(L&S) Bamboo shark's CRAZE named project "Nitro"

• SRC Member

HI to all Reefers, bros N sis... :D

Another reefer ( bro steven ) and i, ( currently each having a egg :P) will be posting a new thread on Brownbanded Bamboo Shark.. both of us have the same silly craze over Bamboo Shark and therefore decided to post a new thread on this area.

We will post our observation on our sharks's loging, articles, info, care etc etc... either from internet , books, anywhere from as info is useful.. etc etc....

Purpose of doing this.

1) We hope to learn from others who have the same craze before as us who are more experience on shark. And also to interact with Newbies like ourself :yeah:

2) exchange and sharing of rearing experience,logging, observation, getting to know each other etc etc.... :D

3) As an easy info base for others who decided to rear tihs shark :)

All Comments, Infos, Advises, Pics, Videos... etc etc are Welcome.........

We decided to named this project as "NITRO"

:thanks::peace:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Common Names: Brownbanded Bamboo Shark,Brown-spotted Cat Shark

Brown-banded Catshark

Scientific Name: Chiloscyllium punctatum

bndshk34_s.jpg

This shark, the Bamboo Shark, is also called, the Brown-spotted Cat Shark or Brown-banded Catshark. Juveniles like the one pictured above have the bands and occasionlly spots. The adult Bamboo Shark are often plain gray or or brownish.

Hatching The Egg

All that needs to be done is the egg must be on a surface area in the tank, like securing it into a rock crevice for example, with good water circulation. It can take up to four months to hatch.

Characteristics

The Bamboo Shark, if well fed, will be an excellent addition to your tank. Most of the more larger aggressive fish will be all right, but the more smaller timid fish are very poor adapters (i.e. Green Chromis).

Depending on the size of the tank, it will grow to be one foot to five feet. Every Bamboo Shark I have seen/raised likes to sit on the bottom, doing nothing.

The ideal temperature is 76 to 78 degrees (F).

Diet

It has great feeding habits, eating mostly scallops or shrimps.

Guides' Notes

Sharks are predators. When keeping other fish with this shark, be sure they are larger enough that the shark won't try to eat them. The Bamboo Shark is commonly found resting on the bottom of the aquarium, which is uncharacteristic of most sharks. A 100 gallon size tank, or larger, is best for keeping them. This gives them ample room for growth, does not deprive them of adequate swimming space, and gives all the other tank inhabitants the space they need to feel less intimidated by it. Because of its dietary preferences, it would not be a good idea to place it in a reef tank where any prized inverts might be eaten.

the above is extracted from a saltwater website :)

Cheers :)

• SRC Member

Hi... :)

Currently having a Brownbanded Bamboo Shark's egg which i bought from Coral Farm on 19 Feb 2005. :D it have been with me ever since :D

Some past updates pics of my shark egg :)

cheers :P

post-8-1110537687.jpg

photo taken on 11 march 2005.

post-8-1111631791.jpg

the strip are much clearer by vision now compare to last . :blink: . the length of it body shot til it have to bend itself in the shell and movement in the shell seems veri tiring for the little fellow cos too cramp.. :yeah: . seems to me like living in a box :upsidedown:

post-8-1111632018.jpg

the length of the little fellow..compare to when it first taken pics in march 11 :sick:

A small AVI file taken with the little fellow in it.. :)

shark egg video :)

Cheers:D

Hope u guys enjoy :D

p/s :Steven where are u ??????

• SRC Member

Latest Update on the Little fellow 26/03/05 :)

Hi to all :)

* just happen that my baby shark is facing outwards showing it strips.. grab my DC and manage to capture the banded strip of the full length .. :D

* length is a bit longer liao compare to 2days ago ...:):angel:

Enjoys

cheers :)

:lol:

post-8-1111841613.jpg

• SRC Member
lester,

my computer is having problem download from the camera....

but anyway, yours are nice pics... mine not so nice.....

will upload to SRC asap...

........ hmmmm.......... still waiting for bro steven update :P

• SRC Member

Hi .... to all .....

Update on 31/03/05...

Wa this little fellow sure grow fast .. 2~3 days no see... head suddenly become so big ... the head seems to be bigger then the york liao ...

Does anyone know if this size liao... is it hatching ??? or still have to wait for another few week ????

:thanks:....

post-8-1112266133.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hi guys :D

it been a month just i last took pics of my shark egg :D i amost forget i have one hehe.. ok here now doing some recently update on it :P

by the way, currently having two egg now. bro steven was lost in work and for the time begin helping him to look after .. hope i dun forget his too :P

here a pic on the two together.. :D

post-8-1114854028.jpg

• SRC Member
MR Lester,

thanks for looking after my 'baby' !

look like your shark coming out soon... no more yolk for it to eat so it should be COMING out... beware :D

it is my "honour" :D no problem :P

• SRC Member

hi to all :D..

today is the 30th april 2005.. :eyebrow: i was just abt to sleep.. have a long and happy chat with bro shwancl and bro hypervtec over at kopitiam. :D took one last look at my main tank and my new 15 gal.. saw something moving..

MY BABY SHARK JUST HATCHED :P hmm must buy 4D liao .. :P

therefore quick quick find DC and took a few shot of it ..

so happy .. finally it hatch after such long waits.. but i know the problem just begin. dunno if it will feed .. <_< haha steven , urs is still inside.

anyone have experience?? can teach me wat next step to proceed??

:thanks: alot :P

enjoy some of the pics..

BTW, wat should i named it? any suggestion guys ? ?

p/s: sorry the date for the pics shall be 01/05/05, type wrongly

post-8-1114888050.jpg

• SRC Member

ok guys :D

one last shot of it before i sleep .. :P wa so late liao ... will try feeding it some live shrimps.. hope it eats :P

by the way , that is the brother shell still bond inside :D:)

post-8-1114889149.jpg

• SRC Member

found some info :D

share share :P

Most popular store bought shark for smaller aquariums. The eggs are routinely found for sale in aquarium stores but hatching success is highly variable. If the eggs do hatch there are further problems with getting the young shark to start feeding. Those who have had success with them indicate that it may take up to two weeks before the pup will begin feeding. Most likely the animal should begin feeding less then this time or may never begin in the first place.

• SRC Member
wow... feel happy for you.  :D

hope that mine come out soon. btw is my shark still alive ?

your shark very BIG. try to get live foods for it. Cheers !!!

yeo :D

now feeding ghost shrimp to it .. IT JUST ATE A GHOST SHRIMP !!! but so far i only saw it ate once.tried other ghst shrimp but the shark abit stupid lei.. was not fast enought for the shrimp. the shrimp always escape...hmm hope it is a good start. :D

yap steven urs is still kicking.. hmm fron the size of the york, i think it is around a month or so.. :D..

Cheers :D

• SRC Member

from my observation.. my shark sort of sniff the ghost shrimp before attacking.. it always attack from the tail and gulp the whole shrimp whole from behind.. anyone one has similar observation?:)

BTW, it sleeps all day in the day.. is this normal.? not much movement in the day.. more active in the night..:P

cheers :D

post-8-1115006263.jpg