(L&S) Bamboo shark's CRAZE named project "Nitro"

• SRC Member

Hi to all :D

woke up this morning and found something funny. at first thought why my little sharky become so small of a sudden !!! then look around and saw another one.. OMG!!! then realise that the other little sharky have hatched too !!!!...

cheers :D

post-8-1115259143.jpg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Little sharkly part 2 still have its york to him.. hmmm can't stop having a feeling that it is just like human who early give birth :P guess i dun have to feed it till the york vanish :)

BTW.. Congrats steven :P u are a papa now !!!

cheers :)

post-8-1115259569.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi ...

Some updates on the two little fellows :)

Ok Big brother Sharky is eating like a pig now :) around 4 ~ 5 ghost shrimp each day. normally feed during night time and sure this little fellow is active during this time of the day.. :P

as for little bro sharky.. the york is still attacted to it but getting smaller each day.. wanted to capture a pic of it but currenty DC is with GF .. :)

will post pic s of it once Dc is back..

Cheers :D

• SRC Member

TODAY I got attack By Shark ...!!!!!!!

i am feeding sharky as normal wif ghost shrimp this evening... when it suddenly grab the shrimp and sollow it.. before i know it .. it went straight to my finger and i got a bite.......... !!!

OUCH !!!! ..Luckly it did not bleed but i got a shock for the first time ... :P

cheer :)

• SRC Member

interesting Lester, keep it coming.

abit worry for the "latest" sharky because of its york.

good work my friend

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
interesting Lester, keep it coming.

abit worry for the "latest" sharky because of its york.

good work my friend

Hi bro...

Long time no see :P hehe me too abit worried about little sharky withthe york .. bt after some research on the net.. i found out that actually it is quite common for pre mature babies to hatch.. this is due to the warm temperture which cause it to hatch ealier before the time is ripe :D.. in the wild, premature babies shark are veri prone to attack from other pregatory marine life. but i guess it will be quite safe in my tank :P Will continue to observe..

as for the big sharky will have to be more careful when feeding ....

cheers :D

• SRC Member

glad to hear that.

alrite man have care and fun for these 2 fellows

and keep us posted about it.

im keeping track this interesting topic. :lol:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Have you started to feed them other food? Read that they need different diet to keep heathy.

http://www.reeftectonics.com/shark_keeping.htm

An extract;

" When I feed bamboo or epaulette sharks I impale a small piece of food on the sharpened end of a piece of rigid airline tubing. Place the food near to the front of the head and gently wave it back and forth. The shark will usually scurry forward and suck the morsel right off the feeding stick. "

Maybe you should try this method to prevent bitten again by ur sharkie?

Cheers

JC

• SRC Member
Have you started to feed them other food? Read that they need different diet to keep heathy.

http://www.reeftectonics.com/shark_keeping.htm

An extract;

" When I feed bamboo or epaulette sharks I impale a small piece of food on the sharpened end of a piece of rigid airline tubing. Place the food near to the front of the head and gently wave it back and forth. The shark will usually scurry forward and suck the morsel right off the feeding stick. "

Maybe you should try this method to prevent bitten again by ur sharkie?

Cheers

JC

Hi bro ...

:thanks:

it is a great piece of info ... actually trid feeding the bloodly clam we eat.. it seems to like that better.. water usually veri cloudy after feeding as sharks are veri messy eaters ...

as for ghost shrimp.. it sollow it whole.. therefore not much problem.......

• SRC Member

Just Found out the my sharky is a born to be Jumper.. IT Loves TO Jump...

It will be swimming around the tank .. then circle surface a few round before it tried to make it escape.. It will jump.. currenlty due to DIYING the PL light and DIY Moonlight.. the hood have be removed..<_<

Got to cover the tank with plastic sheet.. IT Jump Twice !!! out of it.. Luckily i was around both time... i saw it once myself.... the whole process.. after i caught it tand place it back to the tank.. it seems to be a bit shock.. but after a while.. it would return to normal.. tried feeding.. it ate.. guess everything is ok .i hope no brain damage :blink: ..

