How do u feel abt S'pore culture?

limbssg

• SRC Member

i was fortunate enough to spend a yr plus plus in thailand couple of years back

my take on my experience is the people there are extremely polite and hospitable...there wasn't a barrier even when talking with strangers

a smile could be seen on the face of stranger when talking within minutes or even seconds.

of course, i'm not saying singaporeans don't smile but fact remains that spore cost of living very high...government taxes and high cost policies to control things like number of cars on the road or ERP make us think about earning money most of the time and hence the materialism and self centredness

of course singaporeans are friendly (even tourists friends of mine from aust, USA and taiwan say so... :D) , and sometimes very selfless and helpful, but i guess workload and monetary concerns take up so much of our mind that we forget to be polite sometimes.

money so hard to earn that even park car go kopitiam eat many will also must try to save coupon

take for eg prices of cars and houses there, i did some asking around and found that given current real estate price for my flat, if i sold my hdb flat here, i'd be able to get a big mansion with spare cash for a mercedes benz

even the food is so cheap...i remember taking plates and plates of sushi for 3 hours with my family at world trade centre and end up only paying only SGD10 per person... :)

same went for loads of fresh seafood beside the sea and paid only 50SGD per person

the high costs in singapore also mean that any form of activity to destress also means having to fork out quite an amt of money...as a result, many singaporeans are not well relaxed and this too i guess contributes to the lack of smiles at times

compare this to thailand and whenever there're long holidays like Songkhran, the thais go out of Bangkok City to provincial states and things are so beautiful and cheap there...you can find a 3 days snorkelling trip with all meals and accomodation with aircon provided for only 100SGD (what a great way to spend time and relax instead of watching tv all the time... :lol:

my comments here do not serve to insinuate that singapore sucks neither do i mean that thailand the best

i mean if singapore sucks i wouldn't be here would i?

besides, i love the fact that singapore is safe and clean.

there are few places in the world that you can claim to be as safe at night

not to mention the fact that a corruption free government here ensures administrative matters are settled quickly with no hindrance

i'm just trying to give a view that different countries have different requirements and different economic priorities and policies due to different cultural and sometimes even religious needs

of course, i'd love it if singaporeans were more friendly but i guess the balance between materialism and being leess-self centred along with being friendly and polite is extremely tough to achieve

but nonetheless, singapore is a young country...much remains to be seen on how it'll develope, both economically and culturally...so i really hope to see that in the future, singapore culture can be more appealing and friendly

cheers! :)

• SRC Member

totally agree,

SG is the best place to live and settle down ( if you can afford ) else :)

While I am trying to settle down in SG, all my Singaporean ( Made in Singapore ) move out......................

Wonder why ? Big House , Big Car, Cash ?

or just to be free from worry

since we are in SG we have to worry

Housing Loan (30 yrs) , Car Loan ( 7-10 yrs ) , Maid Levy, Hostipal Bill...........

u r doing fine ( in good time )

suddenly economy downturn, less income trouble start than......

u start worry, not like other countries, you can work for 1 year and rest for 1 year ( eg Thailand ), or other place no job than gov pay something.

And we need to worry for our old age, while we are not even sure whether we would be living up to 80 ?

We , Singaporen are assest rich not cash rich. Mean in economy downturn, we , Singaporean stuck in NOWHERE LAND.............

Enjoy

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

speaking of culture, I love the Australian's culture! or lack off, in certain cases. :P

damn slack ah!

Agree with you. After being living in Singapore for so long, Aussie culture really got into me. Everyone is just so darn polite! Motorists slow down just to let you cross the road although you are still rather far from crossing. And all stores I went to, the staff will greet you. Common phrases are "Hi, how are you today?" (cashiers), "No worries" (bus drivers). And everyone thanks the bus driver when alighting. Something you don't observe in Sg.

And I just love the university here. You can smoke in school and you can go into labs without lab coats. You can walk around bare feet even in lecture theatres and no one finds it weird. People even sit under trees or on the grass while waiting for the bus.

There is no pressure in dress codes here either, even if you are going to town. Back in Sg everyone is oh so fashion concious and being fascinated with branded goods and stuff. Branded goods are available here too but no one really goes after them. Less pressure to dress well >> Save more $ as anything goes. I went to school in a singlet. Haha

And not to mention the cheap booze. A can of beer is about the price of a soft drink. :evil:

The nightspots are not as happening as Singapore's. However its easier to make friends there compared to Sg when girls are just so darn shy. :ph34r: I got treated to free rum by this aussie guy I just met there. Haha.. Have'nt been to the strip bars..maybe I should..when I got time..tsktsk..Haha.. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Agree with fuel.. i been aussy a few times(diff places duh)... ppl so polite on rd... Singapore, you slow abit or accidentally block someone, you see fingers out and the guy start chanting*&^$#@!...Early morning you step out of house ppl greet you good morning....

