skunk cleaner shrimp molting

hotlemond

• SRC Member

I had a skunk that molted today morning. what i noticed was that prior to molting, its underside "belly" (if i am right) will have very light greenish color that looks like it is carrying eggs. this will last for almost a week. Could this be an indication to molting?

After it molted today, the greenish thing was gone and it's color looks darker and vibrant.

The other skunk has it too and i can see its colors aint as vibrant as the molted one.

• SRC Member

talk about feeding..., they are suppose to be scavangers rite? but i always end up feeding them first, especially the juciy market prawn cos otherwise they will snatch food from the anemone.

They are so well fed i dun think they will even bother to service the tang for parasites as tibits food.

whenever i feed them prawn, was wondering how they would response if they knew its thier own kind??? :rolleyes:

Probably: " Yucks!! God..., this in-invertebrates (inhuman)!!"

• SRC Member

i think its the same with everyones CS.

i call mine the toll station.

have to give them a pc of prawn meat first before i can feed my plates and pratas.

otherwise, they simply come and grab from the mouth of the corals.

;)

• SRC Member

i think that your cs is reproducing.. obeservatioon of bright green eggs means that your shrimp is now in gestation period and hatching of the larvae will occur on the 15th day after being laid. the mummy/daddy cs will release the larvae 1 to 1 1/2 hours after light out . and thisis quite a spectacular sight. :lol:

why it moult , i think its because its trying to fertilise the eggs .

The l. amboinesis is hermaphroditic, meaning that each individual is capable of producing both ova and spermatozoa. so, what i guess is tat after the eggs are formed in the thorax area, it excretes the eggs out to the spaces of the pleopods after which several days later, it molts and den goes back to the old shell and pick up its stored spermatozoa( this is read from somewhere i think) and use it to fertilise the eggs.

if successful, the u will notice that the clutch of eggs becomes a dull cream/light brown colour and den develop larvae eye that look like black dots.

• SRC Member
i think that your cs is reproducing.. obeservatioon of bright green eggs means that your shrimp is now in gestation period and hatching of the larvae will occur on the 15th day after being laid. the mummy/daddy cs will release the larvae 1 to 1 1/2 hours after light out . and thisis quite a spectacular sight. :lol:

The l. amboinesis is hermaphroditic, meaning that each individual is capable of producing both ova and spermatozoa. so, what i guess is tat after the eggs are formed in the thorax area, it excretes the eggs out to the spaces of the pleopods after which several days later, it molts and den goes back to the old shell and pick up its stored spermatozoa( this is read from somewhere i think) and use it to fertilise the eggs.

if successful, the u will notice that the clutch of eggs becomes a dull cream/light brown colour and den develop larvae eye that look like black dots.

wa sis...

power hor?

:bow:

• SRC Member

:bow:

super informative

• 1 month later...

I got only 2 shrimps, and i was wondering how come both females can lay eggs w/o a male. From ur info...tat means one of them is a male...also carrying eggs....anyway..i witness the eggs hatching...and my whole school of fishes go into a feeding frenzy :shock: !!!!now they r still carrying eggs...looks like they can really reproduce fast....

• SRC Member

Sounds like mine...

Wonder if i sell one away will they still have eggs?... :huh:

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy