Lighting preference

• SRC Member

Hi everyone :D

OK, time to choose the lighting for my 6' x 2.5' x 2.5'

I am going with 4 x 400W, as I only have one cross brace I will be able to mount 2 x 400W either side of the bracing.

I have decided to go with XM lamps, one beacue of their super high PAR rating, and too, becaue I like the look of the colours in Joe Burger's tank Joe Burger's Web Page

Now my questions are:

1) Do any of you have any other suggestions for lighting setup (please note I am going 4 x 400W as ballasts etc have already been purchased)

2) if going with XM, should I go 4 x 10000K or 2 x 10000K and 2 x 20000K, and mount them side by side to blend the colours in?

:thanks:

• SRC Member

can try left 20k, 6.5k , 20k, 6.5k right

PUB will love u so much with the amt of wattage u gonna use ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Agree on the 6.5K and 20K of 400 watters.

Achilles Tang's reef was running this combo and you have seen photos of his reef. :blink::blink::shock::shock: He might have changed fr 6.5k to 10K but the older photos still look awesome and his growth is phenomenal. :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

I would go with the same config, but using one reflector on the left and one on the right... that way the colours from the lamps can blend a little easier.

• SRC Member
I would go with the same config, but using one reflector on the left and one on the right... that way the colours from the lamps can blend a little easier.

i second ur thoughts.....if i were to do like wat reefer_guy had mentioned.

For a 6.5ft, 2 MH infront is definitely nt enough to cover frm left to right but u get good coverage from front to back. The best scenario would be 8 x MH :P . 4 infront and 4 at the back. Or y nt go abit more extreme, :evil: 5 infront and 5 at the back. I believe the blendin of 6.5k and 20k will look great. :blink::lol:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

Was thinking of 4x250W (20kk and 6.5k combo) or 2x400W 10kk or 2x400W 20kk.

Any feedback?

bro, what's the length of your upcoming setup? i was advised by robe to use 2 x 400 in this configuration, which i think is good... but guess will try to go for 2 x 250w 10kk + 2 x 250w 6500k (as advised by scarab) i will put my 400w on standby just in case the 4 x 250w wont work for me

post-22-1111996272.jpg

• SRC Member

i am no expert on lightings actually, just getting tips and advises from experts :D

but IMO, 4 x 250w will give a better coverage in a 4-footer, BUT compromise putting light-loving sps in the lower level of tank as i dont think it will penetrate well as much as a 400w can do....

as for par, not really sure either; 250w 6500k or 400w 10000k i think is the decisive point. If i were to consider 400w 20000k, id rather go for 4 x 250w....