Corals injured during transportation

• SRC Member

Hey guys, just got me first corals - mushrooms - on friday, and they seem to be doing ok till now - first day was worrying though, cause one was damaged during the way home, and leaked its gooey contents out into the tank (lucky i spotted it and removed the sticky stuff). Then just today another leaked its stuff out, and i had to pull the whole piece out (quite small) just in case.

It seems that they were all stressed out on the first day in the tank, cause they were quite shrivelled up and didnt glow as much, but after a day they seem to have opened up and have started to look normal again... Is this a normal occurence for new corals in the tank? Or is it cause my water is bad?

Do u guys get yr corals damaged while bringing them back from the LFS? Cause the corals sometimes are stuck on large, heavy rocks, and sometimes they tend to get smashed in the plastic bag if they are growing all over the rock... Any way to avoid this? :(

• SRC Member

Very hard to avoid damage and injury during transportation unless you have a car with a nice cushy box for them. Corals are very tough animals, given the right condition they will recover quickly. Sometimes I drop corals on each other, leaving scratches on their surface, the acropora can recover overnight. Porites can cover a 5 cent coin size injury in a week.

Corals tend to act weird when first introduce into the tank for a few hours to a day or so.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Er temperature 27`28C, NO2 and NO3 close to zero... Shld'nt be the water rite? Cause they seem to have recovered from their 'shock', as Tanzy described... Anyways, how long does it take to know yr coral is REALLY gona live on in that tank??? :unsure:

• SRC Member

When it grows bigger and multiply, then you will know. ;)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif