Shd I jump straight to big tanks?

• SRC Member

I always 1 2 hv my own marine tank! I setup a 1ft nano tank before but due to power trip, the whole tank got wipe out! :(

I intend to setup a 5x2x2ft tank in my new house. But I'm not sure whether is it a right move cos I dun hv experience for those piping and equipments. Basic stuff like water properties is still OK for me. ;)

Nd expert out there to advise whether is it advisable to go into the big setup??? :thanks:

• SRC Member
For sure. One time pain only and will never be thinking of upgrading in future. Another advantage is that with big tank, water parameter could be more stable.

i agree with this

esp on the part about stable water parameters

but one thing u must consider is the costs u will incur because everything u need has to be bigger and more powerful.

hence more costly to purchase and not to mention costly to maintain elec bill hor!

:)

• SRC Member
  • SRC Member
larger tank = more stable water parameters :)

but must also work ur budget lor... no point getting big tank n end up using lousy equipments... ;)

agreed... abit regret buying macro as bioload increases.

btw, even though everything you can get 2nd hand but with big tank, all these stuff can still be ex so work within your budget just like some have said above

• SRC Member

ask urself

wat am i goin to keep?

big fishes?

mix reef?

so if u intending to keep alot of fishes then wif a 522 tank is more then better, but if u want to have reef tank wif certain fish, try a 3 or 4footer instead......

as u know the bigger u go....the more ex it will become

:rolleyes:

• SRC Member
If you are serious abt this hobby then go for the largest tank you can afford.Downside is maintenance and electric bill cost.Have fun.

ai yah...

at most if really cannot maintain in the end.... take out MH... put fl... keep luohan loh.... :P

sure gonna get whacked for putting that statement down.... :fear::ph34r::fear:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

if u can afford a huge tank and the commitment for it.

go for it.

commitment and $$$ are most important

u wont regret it.

happy reefing,

LaW

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Thanks for all your advise! I intend to invest slowly and add the fish/ reef slowly. The basic will still be the tank, piping, pump, skimmer and sump. But my biggest worry is the piping and how 2 connect those equipment if I add one by one at a time.

Can anyone advise how shd the water flow goes abt with equipment such as skimmer, chiller, reactor & etc....?

• SRC Member

My advise is prudence. Since you are moving from a nano tank to a bigger tank, consider the followings :

1. The budget you are prepared to dump into the setup

2. Are you prepared to commit long-term time/interest in this hobby or may change of heart

3. Is the size of tank easily obtainable and sellable if latter of item 2 come true

There are many more consideration before your plunge. As Fuel mentioned, seemed like the most popular size tanks are 4-footers, offering sufficient space and ability to control/sustain of water parameters, at the same time cost may be easier to bear.

Just my 2cents views observing the inputs of reefere here.

• SRC Member
My advise is prudence. Since you are moving from a nano tank to a bigger tank, consider the followings :

1. The budget you are prepared to dump into the setup

2. Are you prepared to commit long-term time/interest in this hobby or may change of heart

3. Is the size of tank easily obtainable and sellable if latter of item 2 come true

There are many more consideration before your plunge. As Fuel mentioned, seemed like the most popular size tanks are 4-footers, offering sufficient space and ability to control/sustain of water parameters, at the same time cost may be easier to bear.

Just my 2cents views observing the inputs of reefere here.

I dun think I will let go this hobby but before I jump into the big setup, I want to ensure that the $, time and effort spend is effective and efficient!

Currently, I still got a few planted tanks and I wanted to try out marine tank! I agree that bigger tank means more time spend and $! In terms of water parameter, shd be easier us I face a lot of problem with nano tank intially as the parameter flucuate alot! Instead, hv 2 chg the type of salt and use mineral water instead of normal tap water!

Btw, hw many Tunze pump will I need for a 5x2x2ft tank? As for the skimmer, any recommedation? Any things to tank notes abt the piping, overflow, sump, etc...??? :thanks:

bro, for a 4-5 feet tank. . the least you have to spend is about $4000. you prob need about 100kg of live rocks, and say its at $5/kg, its already $500. The salt water, sand and necessary equipments will cost another few hundered. A reasonable skimmer for a 4/5 ft tank would be mazzei, H&s, beckett, deltec. . so u wun have to upgrade further in future. However, i believe all these is a worth while investment and i never regretted parting with a few grand for a wonderful tank.

cheers.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

Here's the chklist which will help me to do it right! (I hope! :huh: ) Pls feel free to add yr comment/ suggest! :thanks:

1) 5x2x2ft tank (12mm thick)

2) Skimmer ?

3) Sump layout ?

4) Sand grade/ thickness for Main tank and sump?

5) Pump ?

6) Tunze x nos?

7) Live rock ?kg

8) Type of Lighting ?

9) Piping layout?

10) Salt ?

11) ?

12) ?

...................... :snore:

Here's the chklist which will help me to do it right! (I hope! :huh: ) Pls feel free to add yr comment/ suggest! :thanks:

1) 5x2x2ft tank (12mm thick)

2) Skimmer ?

3) Sump layout ?

4) Sand grade/ thickness for Main tank and sump?

5) Pump ?

6) Tunze x nos?

7) Live rock ?kg

8) Type of Lighting ?

9) Piping layout?

10) Salt ?

11) ?

12) ?

...................... :snore:

Skimmer: mazzei, h&s, beckett, deltec.

sand grade/thickness: grade 1, about 150kg, 4 inch thick

pump: many choices>> tunze, eheim, ocean runner, aqua bee, rio32. . and the list goes on.

live rock: depends how u wan to scape, min 100++++++kg.

type of lighting: 2x250watt mh with 2 atinic sld be the min.

salt: salt mix alone can cost u almost $200 already, maybe can use NSW n salt mix to save $$

you still need FR, refugim lightings, lots of addictives. . etc etc

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

go for width like 2.5 or 3 feet.

make the base glass thicker.

having longer width allows u to play with it more.

well just my 2 cent

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
bro, for a 4-5 feet tank. . the least you have to spend is about $4000. you prob need about 100kg of live rocks, and say its at $5/kg, its already $500. The salt water, sand and necessary equipments will cost another few hundered. A reasonable skimmer for a 4/5 ft tank would be mazzei, H&s, beckett, deltec. . so u wun have to upgrade further in future. However, i believe all these is a worth while investment and i never regretted parting with a few grand for a wonderful tank.

cheers.

lyz77

my 5x2x2 cost me $3000/-...price has taken into consideration salt purchase and pipings purchases

i have only 120kg of #1 sand and 60-70kg of liverocks (2nd hand)