my mg drop

damienkee

• SRC Member

I got the same problem.My MG is 1070ppm but my calcium is 500ppm. Ive been dripping MG trying to raise it 25mg/L 2day once...using Seachem. I am using Salifert test kit. Due to this, I was advice not to add calcium or Kalk. I didn't check my KH cuz waiting for Salifert stock to arrive.

I change water about once in two weeks and using Coral Life salt.

Corals all doing ok except my yuma... :cry:

Plse advice. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Encountered this problem before.Did water changes but to no effect.It was then I found out that certain saltmix has low Mg.Make more water changes with a different saltmix but seem to increase only a little.After reading from a magazine, I discovered that my SG was at the lower end about 1.022.I set out increasing my SG to 1.025.Now my Mg problem is solved.

im using redsea saltmix. coz here i can only purchase this. bside of this, that is sera. which is not recommend by the lfs. my salinity is 1.023,

kh=9

ca=320

mg=800 (drop heavily) b4 =7++

the whole bottle of mg is almost finish by me. and im start loose passion from this oreadi. my bubble not open at all. the first time water change mg reach 1+++. and my bubble open happily. but now... any idea to boost up? and i start to feed my bubble with market prawn hope to keep it survive. i drip kallwasser daily. :( hope to supply some ca for my bubble.

• SRC Member
im using redsea saltmix. coz here i can only purchase this. bside of this, that is sera. which is not recommend by the lfs. my salinity is 1.023,

kh=9

ca=320

the whole bottle of mg is almost finish by me. and im start loose passion from this oreadi. my bubble not open at all. the first time water change mg reach 1+++. and my bubble open happily. but now... any idea to boost up? and i start to feed my bubble with market prawn hope to keep it survive. i drip kallwasser daily. :( hope to supply some ca for my bubble.

Used Redsea before for my water changes not knowing it was low in Mg (didn't have test kit at that time).Over time my tank overall Mg went down a lot.Now I use Instant Ocean.

• SRC Member
hi bro reefbum,

beside of saltmix, any other idea to boost up my mg? or mayb like wat u said, increase my water salininty to 1.025? 

Get EPSOM salt to dose loh. Use the link below to see how much and dose it slowly over days.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

kh=9

ca=320

Before I dose any kallwasser everything is normal. high Mg, kh, Ca but once i start to dose kallwasser everything drop. try dosing kallwasser a few time but same thing happen. so I stop dosing kallwasser totally and every thing back to normal till now.

Before I dose any kallwasser everything is normal. high Mg, kh, Ca but once i start to dose kallwasser everything drop. try dosing kallwasser a few time but same thing happen. so I stop dosing kallwasser totally and every thing back to normal till now.

ok bro, i will stop using the kallwasser for some time 1st 2 c the result!

thanks Bro!

• SRC Member

I wz told to correct the MG first then Calcium . So I am focusing on adding MG every 2 days once till hit the required reading. Don't give up, this hobby needs patience.

You'll make it if you don't quit :peace:

• SRC Member
QUOTE (koniyakutz @ May 10 2005, 05:35 PM)

http://www.singaporehydroponics.com/images...-_landscape.doc

Can these be used too?

minimum 98 % pure FERTILIZER GRADE soluble nutrients that can be used to prepare or adjust nutrient solution - strictly for use as plant food only

K10 LUSHGro - Calcium Chloride

K21 LUSHGro – Magnesium Sulphate 

bro, i do not kno wat the link for, but i think that is for fresh water only rite? will it increase the mg for salt water?

thanks! bro:(

Magnesium Sulphate = EPSOM salt in layman term. I believe the above two product can be use to raise calcium and magnesium.

PS: I take no responsibility if it crash your tank. U must know what you are doing if you use diy additives.

Magnesium Sulphate = EPSOM salt in layman term. I believe the above two product can be use to raise calcium and magnesium.

PS: I take no responsibility if it crash your tank. U must know what you are doing if you use diy additives.

hi kareen,

epsom salt contain high sulphate and this morning b4 i come out to work, i do check on my tank, and i realise my macro algae is getting white, is this oso related to the epsom salt? :(

• SRC Member
hi kareen,

epsom salt contain high sulphate and this morning b4 i come out to work, i do check on my tank, and i realise my macro algae is getting white, is this oso related to the epsom salt?

Your macro algae getting white which may be due to other reason. ie light, nitrate, etc. I did experience grape calepera going asexual not too long ago when I add sugar to reduce nitrate and not the other type of calepera algae in my sump. It seems to me that the grape macro algae is much more 'sensitive' to the drop of nitrate.

From my understanding, Mg play a role in maintaining the Ca and dKH => more stable Ca level and dKH level and when within specification is unlikely to cause any adverse effects. How much epsom salt have you add in that you supect is the EPSOM salt causing it?

As for high sulphate, do you do partial water change? I did not experience much problem in using EPSOM salt to raise Mg level all the while 'cos I still do partial water change in one to two months time frame.

• SRC Member

MG is like a bridge to corals and LR. If your Mg is low, your corals and LR cannot absorb calcium well thus calcium level became high. In human....if you consume calcium supplement without magnesium, the calcium supplement will be a waste and bypass your bones.....my 5cents worth of knowledge.

So focus on raising your MG. :peace:

Your macro algae getting white which may be due to other reason. ie light, nitrate, etc. I did experience grape calepera going asexual not too long ago when I add sugar to reduce nitrate and not the other type of calepera algae in my sump. It seems to me that the grape macro algae is much more 'sensitive' to the drop of nitrate.

From my understanding, Mg play a role in maintaining the Ca and dKH => more stable Ca level and dKH level and when within specification is unlikely to cause any adverse effects. How much epsom salt have you add in that you supect is the EPSOM salt causing it?

As for high sulphate, do you do partial water change? I did not experience much problem in using EPSOM salt to raise Mg level all the while 'cos I still do partial water change in one to two months time frame.

hi bro, (kareen)

3/4 teaspoon. for my 2 feet tank.

not yet chage water, coz im adding it last nite, so tonite will check it out 1st. am i doing it ok?

MG is like a bridge to corals and LR. If your Mg is low, your corals and LR cannot absorb calcium well thus calcium level became high. In human....if you consume calcium supplement without magnesium, the calcium supplement will be a waste and bypass your bones.....my 5cents worth of knowledge.

So focus on raising your MG. :peace:

thanks bro! (Jackal)

im oreadi stop adding any ca, and stop driping the kallwaasser from last nite!tonite might b kno e result!