War of the corals

DeepBlue

• SRC Member
Anyway is it a problem that there are constant warfares taking place in a tank? Will the chemicals released by the corals effectively removed by skimming? Cause i always have this thought that the chemicals released by them are not effectively removed causing greater stress to my corals in the near future.  ;)

Hmmm ... I don't know man. :unsure: If I remember correctly, I read that you shouldn't keep Leather corals in SPS tanks because Leather corals release toxin that are harmful to SPS? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Hope the senior reefers here can offer some comments. :bow:

Discosoma vs Lobophyllia = Not sure which coral is injured. Does the "intestines" belong to the Mushroom or the Lobo? :unsure:

Seeing that both corals are quite far away, I also have no idea how the battle took place. :unsure:

The little fishie must be wondering what all the fuss about. :lol:

post-7-1107966668.jpg

• SRC Member

Discosoma vs Lobophyllia

I think the lobo will win. I have similar experience with lobo stinging my merulina (not sure spell correctly) - the merulina was badly injured, exactly the thread like stuff you have shown comes from the lobo.

But I noticed something interesting - frogspawn has no effect on Lobophyllia and even the frogspawn doesn't sting the lobo too. Not sure if others have the same experience.

• SRC Member
Discosoma vs Lobophyllia

I think the lobo will win.  I have similar experience with lobo stinging my merulina (not sure spell correctly) - the merulina was badly injured, exactly the thread like stuff you have shown comes from the lobo.

Yes, you spelt Merulina correctly. :D

I'm not sure which is the winner between Discosoma and Lobophyllia because both has those intestine-like stuff in their flesh.

As for the Merulina, I don't think it has those intestine-liked stuff.

So between the Merulina and Lobophyllia, I would think the injured party is the Lobophyllia because the intestines came from the Lobo. Perhaps the Lobo is hardier and can recover better than the Merulina.

I don't know, I could be wrong. :bow:

my frogspawn was quite potent....the symphyllia didnt stand a chance....it retracted...but it seems to be alright with my pink tip elegance......

interesting

lobo, sumpyllia, cynarinas....they do recover rather fast ;)

(eversince I sold the frogspawn...its recovering at quite an amazing speed...heard feeding it may speed up process even better)

post-7-1107992628.jpg

my frogspawn was quite potent....the symphyllia didnt stand a chance....it retracted...but it seems to be alright with my pink tip elegance......

interesting

lobo, sumpyllia, cynarinas....they do recover rather fast ;)

(eversince I sold the frogspawn...its recovering at quite an amazing speed...heard feeding it may speed up process even better)

OUCH!!!

• SRC Member
Here you'd see the damaged done by the Yuma stinging my prized Red Cynarina.  The injured part started to dissolve and a mucus layer has formed.

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Just to share my experience on how I dealt with the above. Please note that I'm not sure if this is the correct way to deal with it but this is what I did. Please share if you have other methods of dealing with it. :bow:

1. Cynarina's mucus and dissolving flesh after being stung by the Yuma. :angry:

2. Not wanting to let the mucus/flesh disintegrate in the tank, I used a pipette to carefully suck out the mucus and loose pieces of flesh. :eyebrow:

3. The damaged flesh was retracted and doesn't look good. :(

4. Just one day later, the Cynarina is recovering well. :yeah:

post-7-1108054016.jpg

• SRC Member
Hmmm ... I don't know man. :unsure: If I remember correctly, I read that you shouldn't keep Leather corals in SPS tanks because Leather corals release toxin that are harmful to SPS? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Hope the senior reefers here can offer some comments. :bow:

Yes you are correct especially the finger corals like lobophytum species.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

i no time to take photos of war...but heres goes what happened in my tank

hammer vs prata- hammer lose

millipore vs digitata- digitata lose

staghorn vs moon- staghorn lose

open brain vs elegence- nothing happen

hammer vs zoos- nothing happen

prata vs yuma- yuma lose

• SRC Member

this is a bloody interesting thread! too bad i don't have a nicely stocked tank for this to happen :lol:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".