Houndster SH Tank

houndster

• SRC Member

u saw the wrong type of cherry liao... u might wanna get the ghost shrimp or the another type of grass shrimp which is 10 dollars for 100 pieces.. but i think the size is around 2 cm... perhaps u can choose a packet wit smaller ones , Pe***rt got...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm..if possible start another tank. The 2ft tank really looks overcrowded. Seahorses are not found in such high densities in the wild. They need their own space for security. Smaller seahorses might get intimidated by larger ones in terms of choosing the better perching zones. If you notice, smaller seahorses might give up the chance of feeding if a bigger seahorse is already onto the food. Anything more than 4 seahorses in a 2 feet tank would appear to be crowded. And seahorses, like f.w angelfish, really appreciate alot of vertical space for swimming.

You can use adult brine shrimp, provided you feed the brine shrimp with the appropriate feeds. Things that could be considered for enrichment would be fine spirulina powder and Selcon (a blend of marine oils, high in essential fatty acids). While you feed your brine shrimp, slowly introduce some frozen mysis. These are far more nutritious than brine shrimp. Hopefully, you would be able to wean them to accept frozen foods. Another thing you could consider (after decreasing your stocking density) would be to add a few cleaner shrimp. These serve to eat any uneaten food before they rot. They will also give you a constant supply of shrimp larvae which will be consumed by your seahorses. This additional diet will help keep your seahorses healthy, as they will provide some of the essential fatty acids your seahorses will need.

You could try the bowl feeding method. Bro chinmo could elaborate on that. *Sabo chinmo* :lol::upsidedown:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Hmm..if possible start another tank. The 2ft tank really looks overcrowded. Seahorses are not found in such high densities in the wild. They need their own space for security. Smaller seahorses might get intimidated by larger ones in terms of choosing the better perching zones. If you notice, smaller seahorses might give up the chance of feeding if a bigger seahorse is already onto the food. Anything more than 4 seahorses in a 2 feet tank would appear to be crowded. And seahorses, like f.w angelfish, really appreciate alot of vertical space for swimming.

You can use adult brine shrimp, provided you feed the brine shrimp with the appropriate feeds. Things that could be considered for enrichment would be fine spirulina powder and Selcon (a blend of marine oils, high in essential fatty acids). While you feed your brine shrimp, slowly introduce some frozen mysis. These are far more nutritious than brine shrimp. Hopefully, you would be able to wean them to accept frozen foods. Another thing you could consider (after decreasing your stocking density) would be to add a few cleaner shrimp. These serve to eat any uneaten food before they rot. They will also give you a constant supply of shrimp larvae which will be consumed by your seahorses. This additional diet will help keep your seahorses healthy, as they will provide some of the essential fatty acids your seahorses will need.

You could try the bowl feeding method. Bro chinmo could elaborate on that. *Sabo chinmo* :lol::upsidedown:

thanks for the advice.. i do not have any tank at the moment... :P where to can i get selcon?

• SRC Member

hey bro, any update pic? :P hw's the red sh from aquamarine? :)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

a pics of the sh will be useful...... :unsure: hope u able to post pic soon.... at least able to id the problem quick..... have u tried feeding the sh FW small ghost shrimps instead of brine shrimp? :unsure:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member
a pics of the sh will be useful...... :unsure: hope u able to post pic soon.... at least able to id the problem quick..... have u tried feeding the sh FW small ghost shrimps instead of brine shrimp? :unsure:

i tried finding ghost shirmps at lfs but all too big couldnt find small ones so i feed live bs..

• SRC Member

try curshing the lower half of the ghost shrimp, this make it easier for the sh to snick..... freshly killed of crushed(must still have e look of shrimps) are moslty eaten if drop near to the sh. ;)

• SRC Member

seems fine..... u got check for wounds ? they look whitsh too...

but the sh look very thin ...... u really gotta find tiny ghost, if not order from ur lfs.... ask to buy in bulk, but must get smaller ones..... c if ur lfs will do it anot? ;)

• SRC Member
seems fine..... u got check for wounds ? they look whitsh too...

but the sh look very thin ...... u really gotta find tiny ghost, if not order from ur lfs.... ask to buy in bulk, but must get smaller ones..... c if ur lfs will do it anot? ;)

I have another sh that is suppose to be black become white.. is it stress? Can PM me where you got the small ghost shrimps?

• SRC Member

what ur water paremeter?

how many sh in the 2 ft tank?

what filteration u using?

i got my ghost from my neigbouring lfs... it's at bishan st 11, Chung ling wet market. but must pre order first lor.... ;)

• SRC Member
:cry2::cry2: This morning when i woke up got a shock of my life... :cry2::cry2: My sh tank was completely wipe out.. left 4 sh with 1 still half dead.. :cry2::cry2: test the water everything was ok.. :cry2::cry2: what could be the cause of it? Are they stress? I'm using the canister filteration. I got about 14 sh... :cry2::cry2: ....

• SRC Member

normally when u put ur SH into ur tank , thier color shld be yellow or wad.. how come urs still black.. and can see tt u stress ur SH too much.. as u juz put in too much SH in one go as wad ONG sae... not to flame u but to tell u not to put it in all at one go.. they are too stress.. think for the good thing. maybe they helping u to block those bad thing.. right.. hahax. this is a challenge to u bro.. stock them up slowly.. this is a lesson for u too.. u will do better next time.. don give up.. okie..

Cheers..

Lorenzo..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member
:cry2::cry2: This morning when i woke up got a shock of my life... :cry2::cry2: My sh tank was completely wipe out.. left 4 sh with 1 still half dead.. :cry2::cry2: test the water everything was ok.. :cry2::cry2: what could be the cause of it? Are they stress? I'm using the canister filteration. I got about 14 sh... :cry2::cry2: ....

14 sh in a 2 ft tank.... is way too crowded! <_< best is only a pair.... or up to 4 adults at most. ;)

U make the mistake of many first time sh keepers..... buying too many and too many different specis. :( is best to keep specis of their own in different setups, rather than having a SH community tank(Big NO NO!) u learn the hard way..... sorry for ur loses... :( hope u still con't keeping sh, they can be very hardy or very fragile.... depending on how u treat them. :peace:

possible try to install a uv into ur setups, will helps somehow... ;)

no point buying so many sh ... when u able to keep 1 or 2 pair of sh that is healthy and breeding. That's even more REWARDING. ;):peace:

actually thought of giving up.. but my wife supported me. she say next time try again dont give up.. but...but my yellow reidi... :cry2::cry2: spent so much.. at the end... :cry2: I will never give up.. now doing dried sh to ward of evil ****. haha.. :eyebrow:

Me too have a lot of dried SH...... :D:D

Anyway, 2ft only able to keep 3 pair, best 4 females and two males..... :eyebrow: