Enquiry On New Marine Tank

sunny03

• SRC Member
:angry: SpiderOne just to let you know the sea is near my house i can affort to go everyday :pinch: if i dont take the sand sooner over the years they will sent a dradger to dradg the sand away

it not that i cant affort it just that if you can save why not as for the environment den why dont you keep try keeping terrapins in a goldfish bowl yourselve cos you also keeping reef fish and corals ... dont tell me the corals can repoduce in farms ??? if can. can it support the whole lots of ppl buying it? as a word no demand there is no supply :angry: you just paying money to ppl to collect those LR and coral for you if you can save and i dont mind the effort to take the sand and water why not :angry:

sorry guys is not that i wan to say this it is as i rear FW for so many years and as a newbie trying to save as much as i can :( trying to ask is it ok to take sand and water from sea in the end being frame it not being helpful at all :off:

sunny03,

i hv a fren tat get'z water from the sea 4 hiz 5ft tank but he air it 4 @ least a mth b4 he use it in hiz tank. oso he use abt 70% of the jerry can of sea water only as after a mth, the dirt & unwanted materialz will sink 2 the waterbed.

IMO, it'z fine if it iz 4 newly setup az u dun hv any LS in the tank but after a whil when u hv all ur favorite & expensive fishez & coralz in there, dun think it iz worth the risk. u might find tat it workz when u try but all it take iz just 1 mistake. mayb tat 1 time tat u collect iz of no gd quality & there goez all ur fishez & coralz. do u wan 2 save & take tat risk??? or u wld rather spend some money & effect 2 mix ur own???

personal i enjoy mixin' my own, it givez me a sense of accomplishment.

Ok guys. Temperature is way too high at the moment. Lets cool it for a while.

Sunny, I think you've got your reply. If you want to take sand, by all means. Some of the reefers are using it. Of course, there is the legal issue.

As for the sea water around Singapore, many feel that it's not up to scratch, and not to mention, smelly. Use at own risk. It would be better if you filter it first.

By the way, it is no joke carrying a lot of water home. If you are making trips over several days, you must aerate those that you have taken home to prevent it from "going stale".

Agree with you oshkosh.

I started off with a 24'', 18", 18". Was really a pain bringing water back from the beach - putting sea water into 1.5ltr pet bottles, carrying a bunch of them back to the car, taking the lift up to my HDB flat, pouring the water in a pail, wait for the dirt to settle, inspect the water for odd objects, then finally pouring it in the tank,

Next week, same drill.

Buying salt saves a lot of time and effort.

• SRC Member

to each his own..

if you think u want to save $ and carry seawater and sand from the beach...by all means...no one in this forum has the authority to to tell you wat u r doing is wrong/against the law etc.

we are just offering you a simple and easy alternative. If you do not appreciate this suggestion, no problem...we aren't obliged to help you carry ur seawater and sand anyway.

enuff said.

cheers!