400W MH Problems

Sabella

Hi

I am looking to install 400 W MH for my reef aquarium and have been advised that I will have problems with Algae out breaks in addition to heat issues

Issues with heat are obvious and can be controlled through the use of chillers however will 400 W MH cause Algae outbreaks? If so what can be done to combat this problem?

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

As long as your water parameters are fine, everything will be ok, nitrate,

phosphate..... etc should be as low as possible, if can,zero ppm.

Then everything should be ok.I'm running 2 250mh

and no problems.But must run a chiller, if not, you'll boil your water for sure :lol:.

Yup. Lights is just one of the factors affecting algae growth. If water conditions are kept at optimum,namely low phosphate and nitrate,then nuisance algae wouldn't have much chance to flourish. However, with 400w, i think other types of algae will grow like crazy too right? :P

Thanks everyone this really has helped with my choice of lighting. However one other question regarding 400W lighting is that of burning corals due to such light intensity.

Does anyone have issues with bleached out corals as a result of 400W lighting? If so how do you combat this issue?

• SRC Member

i did encounter 2 corals that bleached out, and they are positioned not more than 2" from water surface. its either u bring the colony to a lower placement or u adjust the 400w abit higher; i'd go for option 2 in that way, the spread would even be better in ur tank....

• Sponsor

if u gonna have a sps tank, a 400watts is the way to go. good in growth n coloration.

algae problem is normally because of high P04 and N03. with a phos remover and a big skimmer, that will solve this issue.

my 2 cents