how to remove detritus in sump

• SRC Member
Bro, do u have wool as mechanical filter before the detritus gets to the sump??

yes , the wool is the first layer , then come the coral chip and that is all.

my sump only 3 compartment . 1st and 2nd coral chip, last one skimmer and carbon.all detritus accumulate at last one.

manually ###### out is what i am trying to avoid, cause i lazy plus busy :whistle . so should i place one pump at the last one to blow the detritus so return pump will suck them back to main tank.

• SRC Member

A better way is to get a small powerhead and attach a rubber hose. Stir up the water so all the scum is suspended, then switch on the pump- that will deliver all the scum and water to your pail. Easier than to pump from ground level into a higher pail.

A better way is to get a small powerhead and attach a rubber hose. Stir up the water so all the scum is suspended, then switch on the pump- that will deliver all the scum and water to your pail. Easier than to pump from ground level into a higher pail.

and off the return pump when doing that.. :D

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

Get a battery operated siphon to do the job.

At least I find it useful and using it. It cost about $15-$18 am I bought it at clementi LFS (freshwater shop). check for the model support both salt and fresh water.

cheers

Moxa