Zero nitrates finally!

nivlac

• SRC Member

After a year of struggling with my set up and wondering what went wrong despite a low stocking level, I've finally reached the target of zero nitrates when I did a water test yesterday! :)

This was accomplished after I redesigned my sump/ refugium set up to allow for more real estate for macroalgae. My tank does not use a skimmer, and relies on a DSB with #1 sand in the main tank (min 2.5 inches to max of 5 inches) and macroalgae cultivation in the sump/ refugium.

So for those of you struggling to bring Nitrates under control using NNR (Natural Nitrate Reduction), do not lose hope!

• SRC Member
Hi Nivlac.

Can you share what species you have for the macroalgae ? And how often you need to trim them ?

Got about 4 varieties

I have the feather type, which grew well but needs trimming once a week. If not, the older fronds will just turn white and wither.

The moss type grows the best, and is the most hardy. But it enroaches on others and kinds of snuffs them out. Also, they don't seem to take in nitrate very well to use them as a food source for I've grown them exclusively before with little change to water quality as far as No3 is concerned.

I've also got two other types which were plucked from one of the tanks at reef world. These were already very established and grow the best. I believe one of them is C. Prolifera, which is actually the fastest growing species. The other one looks like a small, dark green version of the grape calupera.

• SRC Member

Hey nivlac, whats the NO3 reading of your makeup water?

i tested mine for 2ppm and the tank water tested for 5ppm

i want to hit a lower reading, not sure if getting rid of NO3 in the makeup water helps.

• SRC Member
Hey nivlac, whats the NO3 reading of your makeup water?

i tested mine for 2ppm and the tank water tested for 5ppm

i want to hit a lower reading, not sure if getting rid of NO3 in the makeup water helps.

My replacement water is zero No3 too from the tap. And I use a deioniser some more. Me using Choa Chu Kang water.