473 members have voted

1. 1. Temp for SPS Tank

• 24C And Below
    • 25-26C
    • 27-28C
    • 29-30C
    • 31C Above

• SRC Member
williammuk : How to set the differentia temperature in chiller and do all chiller equip with such capability?

Kareen, I've only used two brands of chiller so far. My first was a Hailea which has a fixed 1 deg C differential.

My current is a Reef Relief which allows me to set it manually. I can't remember the steps for my RR chiller now. Gotta refer to manual again. Something like press and hold a combination of buttons to go into the programming mode to set.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :bow:

AlfaRomeo, thanks for the input.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Hehehe... dat's just a thought that the temp might shoot up... But since I'm not using a chiller, my experience in this area still very little... :paiseh:

Anyway, WL, I thought of getting a CL-650 for my 100g tank... u tink it's garang enough?? Thought of using it for the time being and when I upgrade to a 6 footer, just sell away, and if it breaks down, can just discard, but would like to keep the costs low for now... :P

yo bro,

dat was wat i intended to do when i got my 2nd hand Resun CL650.

didnt know that the resun can do a decent job too. was planning if it konks out, then just throw lor.

;)

if you are using a less-reliable brand of chiller....

get another one as back up on a 2nd cooling loop lor....

if one chiller goes kapoop, the other one will back up while you are not around or while u are getting a replacement...

if the ONLY chiller goes kapoop....all you can do is off the lights and unnecessary pumps but the temperature will still rise and rise just by the remaining pumps and ambient temperature and for sps keepers...there goes all your hard work.....

no point lah..spend so much on corals/fishes....either get a reliable chiller built on years and year of reputation or get 2 cheaper ones on separate loops like i said lor...cos chillers not say u want to get it now, means you can get it now...

i am now running artica on my main loop and teco as my backup loop :P

• SRC Member
QUOTE (kareen @ Jan 27 2005, 02:24 PM)

williammuk : How to set the differentia temperature in chiller and do all chiller equip with such capability? 

Kareen, I've only used two brands of chiller so far. My first was a Hailea which has a fixed 1 deg C differential.

My current is a Reef Relief which allows me to set it manually. I can't remember the steps for my RR chiller now. Gotta refer to manual again. Something like press and hold a combination of buttons to go into the programming mode to set.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

hm.....RESUN manual only state can adjust the temperature reading differences in tank and chiller......never say can adjust the differential reading for the chiller to kick in.

roidan : :bow: U got a bullet proof failure for reef..... **CNY coming.....do u have invitation for SRC members to drop by..... :P **

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
hm.....RESUN manual only state can adjust the temperature reading differences in tank and chiller......never say can adjust the differential reading for the chiller to kick in.

roidan : :bow: U got a bullet proof failure for reef..... **CNY coming.....do u have invitation for SRC members to drop by..... :P **

errr ... sorry, what do you mean "the temperature reading differences in tank and chiller"? Shouldn't the chiller temperature be the same as the tank temperature? :unsure:

Yah, roidan's system is bullet-proof with fail-safe redundancy. :lol:

• SRC Member
errr ... sorry, what do you mean "the temperature reading differences in tank and chiller"? Shouldn't the chiller temperature be the same as the tank temperature? 

If the chiller temperature is set correctly, then it will be the same. Mine, I need not adjust anything and the reading is correct. But read from SRC that some RESUN chiller temperature does not tally with tank temperature, therefore need to do some setting.

• SRC Member

If the chiller temperature is set correctly, then it will be the same. Mine, I need not adjust anything and the reading is correct. But read from SRC that some RESUN chiller temperature does not tally with tank temperature, therefore need to do some setting.

Wah, really ah? :o How can like that one! :unsure:

OK, I'm not an expert in this but I imagine that the temperature probe of the chiller should be at the chiller's input. Chilled water leaves the chiller and into the tank -- which mixes with the tank water and cycles to the chiller again.

If so, then the temperature probe (at the chiller's input) is always measuring the actual temperature of the tank's water, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

• SRC Member
Wah, really ah?  How can like that one! 