As for little bro sharky..... the york is almost gone.. it has a big stomach... i think by tom, the york would be totally gone.. :P to me it look more like a dog then a shark as it seldom swim but "crawl" like a little puppy ;)

• SRC Member
Bro, ur tank may be too small for both the shark liao. Jumping normally means the fish is stressed.

Any plan to upgrade ur tank?

JC

Hmmm still pending approval from landlord for a tub... lei....guess have to do with 15 gal for the time begin... :(:cry2:

Hmmm still pending approval from landlord for a tub... lei....guess have to do with 15 gal for the time begin... :(:cry2:

Lol. . my mom just gave me a warning after i brought a 2nd tank hm two days ago. actually fiber glass tub is a good idea for sharks. lets see can find any for the two sharks. :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

Lol. . my mom just gave me a warning after i brought a 2nd tank hm two days ago. actually fiber glass tub is a good idea for sharks. lets see can find any for the two sharks. :D

hehe .. warning ??? :P hmm wat type of warning ?? no more tank rite :P

Hi Lester bro,

Good work you are doing, keeping record of the sharkies. Not to dampen your spirit, but need to think of the future - what happens when it grows to 2 feet, then 3 feet, then 4 feet, then 5 feet. You will need bigger and bigger tanks. I suppose a 5ft full grown will need at least a 7 to 8 ft tank? That size of tank is very heavy when filled with seawater and I think will require a permit if you are staying in a HDB flat - the floor may not take that kind of weight imposition. I remember a Aquarama I attended 8 to 9 years ago, an exhibitor was warned by the then PPD (now AVA) of welfare concerns over a shark it kept in a display tank. The shark was making turns almost every few seconds because it did not have the space to swim straight. So need to start planning...

Happy sharking. :)

• SRC Member
they should not grow beyond 3ft...

Bamboo sharks

Hi bro ...

from the website.. it stated that max adult lenght is around 41 in.. that means around 3 feet.. hmm therefore a tank at least 5 feet will be just nice rite ?

• SRC Member

bro.. move out... let ur sharks move in!!!! they sure happy like mad.... but remember to fill ur hse with salt water.... :P:P:P

haha...

• SRC Member
bro.. move out... let ur sharks move in!!!! they sure happy like mad.... but remember to fill ur hse with salt water.... :P:P:P

haha...

hmmm ,,,,... maybe i will rent one 3 rm at Westcoast just for it . <_< hehe some more can go ML buy food for it . :)

• SRC Member

Hi bro ...

from the website.. it stated that max adult lenght is around 41 in.. that means around 3 feet.. hmm therefore a tank at least 5 feet will be just nice rite ?

actually a 6footer would be better... otherwise it might just be like living in ur bedroom the entire day... ;) bigger the better...

was inspired by ur successful and had contemplated keeping them before but the new 5fter tank that i'm gonna have, i find it is gonna be too small for them, so i scrap the idea.. nevertheless, it is good to see that ur husbandry skills and willing to provide them is good.. Keep it up.. love ur journalistic protraying of the growth of the bamboo sharks.. B)

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

actually a 6footer would be better... otherwise it might just be like living in ur bedroom the entire day... ;) bigger the better...

was inspired by ur successful and had contemplated keeping them before but the new 5fter tank that i'm gonna have, i find it is gonna be too small for them, so i scrap the idea.. nevertheless, it is good to see that ur husbandry skills and willing to provide them is good.. Keep it up.. love ur journalistic protraying of the growth of the bamboo sharks.. B)

hi bro ...

:thanks::D hehe u are the first person to praise me on this shark thing :P.. hope i will be able to keep it .. but somehow like chances veri dim.. house landload like not approving <_< . the.. tub thing. hmmm... sign ........ :o ..

:thanks:... & cheers :D

post-8-1115818388.jpg