• SRC Member

When I was in my Aussie Uni, sometimes take some time off with few glasses of beer, tacos with cheese and a game of pool. Not forgetting the sports channel on projection screen. U will never see anyone rushing for time. That is enjoying LIFE!

u can go to Kingscross, Sydney for strip joints.... :D

• SRC Member

Singapore is what it is today because of the govt. The country is posperous, govt dept efficient because civil servants are paid well unlike most countries, during bad times the gove comes up with incentives to hel business, it's a small country and the govt can manage better in terms of crisis. You don't have beggars (practically), majority of the population have their own property, the traffic signs are very clear, roads are clean, people are orderly, etc. what else do you want? Of course not everyone is happy with the govt, we are all humans and every individual is different.

As the country develops, progress, people will be more educated and widely travelled, have better mannerisms etc, which you see in Taiwan, US, Australia etc. but then have you been to NY, the people (not all though) there are very aggressive, self centered, arrogant, greedy, money counts, dod eat dog type of personality etc, it's a big city and Spore is a city, like some of you says has such threads. If you go to the country sides, you experience a different level of life, but then Spore is a city, there is no country sides, but people in Spore are polite as far as I am concerned. Of course there are a few exceptions like anywhere in the world.

I visit Spore regularly, I got lost in Pasir Ris and want a lift out to the town to catch a cab and asked a couple to give me a ride out, they asked me where I ACTUALLY wanted to go, I told them Pac marine, they took me all the way there. I then asked a pretty lady who drives a Mercs S class for a lift out to Pasir Ris for me to catch a cab to the MRT, no problems she gave me a lift, she also asked me where do I want to go, I told her Orchard, she wanted to drop me nearer like Serangoon, but I declined as I do not want her to go out of the way to help me. It happens that her husband owns Pac Marine!

I always get help from Sporeans, banks, customs, immigration, shop assistants, public etc, I find them ALL very helpful. Sometimes when you visit a country, you don't see the ugly side the locals do, do you find that we are more willing to help foreigners than our own kind? I am sure most of you would say "yes". Theree it goes.

As most of the reefers here are youngsters, students up to early thirties, I guess when you are into your forties with a family, you will appreciate your govt more. In my opinion, you have a good and efficient government, I am sure your parents have no complaints. The only exception is that they have failed in my opinion is that the govt is pretty vindictive and they don't like people to go against them and create trouble and swing public support or opinion against them, if they don't like you they will find the liitle wrong you have done and get you, like the SIA pilot, Dr Chee, the opposition, Jeyaratnam etc, in these situations, the govt has not acted in a matured manner demanded by a world class nation. Other than this, the govt is very good.

This is politics.

Anyway, Sporeans in general, to me a nice and friendly people, so don't be too critical of yourselves.

If you are the typical good citizen, always listening to the decisions of the government and always prefer the "baby-sitting" system plus the peace and stability that comes with it, then staying in Sg won't be a problem at all.

However if you are the type who speaks up for what you believe it and yearn for a more adventurous lifestyle and prefer more freedom, staying in Sg will make you a very very pessimistic person. So called free speech, free media, and the willingness to accept new ideas are all bullsh*t. I remember a time when I wrote in to the Straits Times. My article got published, but they f**king changed my article title into a vindictive one to illicit a harsh response from the government body it was addressed to. So much for the "freedom" in expressing ideas via a media body that obviously sided the government. About a month ago I wrote in a fail proof argument that would have led the government body speechless for words. It never got published nor was I contacted for further comment at all.

Not to mention the stubborness, ignorance and arrogance of certain government branches.

This is what makes me sick from personal experience.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

terrence, FuEl & DA

no offence bros, juz that u hv not met the typical aussie racists (few by far nowadays) doesn't mean there r none out there. ;) hv met quite a few myself during my yrs of stay there. u wld hv thought they were from the KKK (Ku Klux Klan).

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

pardon my ignorance

minsmarine...does this mean you're not born in singapore?

yes eventhough I am a singaporean I was born here. I am first generation in Singapore. Only my 2 monekeys are true Singaporean.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
I've been to many countries and I find that the culture there has make it hard for one to know whether the other person is really sincere.

This is very true, today they know you and tomorrow they ignore you as if they have never seen you before (not all of them though), warm and cold treatment, like their weather of course.

• SRC Member

yes eventhough I am a singaporean I was born here. I am first generation in Singapore. Only my 2 monekeys are true Singaporean.