OK, I'm not an expert in this but I imagine that the temperature probe of the chiller should be at the chiller's input. Chilled water leaves the chiller and into the tank -- which mixes with the tank water and cycles to the chiller again.

If so, then the temperature probe (at the chiller's input) is always measuring the actual temperature of the tank's water, right?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks. 

China brand mah..... it depends lucky or unlucky loh..... Er....what temperature probe? Where? Don't see anything else except a black case with two, input and output tubes.......

• SRC Member

China brand mah..... it depends lucky or unlucky loh..... Er....what temperature probe? Where? Don't see anything else except a black case with two, input and output tubes.......

The probe is internal lah. Can't see it one.

I think maybe the problem is that some folks may have installed it in reverse -- that is, the probe measures the water coming out of the chiller. Therefore, the temperature reading would be much colder than the actual tank water. How much colder would depend on the speed of water flowing through the chiller. The slower the water, the greater the temperature difference.

Anyway, that's just my guess only ... and we're way off topic liao. :P

Sorry. :bow:

• SRC Member

oh yes... we offtrack a bit......

BTW, forget to mention.... one of my friend did a simple experiment by keeping his tank temperature lower grandually ie from 27/28 bring it down to 24. He observed that the corals (soft and LPS) looks better..... Maybe a lower temperature does helps..... ;)

• SRC Member
oh yes... we offtrack a bit......

BTW, forget to mention.... one of my friend did a simple experiment by keeping his tank temperature lower grandually ie from 27/28 bring it down to 24. He observed that the corals (soft and LPS) looks better..... Maybe a lower temperature does helps..... ;)

Thanks for the input.

OK, must quickly rush home after work and program the temperature a bit lower liao ... B) Now I'm using 26.5 - 28.5 ... think I'll set it to 25 - 27 and see how first. :)

• SRC Member
there are also arguments that too low a temperature will slow down the efficiency of the beneficial bacterias in breaking down NH4 and NO2.

any inputs on this issue?

Regarding this, no comments..... 'cos never dwell in this area before. But 24 is not that low actually if u compare to the big ocean temperature.

• SRC Member

When too low, its assumed that the temp is like 19 or sumthing ridiculous in that range. 24 onwards is perfectly safe. Only downside is that the chiller will be working harder and electricity consumption higher but if you have a few thousand dollars worth of LS in your tanks, would you risk an extra $20 a month?

Roidan, so yours is even safer.. 2 reliable chillers on separate loops! Do you set the 2 chillers with different set points but same delta?

i set my artica at 27.0....and set my teco at 28....

so the artica as my main chiller is always in operation from (26.6-27.4) whereas the teco is in standby mode....when the artica fails and the teco reads 29, it will kick in...or i can set the teco to 27 and when the temp reach 28, it will kick in to save the reef when artica is out :lol:

if you were in the forum long enough, you would have known that roidan no longer accepts visitors once the quattro was in use :lol::P

it is a gentleman pact between the few that had a part in my quattro ;)

I don't want visitors who come with carpenter's rule and all :lol:

nonetheless, back to topic...for those who have back up chillers...should try testing their back up every once in a while to make sure it works....scarly it doesn't work when it is needed to and the backup loop would have been wasting your electricity by not even kicking in when it's supposed to.

• SRC Member
if you were in the forum long enough, you would have known that roidan no longer accepts visitors once the quattro was in use 

it is a gentleman pact between the few that had a part in my quattro

I don't want visitors who come with carpenter's rule and all 

huh? English not up....what is quattro means? Anyway, just ask only lah..... To go Pungol (I think), I have to exercise all muscles for my hubby to do that..... :P

dun worry, nothing much to impress you one lah....

u din miss much by not visiting my place

i think agar agar just over 10 reefers in here or so have visited me (victor of iwarna also) , and i don't think they went home impressed anyway :P

but yah...hope our paths cross each other one day...

in the lfs maybe....and

please stay behind me after you cross hor, let me pick my stuff first i mean :lol: just kidding lah :lol: