"Giving up reefing" reasons

roidan

What are the top reasons for giving up reefing?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. What are the top reasons for giving up reefing?

• No time (travelling, kids, work.....)
    • No money (piggy bank empty...)
    • No interest (found better things to do....)
    • No success (fishes die, tank crash...)

Have been noticing alot of giving up sales towards end of last year and the momentum has been continuing...

what is happening and what do you think are the reasons.

i know sometimes it may be a combination of reasons...but let's make it easier and just vote the TOP reason why you think you would or someone would give up reefing :)

money to maintain ?? quite siong for student i think

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

So far from what i heard mostly are about financial concern....just like what i'm facing now....the only thing i can't do now is to stock up my LS.....daily needs like food, filter media, additives can still afford.....but not LS.....

Company restructuring lah....got pay cut when they took away all my allowances.... :(

hmm.....lack of passion should be similar as lack of interest hor...cos found other things to be passionate about or interested about....

when priorities change, can be slightly considered as lack of interest also because found other things better to do...

as for fengshui....probably under lack of interest/passion also lah

why leh? because if one is full of passion for this hobby...nothing can stop him....more so for intangible reasons like fengshui...

say for example one is full of passion for this gal and already considering marriage and a fortune teller says that they 'clash' each other and will result in an unhappy marriage or disaster, does he go ahead and marry her with the passion in him or does he believe the fortune teller/fengshui master and leave the gal?

obviously if he marries the gal despite this master's advice, that means he has so much passion and love for the gal and nothing can deter him. but if he leaves the gal and heed the master's advice, obviously he is not passionate enough to stand by his love. his so-called passion is just wafer thin and cannot stand the test.

so it comes back to lack of passion/interest :)

• SRC Member
hmm.....lack of passion should be similar as lack of interest hor...cos found other things to be passionate about or interested about....

when priorities change, can be slightly considered as lack of interest also because found other things better to do...

why leh? because if one is full of passion for this hobby...nothing can stop him....more so for intangible reasons like fengshui...

say for example one is full of passion for this gal and already considering marriage and a fortune teller says that they 'clash' each other and will result in an unhappy marriage or disaster, does he go ahead and marry her with the passion in him or does he believe the fortune teller/fengshui master and leave the gal?

obviously if he marries the gal despite this master's advice, that means he has so much passion and love for the gal and nothing can deter him. but if he leaves the gal and heed the master's advice, obviously he is not passionate enough to stand by his love. his so-called passion is just wafer thin and cannot stand the test.

so it comes back to lack of passion/interest 

U R RIGHT! For me, if I ever got to give up this hobby is definitely not money but time...... I think how much you need to spend on this is all up to u...... With a sharp mind on keeping $$$$, it is a managable hobby.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

obviously if he marries the gal despite this master's advice, that means he has so much passion and love for the gal and nothing can deter him. but if he leaves the gal and heed the master's advice, obviously he is not passionate enough to stand by his love.  his so-called passion is just wafer thin and cannot stand the test.

so it comes back to lack of passion/interest  :)

Agree.

That's why i vote for 3. ;)

• SRC Member

U R RIGHT! For me, if I ever got to give up this hobby is definitely not money but time...... I think how much you need to spend on this is all up to u...... With a sharp mind on keeping $$$$, it is a managable hobby.

Agree with you both. I believe if one is to do something well, one has to have passion for it. Only then, will one be willing to spend enoumous amount of time and energy to read and learn about the topic.

Money is but only one factor. However, I don't think it is the most important factor. One can always keep softies or scale down the tank.

Lack of time can cause one to leave the hobby. But I believe this is only temporary because with passion still burning inside, the person will return one day.

Cheers and happy reefing. Have a great weekend LFSing. :lol:

• SRC Member

For me, it is priority of life at certain situation.

All of sudden, I will loose my job soon. kids need to go school/eat/clothes...etc. High committments already for other things such as house/car loans....etc.

So out of uncontrollable events, need to prioritise. So I put it as money first though job is a very closely related second. :(

• SRC Member

hey, unable to purchase beautiful corals and livestock shld be added in also!!!

With all the good equipments that you have invested in your tank... if you cant buy beautiful corals and livestock... whats the pt??

I think there are quite a handful of reefers here who keep marine becoz of the beauty... :lol:

• SRC Member

so it comes back to lack of passion/interest :)

the fengshui master didn't say that having a tank will bring me bad luck or watever tat's concerning me...he insisted that my parents are suffering physical illnesses because of the tank...

well, i wonder wat will u do if someone said something similar to you about your tank and your love ones, and it just so happens tat your love ones are strong believers...

perhaps u might persist and continue your passion...but i definitely love my parents more...

i rather give up the tank...

wow, the fengshui master really sharp in his anaylysis hor....so if after removing the tank and your parents still suffer here and there...can sue him or not? sue him get the money and come back to the hobby with a bigger tank :D

but usually at most they will say the position not good for *water* things and definitely somewhere in the house should be a place suitable for *water* things like fish tanks mah....

but anyway, it's still correct to say if one believes in fengshui and gives up the hobby...means that he is just not passionate about this hobby comparatively and has to give up for things he is more passionate about lor...

in your specific case, you are more passionate about your parents than this hobby and i don't see anything wrong with that :)

you are a good fillial boy who will give up your love should she bring bad luck to your parents :bow:

for me, i rather not ask those fengshui masters, so that i won't put myself in a position between love and fillial piety :P ignorance is bliss :D