live rock ?

• SRC Member

yap..

all the living org in the rock will die.. and will also smell when they die and stink ur tank.. this happen to one of my friend cos he saw the rocks got lots of worms and colour ( coraline aglae ) OMG..

• SRC Member
yap..

all the living org in the rock will die.. and will also smell when they die and stink ur tank.. this happen to one of my friend cos he saw the rocks got lots of worms and colour ( coraline aglae ) OMG..

thats a funny one, contribute it to reefkeeping. lolz

but who dun learn from mistakes? :ph34r:

Lester its right, after washing with tap water, ur tank will go bad bad bad.

as it stink so much, when i just into this hobby, i actually use tap water to wash my LR, the next day, it stink my whole room.

anyway, deadrocks will also be brought back to life if giving some time.

just like mine, their still inside my tank.

happy reefing and welcome to SRC

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
To save all the trouble buy cured ones. But the cost :whistle. That is if you are willing to spend.

sorry, i'm new to this.. but what do you mean by cured? lfs clean them for you? how do we know if it is cured as both looks the same right?

thanks

• SRC Member
new to marine , need to know will live rock become dead rock , if wash it with tap water ? or how we can tell if it become dead rock .. thank

feel the pulses on the rock and listen for the heart beat....

• SRC Member
anyway, deadrocks will also be brought back to life if giving some time.

just like mine, their still inside my tank.

no wonder you cant get to sleep....

you busy practising how to revive dead rocks si boh?

<_<

• SRC Member

no wonder you cant get to sleep....

you busy practising how to revive dead rocks si boh?

feel the pulses on the rock and listen for the heart beat....

<_<

hahahaha you are darn full of shit.

and yea, nice avatar :lol:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

sorry, i'm new to this.. but what do you mean by cured? lfs clean them for you? how do we know if it is cured as both looks the same right?

thanks

use the smell test... usually cured ones do not hav pungent smell... n they do not hav lotsa macroalgae on them ;)

n u got to buy it from reliable lfs who will not cheat u whether it's cured a not :)

• SRC Member

lawson,

most people would advice you against tap water treatment of liverocks...i wouldn't disagree with them...but its not what i practise

i practise freshwater treatment on my liverocks (i don't think my LR are cured, $8/kg only)

these are the steps i take:

1) use a strong jet of tap water and blast the liverock holes....then you'll see crabs and some dead sponges falling off

2) leave rocks to stand for 5mins...in the absence of saltwater, some nasty things will fall off...

3) soak rocks for 5mins just to be sure

for my liverocks, using these methods has sure allowed me to get rid of at least a handful of crabs

about the rocks becoming dead...well, i personally don't like the idea of skipping freshwater treatment, then in the future having to worry about and trying to catch crabs, unwanted snails etc etc

as for good bacteria, i try to minimise loss by keeping the treatment short...the steps above take at most 15mins

also, during the cycling period, the bacteria will come back so isn't much of a concern

as for smell, well...cycling will also have smell...trust me :)

so that's my practise...not in anyway to flame others, but just another side of freshwater treatment for you to think about :)

• SRC Member

For new set-up, I would suggest you don't wash the LR with tapwater.Getting rid of crabs and other pests can be done prior to putting in the tank.Washing the LR with tap water will lengthen the cycling period as well as introduce PO4 and copper which will leach back into the water.

For adding of new LR into established tank, you may choose to use the tapwater method but with caution.Best if you can let the new LR cycle in a tub before putting in the main tank.

• SRC Member

erm better to go for CURED live rocks rather than uncured live rocks.. it saves lots of trouble of getting all smelly and choky while cycling.. furthermore there's lesser hitchhikers..

• SRC Member

This might seem like a silly question but i'm wondering.. are the live rocks sold in the aquariums the same as those sometimes found washed up on the beaches? Those with barnacles and lotsa living creatures on them... they look just like those sold in the aquariums. :unsure:

I found lots of such rocks as well as live sea urchins yesterday at pasir ris beach, was wondering if i can add these into my marine tank.

How about putting the LR in a tub full of SW and blasting it with a jet of SW from a strong power head ?

Another question ... some LFS are selling volcanic rock... those reddish very very very porous and light rocks. Can these be used in the tank ?