beckett skimmer

dreamzcape

bro, u wun regret getting a beckett. personally, i feel that most becketts are more or less similar, e only difference is the design and footprint etc. i mean for normal becketts, not considering the dual-beckett or 2m tall ones. seen the aquamarin beckett working on my friend's tank like a charm. :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

bro acidjazz is rite, they are almost similar. With beckett, your concern should be the pump driving it. Vendors now offers different mix of pumps. Beside the power behind it, other misc consideration may be noise level, heat issue. Trust me, you wont want to hear the pump humming all day long.

• SRC Member

hmmz ok...with such warm support i'll probably get one soon! i know the pump is very important for beckett...aquamarin offering an atman 5500 with the beckett model i'm choosing...any of your bros got any comments on that pump whether noisy and all that? 5500 meaning around 5500lph?

anyways i think using their 2 foot beckett for my 2 x 1 x 1.5 is abit overkill BUT it's an investment for my future project which would be 3 or 4 feet =)

thanks bros for comments and keep them coming!

• SRC Member

just realised after reading a few threads that pumps for becketts are usually hot or noisy or high power consumption. can beckett using bros confrim this for me? the noise and heat factor is very important to me and may be the deciding factor of whether i'm getting a beckett or not.

Thanks in advance

• SRC Member
just realised after reading a few threads that pumps for becketts are usually hot or noisy or high power consumption.  can beckett using bros confrim this for me? the noise and heat factor is very important to me and may be the deciding factor of whether i'm getting a beckett or not.

Thanks in advance

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=23239&st=90

Anyway, this is my advice for beckett users....

once you have decided on this *school* of skimming....there is not point trying to save electricity...because becketts derive their performance from pressure rated pumps that can push a great deal through the venturi and withstand the backpressure...if you open up the beckett injector, you will notice that it is actually a great deal of resistance that the pump has to push through....

it is like you decided on a fuel hungry ferrari but want to save fuel with the fuel economy of a toyota corolla engine. if you have decided on the ferrari...go ahead and flaunt it....and burn the petrol that the engine yearns for....

there is no point buying a fuel hungry ferrari but yet lightly tapping on the accelerator everytime you drive hoping it consumes like a toyota engine....you are just depriving both the ferrai the energy it deserves and you yourself the fun of owning one...

just like if you want to save electricity with a beckett...you probably have to look elsewhere for other schools

i have played with a number of pumps through the injector....can easily see the difference 

• SRC Member

bro koni, thanks for sharing that thread. I do understand the point you're getting across. Power consumption will be high, that i understand, and i guess with power consumption comes heat too. If that's the case all i'm looking for is quiet. Have read some reefer comment that the Iwaki 70 is quite noisy although its one of the cooler pumps around to drive beckett.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

A pic of my new RM mini beckett (6" x 24") running on Rio 20HF (50W) for 2hrs. Just took me 15mins to tune it and here's the cotton candy........very happy with the result. Thanks Joe_p for the wonderful product!!!

Who says beckett have to be run on a high power consumption pressure rated pump?

Eric

post-14-1117094756.jpg

Small becketts you can make do with pumps like Rio, although I am still pretty skeptical of the longevity of the Rio pumps compared to industrial strength pressure rated pumps....but yes, they have shown to be able to sustain the high flow at point of injection due to the relative short height.

For big and especially tall becketts, by the time the water flow reaches the injectors which are already of some height...say 1.7m to 2.0m high, the Rios would not be able to match the same flow of the pressure rated pumps at point of injection. That's when the pressure rated pumps make the difference.

Glad to see another beckett user here, happy skimming ;)

• SRC Member
Small becketts you can make do with pumps like Rio, although I am still pretty skeptical of the longevity of the Rio pumps compared to industrial strength pressure rated pumps....but yes, they have shown to be able to sustain the high flow at point of injection due to the relative short height.

For big and especially tall becketts, by the time the water flow reaches the injectors which are already of some height...say 1.7m to 2.0m high, the Rios would not be able to match the same flow of the pressure rated pumps at point of injection. That's when the pressure rated pumps make the difference.

Glad to see another beckett user here, happy skimming ;)

Ya you are right roidan, It all depends on the height of the beckett.

Eric

• SRC Member
And also, no matter wat, becketts will always be viewed more power hungry than needlewheels....why?

Because I have seen 38W needlewheels and also 18W needlewheels.....but I don't think we will ever see an 18W powered beckett :lol:

micro Beckett?

• SRC Member

micro Beckett?

lol...if can manufacture one that runs on low power pump and still perform the same as normal sized becketts...wah...sure make money man! ;):lol:

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member

Get it dreamscape, You wont regret it.................your tank will look much clearer and free of detritus/particles flying around.............attached is the latest pic of my RM mini beckett on Rio 20HF after running for 24hrs...............the DOC that my Macro can't reach........

Eric

post-14-1117167359.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

according to experience using a beckket/../// i found it very high maintainence....... once u clean the skimmer.... and you on the power...... it does not give u the skimmate you want it.. so u must retune the air once you disturb the skimmer..... very very very high maintainence......

• SRC Member
hmmz...will see how after aquarama...now 3 sponsors having becketts, probably getting one thats 2ft in height.Guess will have to ask the dealers themselves on their recommendations. Thanks all for input!

"a fruitseller will always tells you that his friuts are sweet".

dun believe, try it out at the wet market.

dun believe too much from a dealer, he probably only wants you to spend (more if possible) money in his shop.

If you can live with a power hungry pump, then go for the biggest Beckett you can housed. last you for future upgrade, plus the fact that you can never over skimmed your tank