Still got ammonia and nitite after 6 weeks

• SRC Member

First if your LR are fully curded , should not have any ammonia spike at all.

Give more info about ur tank, and how did u cycled.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
First if your LR are fully curded , should not have any ammonia spike at all.

Give more info about ur tank, and how did u cycled.

Tks for the reply.

My tank is 3ft by 18" by 20" about 247 litres including sump. Have about 20kg of cured LR from fellow reefers. I have sander wt 350 skimmer in the sump which is not collecting any skimate no matter how I adjust the skimmer.

Tank age about 6 to 7 weeks. First inhabitant was a wrasse introduced 2 weeks ago and still doing fine. The other a elbi angel when up the lorry just after one night in the tank.

My pledge is not to add further LS until the NH4 and NO2 is 0. I don't know how long i have to wait but I will wait whatever it takes for the parameters to go to 0.

Frustrated,

• SRC Member

if it is cured LR then should have the beneficial bacterai on it. During transportation if ever some part of the LR is dead than the dead matters will contribute to the ammonia, so the market prawn is not of the issue. I am only surprise that after six weeks its still not progressing.

Anything death inside? not of wat you bought and put in, but hitchhikers from the LR. maybe an inspection can help

If your skimmer is not working then how to reduce ANN? ;)

Maybe you would like to invite some senior/s to go over your place to have a look and settle it once and for all. :D

Cuz nothing beats a onsite "consultation". :P

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Bro, my guess is your skimmer is the air-stone type.Think it only works if you use it in the main tank and not the sump.

As for cycling, it may take up to about two months depending the type of LR you got and the filtration system you have.Patience is the key.

• SRC Member
if it is cured LR then should have the beneficial bacterai on it. During transportation if ever some part of the LR is dead than the dead matters will contribute to the ammonia, so the market prawn is not of the issue. I am only surprise that after six weeks its still not progressing.

Anything death inside? not of wat you bought and put in, but hitchhikers from the LR. maybe an inspection can help

I also thot that something died from within the LR but no dead creature is to be found. My water did not foul and is not smelly at all.

I am really puzzled and maybe some seniors can do some on-site investigation to solve it once and for all. again I do not want to put in LS when the water parameters are no good.

Thanks to all who contibuted thus far :lol:

• SRC Member

;) Can try live sand. Worked wonders for my cycling... Only abt 4 weeks plus.

Then do a 60% change of water and wait another one week or so... Then u are SAFE! :lol:

And i agree with reefbum, Try putting the skimmer in yur tank for awhile till everything stablized.

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member

I also thot that something died from within the LR but no dead creature is to be found. My water did not foul and is not smelly at all.

I am really puzzled and maybe some seniors can do some on-site investigation to solve it once and for all. again I do not want to put in LS when the water parameters are no good.

Thanks to all who contibuted thus far :lol:

that's the attitude dude, no LS in before good water parameters.

If you have done the inspection, then maybe you ought to consider the skimmer issue suggested by the fellow reefers.

had a reefer buddy using wooden air stone skimmer in the past in a nano tank. he just couldn't get any skimmate cos the T5 and fan are evaporating the water away from the required level of the skimmer even before half of the photo session. change to a venturi since.

Hope this issn't your case.

Cheers :D