Clam start to gap for no reason?

strat

• SRC Member

Hi,

I have this crocrea that's with me for the past 1yr +. It's been healthy all this while.

Two days back, the mantle begins to retract and it started to gap for no apparent reason. All my other livestock and corals are all ok.

Is it a sign that its time is up?

Also what is the lifespan of a clam in captivity?

Hi,

I have this crocrea that's with me for the past 1yr +. It's been healthy all this while.

Two days back, the mantle begins to retract and it started to gap for no apparent reason. All my other livestock and corals are all ok.

Is it a sign that its time is up?

Also what is the lifespan of a clam in captivity?

check for pyramid snail... check if anything is irritating it... Do a FW dip and it should be ok

• SRC Member

mine oso got big gap lor...........but............

when i use some stick to touch the mantle, the mouth start to spill some smoky smoky stuff, looks like alot of small dots leh.......

spawning while dieing?

it continuos for 1min after the touches!!!

anyone know wat is this huh?

:blink:

• SRC Member
mine oso got big gap lor...........but............

when i use some stick to touch the mantle, the mouth start to spill some smoky smoky stuff, looks like alot of small dots leh.......

spawning while dieing?

it continuos for 1min after the touches!!!

anyone know wat is this huh?

:blink:

before a clam goes heaven, it usually will spawn.

just monitor your clam closely...if continue to gap and not responding to movement, its time is near.... :erm:

choy choy choy...

if tank crash due to them, i would have deduced that it was due to 'bad fengshui' and closed shop liao :lol:

thankfully that time was using 2 skimmers (aquaC and H&S) and they were up to the job of cleaning up the spawning so had no chance to restart the tank or wait for another auspicious year to 从头再来 :lol:

anyway, that incident taught me not to keep so many clams because if one spawn, it will trigger a chain reaction and also my lady started to lose interest in them (yes, she used to like walking pass and put her hands over them and see their reaction...slowly she got bored of them :lol: ) and thus decided to cash them out for my quattro project....

if not where got $$ to build my quattro at that time...tat time wayne enterprise facing cash flow problems :lol: