Capctive Raised Weedy Sea Dragon

acedophin

Hi,

Just came across a notice of sale of captive raised weedy sea dragon from Australia. Price quoted is US$350 (cost only exclude freight and paperwork cost).

Those experience guys wanting to try can gather a pool order to save on freight. Email is oceanreef@aanet.com.au Maybe you guys can request for some photos to be posted here and verify this source. If LFS is going to bring it in, expect to pay around S$1000+.

• SRC Member

hi ace, any news about the reidi shipment? :huh:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

hi ace,

that is a very BIG piece of news! thanks for sharing!

the price quoted is not expensive at all for such an oddity. But the required setup & conditions (temperature, food, deep tank, etc) of weedies will be very difficult to maintain in SG.

I highly doubt if the CITES permit will be allowed to be released. Weedy sea dragons are on the endangered list and only research institutes and public aquariums are allowed to have them.

But if these are captive bred and acclimatized to frozen food... wow! It's a dream come true for those who love such creatures and can care for them!

Hi,

Believe that we need to verify this source for all necessary formalities.

Chinmo,

I was waiting for the news on reidi from my supplier but apparently the Tsunami came and there was no further contact after that. FYI, the source is in Sri Lanka. That's why we can purchase it so cheap. Was quoted US$21 that time. I will try to link up with other supplier again.

Real,

It is a great opportunity if it can be imported. Pricewise, it is reasonable. But I believe a minimum tank size of 6 feet is the requirement.

I have a pair of reidi(Male and female) to be release for sale. Both feeding on frozen. As I just incorporated a company in India, I will be station there permanently till everything stabilised. That's why it pains me to release these two gems. Anyway, I will check out the species available within my area.

Conclusion of my personal assessment on seahorse breeding.

It is always interesting to breed Sh irregardless of the species. Food requirement varies from pony to pony. Unless one goes full time into this hobby, we might see some result, else it will always be frustration when problem crops up(very often). I always wanted to setup a farm for seahorse, but the cost involve doing it in Singapore doesn't permit. By the time the pony is rasied to adulthood, what's your true cost and selling price?

There was a news on sh breeding farm in singapore but I really wonder how long it can substain it the long run. the farm will always be at the mercy of oil/chemical spill from tankers with our busy seaport status. Further more, we are going to built a few desalination plant, water salinity is definitely going to go up as salt are discard back into the sea. In future, will there really be corals and fishes left in our local water? So it is a highly risky business to be in.

Anyway, for those who decided to start on seahorses, read up from past issues to jump start and prevent repeated mistakes. It is much expensive and difficult to purchase compare to the past.

Happy New Year!

regards,

acedophin

• SRC Member
Hi,

Believe that we need to verify this source for all necessary formalities.

Chinmo,

I was waiting for the news on reidi from my supplier but apparently the Tsunami came and there was no further contact after that. FYI, the source is in Sri Lanka. That's why we can purchase it so cheap. Was quoted US$21 that time. I will try to link up with other supplier again.

Real,

It is a great opportunity if it can be imported. Pricewise, it is reasonable. But I believe a minimum tank size of 6 feet is the requirement.

I have a pair of reidi(Male and female) to be release for sale. Both feeding on frozen. As I just incorporated a company in India, I will be station there permanently till everything stabilised. That's why it pains me to release these two gems. Anyway, I will check out the species available within my area.

Conclusion of my personal assessment on seahorse breeding.

It is always interesting to breed Sh irregardless of the species. Food requirement varies from pony to pony. Unless one goes full time into this hobby, we might see some result, else it will always be frustration when problem crops up(very often). I always wanted to setup a farm for seahorse, but the cost involve doing it in Singapore doesn't permit. By the time the pony is rasied to adulthood, what's your true cost and selling price?

There was a news on sh breeding farm in singapore but I really wonder how long it can substain it the long run. the farm will always be at the mercy of oil/chemical spill from tankers with our busy seaport status. Further more, we are going to built a few desalination plant, water salinity is definitely going to go up as salt are discard back into the sea. In future, will there really be corals and fishes left in our local water? So it is a highly risky business to be in.

Anyway, for those who decided to start on seahorses, read up from past issues to jump start and prevent repeated mistakes. It is much expensive and difficult to purchase compare to the past.

Happy New Year!

regards,

acedophin

Oh, sad to hear about the Tsunami.... :(

Whoa Ace! u opening a seahorse farm ar? or i read wrongly? :P

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member
getting the CITES and the paper work on our side is a great pain.

Think this has been spread around so much till it's become something of an urban legend! Getting CITES and import permits on our side is NOT a problem....AVA will gladly issue you an import CITES if you have the relevant export CITES paperwork from the country of export. Exception is for CITES I species eg ...hmm...can't think of any CITES I marine species...except maybe....Whales :lol: CITES II species are a piece of cake, once you have the export CITES....

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

ermmm Achilles Tang said they are endangered and there shouldnt be any caught or even captive ones unless in zoo aquarium or watever (AQWA) western australia is very strict on these stuff and isnt most sea dragons in aus temperate water ???

Think this has been spread around so much till it's become something of an urban legend! Getting CITES and import permits on our side is NOT a problem....AVA will gladly issue you an import CITES if you have the relevant export CITES paperwork from the country of export. Exception is for CITES I species eg ...hmm...can't think of any CITES I marine species...except maybe....Whales :lol: CITES II species are a piece of cake, once you have the export CITES....

Hmmm...don't think it's just a legend. From the time me and many others last asked over the past few YEARS, even with proper export permits or even for animals not listed on CITES or even captive bred animals past F2 generation as long as AVA views certain animals with some level of bias, chances of getting an import permit are literally nil.

But in this case for the weedy sea dragon, there might be a chance. Afterall, it is a harmless fish which can never affect our local wildlife. And if even electric catfishes can be imported, I don't see any reason they should restrict the trade in captive bred fish.

Or you could also look at it in this way, if it was called "weedy seahorse or seafish", there might be less problems getting a permit. But "weedy seadragon", that might be another issue. AVA being anti-reptile, might not like the name and ignore the permit application immediately.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Wah, keeping weedy SD need a large tank and not mentioning the water temp control......hope one day I can afford to have a pair.........

Just sharing, a year back, I worte to a marine supply source that supply wild caught weedy SD. They replied me that the each pcs costed US10/- exculde all paper works and freight. Just hard to believe and only condition is that there a min purchase amt. of US$500 (exculde freight and paper works cost for export) per order. Anyway, hope our TMSI will lookinto SD breeding after the SH breeding poject......

• SRC Member

Hmmm...don't think it's just a legend. From the time me and many others last asked over the past few YEARS, even with proper export permits or even for animals not listed on CITES or even captive bred animals past F2 generation as long as AVA views certain animals with some level of bias, chances of getting an import permit are literally nil.

But in this case for the weedy sea dragon, there might be a chance. Afterall, it is a harmless fish which can never affect our local wildlife. And if even electric catfishes can be imported, I don't see any reason they should restrict the trade in captive bred fish.

Or you could also look at it in this way, if it was called "weedy seahorse or seafish", there might be less problems getting a permit. But "weedy seadragon", that might be another issue. AVA being anti-reptile, might not like the name and ignore the permit application immediately.

Er....we talking fish here ;) ....other species depends on what you're allowed to keep here - different department.

Also doesn't depend on whatever common name is used - the scientific name is the factor - do a search and you will know that weedies are not a problem...provided you can get the export permits ;)

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Just my point of view..... we can't even handle SH properly..... not to mention SD, we should leave it to the professionals... :P