Moonlight Vs Actinic

Limpc

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Read a couple of threads about DIY moonlight with Blue LEDs to simulate a night light effect. What difference would it make if the tank were to be lighted just by the actinic blue light ? Afterall, the glow on the green colored coral would be more outstanding.

By switching on the actinic, are we disturbing the sleep time of corals ?

So, question is why blue LED light when we all have actinic blue ?

Thanks for any feedback.

LimPC

• SRC Member

We use FL, PL, T5 and MH lights to simulate the sun, the day light. Actinic Blue is used to supplement the white light, so that your lightning will cover more light spectrum. Actinic Blue emit light spectrum which is difficult for white light. Which means white light+actinic blue = better simulated sun light. Actinic Blue has similar wattage as white light... you don't get this strong watt at night.

We use blue led to simulate moon light. Led light uses minimal watt such as 1W in some product. It helps to aid blooming as some creatures do things in moon light :rolleyes: It also helps you to see your tank at night as some creatures only come out at nght. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

cut it out brothers :cry:

I'm still at work. Gotta concentrate for another hour before heading home for night activities.

Oops ...... shouldn't have written the first sentence in this post, else our boring brothers gone haywire. :P

LimPC

The LEDs are not powerful enough to "light" up the whole tank... they are a much more subdued lighting suitable to allow you to view your tank when the lights go off without causing much disturbances...

I leave my DIY moonlight on 24/7...

exactly.. me just help someone to DIY a 9 blue LEDs one