Salifert & Sera Calcium Test kits

kareen

• SRC Member

It has been known that Salifert test kits are accurate..... since my Sera calcium testkit is going to finish soon, I bought Salifert Calcium test kit. This is my little observation from using the two brand to test my water.

To make it short and sweet, I discovered that my SERA calcium testkit give me the same reading as Salifert calcium testkit! Below is the account of how I perform the test.

1) Take 5ml of tankwater, add 8 drops of Sera Calcium solution 1.

2) Mix a bit of the Sera Calcium 2 powder into tankwater

3) Use the 1 ml syringe supply by Salifert test kit to draw 1 ml of Sera Calcium solution 3.

4) Add drop by drop till the mixture colour change from pink to violet.

5) Read the reading from 1 ml syringe for the leftover solution.

What I get is the same amount of solution left when I repeat the test using Salifert Calcium testkit.

Does anyone here perform the same thing and get the same result as me?

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Great findings. Cheaper alternative to test kits.

To be more accurate, it's better to do more test to compare. For example, 8 out of 10 test Sera is correct or 3 out of 10 test Sera is wrong.

Cheers, keep up the good work.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

yeah.... I know that's why I post to see whether more people got the same result..... my Sera Calcium is finishing, I doubt I can perform so many tests on it.

• SRC Member

try a few more time and see the results.....i had a period where i have both sera and Salifiert....every time i do a test, i take double readings....I discover that there are times that sera does indeed track after Salifiert....BUT there are quite a number of time on the same sitting, Sera shows 2 different reading and sometime even ridiculas readings.....but for salifiert - no such problem at all.....also salifiert reading gives you 100-200 reading but sera....no such luck....:P

that was when i decided to stick to salifiert as consistancy is as important as accuracy...

• SRC Member
try a few more time and see the results.....i had a period where i have both sera and Salifiert....every time i do a test, i take double readings....I discover that there are times that sera does indeed track after Salifiert....BUT there are quite a number of time on the same sitting, Sera shows 2 different reading and sometime even ridiculas readings.....but for salifiert - no such problem at all.....also salifiert reading gives you 100-200 reading but sera....no such luck....

that was when i decided to stick to salifiert as consistancy is as important as accuracy...

Personally I am thinking that maybe Sera and Salifert Calcium testkit uses similar solution of testing. The reason why Sera sometimes can give inconsistance result could highly due to the "drop" accuracy (if you know what I mean). Actually I did twice on the Sera Calcium test. The first time, I did like what I normally do ie 1 drop = 1 count and the reading did not match Salifert reading. So the second time, I redo it but using the 1 ml syringe. To my surprise, the testing left exactly the same amount of solution as Salifert ones.

• SRC Member
Cool, so everyone can now buy Sera cheaper test kit and not burn a god damn hole in their pocket for test kit. Maybe should try the other Sera test Kit too, like Ph, Kh etc...

Well done

Need more people to check on this before can say this..... As for which testkit is cheaper, I don't know 'cos never know where to get the cheapest. I just go any LFS and grab one off shelf.... but I know Sera testkit got sell the refill bottle of Sera testkit solution 3. As for Selifert, don't know......

• SRC Member

huh? :shock: I cannot believe it...... no one response.....

I kept reading people perform the two brands of calcium test and actually no one ever tried the syringe method for Sera calcium...... Or any other types tests.....