Sorry typo error, should be

I wasn't born here.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

Well, there is no perfect place / culture for you unless u know how to control your mind. Mean peace.

However for those, easy come easy go person, there are so many place / culture suited for them.

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

I feel that some of us are really over critical of ourselves. It really is grossly unfair to our government if you try to compare ourselves(in terms of social development) with the likes of france, australia, etc. They have had a lot of time to right the wrongs. And what is good, what is bad, its all very personal. The grass is always greener on the other side isn't it? Is it better to be laid back, or better to be able to get things done as and when u need?

i believe most have heard of the self fulfilling prophecy. if you go to aus or taiwan and behaves in a friendly manner towards the locals(becos u believe they r friendly), they will in return behave in a nice manner towards you. When was the last time you smiled at a bus driver or express your appreciation to the waiter in singapore? this is only a possible reason. however i do feel that the service sector in singapore could do with some overall improvement.

The government is a new one(50 years is new), their priority was for survival. and they have done this well. some thinks the future i bleak, but every generation has a problem to face. the previous generation overcame their challenge to gain n maintain sovereign. to do this, they had a set of rather strict and hard line mentality and way of doing things. they suceeded in what they set out to do.

today's government's challenge is, will we be able to overcome the challenge from up and coming developing nations? will we be able to create a "kind and warm society"?

Most will know of maslow hierachy of needs, etc. before we advance enough to feel the need for fulfilling the higher level needs(esteem, belongingness, self actualisation, etc), everybody needs to first attain the safety needs, etc. I feel we;re now heading towards the higher needs. In the middle of the ladder. Why be so impatient n critical of the government? i'm sure no governement in the world, aus, france, whichever country that has impressed you, will be able to attain all the needs within 50 years, constrained by all the geographical barriers our small island faces.

to those who thinks they know better, seen better, what would you have done if you, instead of LKY or GCK or LHL is in power? give total freedom? free speech? promote laid back lifestyle? tax free beer? tax free cigarettes? strip clubs?

nice. sounds like a stress free country to live in. But, would you be confident that this country would survive long enough to enjoy the above? Or will we have to first go through a series of political assasination? a civil war first perhaps? will we be able to survive all that in today's world? if we do, at what cost?

• SRC Member

I agree with you most of your point. Esp surviving of Singapore.

Let see from other point.

If SG is keep thinking of surviving when need more population to grow ( no business grow how to survive in today world ), will people leave their respective survived country to contribute in SG surviving ?

I doubt in today global country, first of all , there weren't born here , no root here. Unless they married to our bro, sis. However, they would bring their spouse back to their survived country.

It's chicken and egg issue, while gov know need to reach to 8M population , while keep talking about surviving.

Cheers

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

its a piece of comment written by one writer.

i think the situation in china with regards to singaporean doing business there is of no surprise. it is no secret of the difficulties of doing business in china. not only with singaporean businessmen. but everybody else too. the chinese economy promises so much potential, but one has to have the ability and luck to sidestep countless pitfalls and landmines before he will be able to profit from chinese market.

the increasing cautiousness and "inflexibility" of singaporean businessmen in china is not a innate nature. but could be a learned defence response.

im not trying to be defensive of our singaporean in china. but that if this changing view of chinese on singaporean is really widespread and true, all it shows is that there is a co-relationship. but not causal relationship. we don't know which is the cause or which is the effect. is the singporean inefficient way of doing things the cause, and the changing views of chinese on singaporean the effect? or, is the way the chinese do business(the corruption, "guanxi", etc) caused the reaction from singaporean businessmen?

• SRC Member

We have to exercise great caution when investing in China. My Shanghai Gf tell me Singapore better, air not as polluted as compare to Shanghai. Singapore have cleaner environment. It’s safer to consume the food here.

IMHO, i find shanghai / china have lots of business opportunities. Growing market with lots of competition but not to forget China is a BIG BIG market.

Service qualities are getting better and better. We can still see lots of ugly side of Chinese but they are improving.

I don get their Custom officer to scream at me for moving too slow anymore.

I don get stares when i do purchase the product after a session of bargaining.

Yes, Singaporean is consider rigid when comes to doing business in China. Our culture here is must check with if the company is establish or not. What are their past profit margins? That why we lost lots of opportunity. Most of the Companies in China are new yet thriving.

We got our PLUS points, they got their PLUSPOINTS.

At least their marine equipment is cheap and GALS are pretty. :evil::evil:

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

I have heard a lot of things about Singapore including a lot of abuse and hated remarks about how little we are, how insignificant we are, etc etc but this takes the cake. This is the most utterly distaseful remark I have ever heard being said about Singapore and Singaporeans.... We are now being accused of having a culture? How can they! :evil: