now quite waterly and it produce 1/2 a cup every day. [which means it might over flow by wed :(]

The biggest issues is that now my giant squa is pinching [in the day] and gaping [in the nite]. I have no other place to house it since it is a little bigger than 1 ft.

I just hope it survive for another 2 days or so. damn murphy law! things always goes wrong when I am away!

I will take a close up when I return. thanks! and do let me know if there is anything else I should check for.

oops, I meant to say it is 2.5' feet from the MH to the spawning clam.

I had also stop dosing AZno3- from yesterday, seeing that the giant is gaping.

any bro encountered spawning before ? What to do next ? I will change water in 2 days time.

I was wondering if PH could be one of the cause. I being uping my PH from 8 to 8.3 over the course of 3 days. That's a lot of powder [150g tank]. could that cause stress ?