Cupramine Treatment

Thats why we use 0.5mg for cupramine instead of 0.1-0.2 mg with CuSO4. But I guess for simplier invertabrates it will be more deadly. Esp free floating ich. Notice that there is no algae problem in the hospital tank?

I myself have this problem and in fact is doing the same thing as seamonkee. I started on 15 Apr and lost 1 yellow tang so far. In my hospital tank I have 3 common clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 purple tang and 1 royal gamma. I intend to treat them for 30 days.

BTW cupramine is not that hard to find. But PetMart has the cheapest one around. I got mine at almost twice the price.

bro, do keep us updated on ur quarantine tank. i am thinking of setting a 2ft one as well after losing a powder brown, a orange-back and other tangs. for now i am only keeping the more hardy fishes n stay clear of tangs.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
Thats why we use 0.5mg for cupramine instead of 0.1-0.2 mg with CuSO4. But I guess for simplier invertabrates it will be more deadly. Esp free floating ich. Notice that there is no algae problem in the hospital tank?

I myself have this problem and in fact is doing the same thing as seamonkee. I started on 15 Apr and lost 1 yellow tang so far. In my hospital tank I have 3 common clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 purple tang and 1 royal gamma. I intend to treat them for 30 days.

BTW cupramine is not that hard to find. But PetMart has the cheapest one around. I got mine at almost twice the price.

Gosh no kidding... double the price.... damn LFS... :lol::D

U start at the same date as I.... good luck to all our fishes, bro! :lol::D

BTW, my sailfin tang is taking nori seaweed again today... *phew*.....

a bit siao siao this fish..... :lol::D

My sailfin is already into its 14 days treatment.... gonna keep it going to 30 days too.... ;)

• SRC Member
actually i do have a itch magnet in my tank and i wanted to pass to u but i have a hard time catching it lolx. Its a v.smart powder blue tang

No worries... meyer road dude... ;)

Are those your rabbits? Nice-lop ears.... :lol::D

Skip the Powder Blue Tang and pass me one baby lop ear instead when it breeds... :lol::D

• SRC Member
seamonkee maybe next time u can setup a hospital tank and charge consultation fee for "patients". Special prescription will cost extra ;)

Nay... too much liability involved....

Worse scenario I can think of:

someone pass u a very sick fish, expect u to make it healthy again as if you are God, fish died in the process of treatment, then sue u for $1,000,000 due to emotional trauma suffered...

:lol::D

I rather do it for fun and friend reasons and besides, if you help someone "revive" his fish (if I really so lucky lah) and then he puts it back into his tank where there's poor water parameters or parasitic infestation... then what good does it serve?

Bottomline: ALL REEFERS SHOULD PRACTISE SETTING UP QUARANTINE TANKS AND PRACTICE QUARANTINE.... gosh, I'm like promoting a cult.... :lol::D

• SRC Member

Another 3 days and Sailfin is doing fine... feeding back on nori seaweed but giving the ocean nutrition pellets a pass....

Funny thing, my wife and I were commenting how "too clean" the fish looks... Here's the pix...

The fish took on the lightest pale shade that I have ever seen ... and the black bold stripes hardly appear over the past 6 days of treatment....

I wonder for sailfins do they turn pale when stress or is it the reverse? Previously, when fighting for territory with other fishes in my main tank when first introduced, he turn dark with black bold stripes.... then over time, he took on a lighter shade... but once in a while, when stressed, he appears dark...

Hmmpph, maybe someone can advise on this...

Later end up I got a white tang... too clinically clean :lol::D

post-21-1114760860.jpg

• SRC Member

hi bro...

maybe the fish is stress?? will gain back it's colour when u return it into ur 5ft :P

Cheers :)

You seem to miss altogether the point i am asking.... <_<

Maybe I did not explain it well.... :lol::D

You see, my Sailfin tang turn really dark (darker than the above adult pix u see) during episodes of stress previously in my five foot tank w other inhabitants...

When I first bought it, it was also really dark in a highly stressed shop * u know where... (R****n)....

So, I presume sailfin turn really dark when stress (darker than the above adult pic u see)...

BUT NOW... THIS IS THE WEIRDEST LIGHTEST SHADE I HAVE EVER WITNESS IN MY SAILFIN OR ANY OTHER SAILFIN....

That's the interesting part.... got it now?

In schematic drawing:

EXCEPTIONALLY DARK - when newly bought and in stress episodes

NORMAL DARK (Like adult pix above) - sailfin took on this colour most of the time when I have him in the main tank... so I presume this is normal...

LIGHT - Once in a while but observed to be very active still when still in main tank

SUPER DUPER LIGHT - After I transfer to QT and administer copper.... This is the current state....

• SRC Member

This is the super duper lightest colour I have ever seen for the first time....

Black strips are real fainty and almost non-existence in the mid body onwards.....

Wonder if this has to do with the copper.... :lol:

Or the hot spell? :huh:

Anyway, as what bro lester says, only after the treatment and back into the main tank will I see the end result..

Anyway, as my thread title suggest... I am just recording what I observed daily.... so any answers from bros with sailfin experience is a bonus...

• SRC Member

Sailfin regain to a slight dark colour tone today.... got me worried because thought it was HLLE at first...

BTW for bros who are starting copper treatment like I did, be careful really not to overdose or whatever... you gotta religiously measure the concentration and adjust accordingly... esp in these days hot spell where evaporation can change the concentration of your copper drastically....

copper can be an immune system suppression and in some case, cause HLLE... so dose it carefully...

Read this article and you will understand... ;)

HLLE and Copper Treatment

• SRC Member

17 days to the treatment (at 0.5ppm) and fish is doing well in colour and all.... actually, the fish looks lively than it previously does...

One of the perks of having the QT is that I can actually train my fish to feed from my FINGERS!

Previously my sailfin tang don't do that, it shun and hide in caves when it see my hand coming into the water... Now, I move my hands in front of him in the QT and it follows everywhere I go... This include feeding from my hand direct...

So fun... :lol:

• SRC Member
QT water param tends to be poorer condition. How you manage that? Weekly water change?

Just found out my QT got Nitrite (<0.25).

I'm using an ammonia badge.

In reality, yes... but if u use water from your main tank and do some of the following, u still can emulate good water conditions though may not be as 100% good as your main tank's... the only thing is that QT tanks usually dun employ the use of a skimmer...

1) Erect quarantine tank at a place where it is shady and cool.... I put my tank near the kitchen toilet area where there is a constant breeze...

2) Check for ammonia, nitrite, pH, kH weekly or when suspected.... I test my every 3 day or so...

3) 20%-30% water change using main tank water every now and then depending on water conditions...

4) Use a more powerful hanging filter and change the filter wool inside regularly... Mine has an added plastic component for biological bacteria growth too...

5) Use a powerhead to keep water currents moving in QT...

6) Keep feeding minimal and siphon out all uneaten food immediately! Avoid brine shrimp or bloodworms that can pollute water easily...

BTW, Ammonia badges are highly unreliable... may be used as a secondary measure but not a primary defense...

If u want to read more about QT practices... here's a good start...

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/quaranti.htm" target="_blank">http://www.wetwebmedia.com/quaranti.htm

• SRC Member
17 days to the treatment (at 0.5ppm) and fish is doing well in colour and all.... actually, the fish looks lively than it previously does...

One of the perks of having the QT is that I can actually train my fish to feed from my FINGERS!

Previously my sailfin tang don't do that, it shun and hide in caves when it see my hand coming into the water... Now, I move my hands in front of him in the QT and it follows everywhere I go... This include feeding from my hand direct...

So fun... :lol:

Congratulations....you have successfully turned your sailfin into a Luohan. hahaha

I'm doing QT for my PBT too. Hope it is ready to go into the main tank. :)

• SRC Member
bro seamonkee,

How is the treatment going?

Looking good.... sailfin damn active.... I'm enjoying its response to my fingers... If I can train all my fishes to finger feed, then that will be great... :lol:

But can only go into main tank in Mid June because I am leaving my main tank fallow for 8 weeks....

I am starting another QT tank (at the bottom of the rack) to experiment on another fish... this time round, I'm looking for one that is really ich infested.... :lol:

I know which LFS to go to... :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Looking good.... sailfin damn active.... I'm enjoying its response to my fingers... If I can train all my fishes to finger feed, then that will be great... :lol:

But can only go into main tank in Mid June because I am leaving my main tank fallow for 8 weeks....

I am starting another QT tank (at the bottom of the rack) to experiment on another fish... this time round, I'm looking for one that is really ich infested.... :lol:

I know which LFS to go to... :rolleyes:

looks like we found a SG Reef vet :D:D

Enjoy your fruitful project bro..