NITRATE PROBLEM

beaver

• SRC Member

Hi All Reefers out there,

I have a 3 x 2 x 2 feet tank set up since Aug 2002. Since an outbreak of ich which killed many of my fishes (heartache!) in 2003, I am ASHAMED to say that the tank have deteriorated to an extremely toxic cesspol (not exactly, but my nitrate level is off the roof!). Currently, there is no coral but only fishes (a maroon clown, a blue devil, a domino damsel, a golden angel and a smallish yellow angel). When I mean high level, I mean its at the highest level my test kit can measure - CRIMSON! I am really repentent and really DESPERATE. I am trying to introduce corals but I want to be absolutely sure that the water condition is perfect before doing so. Mine is a IOS with poly filter and coral chips in the sump, I use GAC and changes every week and of course a protein skimmer. I suspect its the coral chip compartment is the main culprit that is causing the problem...or my algae-crusted live rocks...or the grade 0 gravel...oh, i don't know. Out of pure stupidity (I didn't measure my nitrate then), I went out to buy some soft corals 2 month ago and they literatlly melted the very next day, killing my 3 year old yellow tang as a result (heartache!). I have been changing water regularly but it doesn't seems to help. I thought its time I should seek help immediately. I would really appreciate if someone can come over to my place to take a look to see what is the problem. I yearn for a coral garden and I to get to the bottom of the problem. :cry:

HELP HELP!

Thanks!

• SRC Member

Halo,

I am staying at Kim Tian Road.

Thanks,

Dennis

Are you still having the problem?

I visit my parent weekly (Saturday) staying in Kim Tian (Block 119D). Which block you staying?

I used to have coral chips in my sump but removed it 6 months ago and I am glad I did that, cos' somehow my water parameters improved.

CHEERS!

bro, relaxing. . :D ur issue is not very uncommon. i agree with wad tyrobin said, upgrade ur equipments first, get a good skimmer, add in a FR and change the water in the tank regularly.

take it as restarting the tank.

It may take a few months though. . but its worth it isnt it? :P

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

I got same problem too but I change water regularly,upgrade my equipment and remove the coral chips and change my feeding to once a day. I am using IOS like you too.My corals are doing fine now. If you yearn to keep a coral garden,keep your LS to the minimum and have chiller and MH so that your coral got better chance of survival. Im trying to catch my Yellow and blue tang to give away for adoption to my gd fren [FOWLR].

IMO this works for me.

Good luck :peace:

• SRC Member

Are you still having the problem?

I visit my parent weekly (Saturday) staying in Kim Tian (Block 119D). Which block you staying?

I used to have coral chips in my sump but removed it 6 months ago and I am glad I did that, cos' somehow my water parameters improved.

CHEERS!

Hi Rocks!

Yup, still got the same problem.

I am staying at 118D.

Will removing ALL the coral chips improve the situation? Wouldn't the system crash with no biological filtration? So what is in your sump now?

Is my LS level too high?

I am not sure whether is my protein skimmer is effective but its making a weird hissing sound...the scum collected is a little watery and light brown instead of dark coloured.

Btw, I got no chiller...it that a must?

Thanks! :)

Dennis

• SRC Member

Maybe you want to read this; it work for me.

"The Sugar Method"

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=29276&st=0

For your tank size I suggest adding 3 teaspoons per day for 3 days, then reduce to 2 teaspoons and subsequently to 1 teaspoon or less. Make sure you monitor your PH level not to let it drop too low. The NO3 will remain low as long as you regularly add in the sugar. For me I had reduced it to about 1/2 teaspoon twice a week to maintain a NO3 of less than 15ppm.

Try it, don't think there is much harm considering yours is mostly fish.

• SRC Member

Hi Dennis,

Will removing ALL the coral chips improve the situation?

It improved for my case cos' my coral chips traps lots of fish waste and other unwanted "dirts"

Wouldn't the system crash with no biological filtration? So what is in your sump now?

Currently in my sump

- Activated Carbon

- PO4 remover

- Liverocks

- Skimmer

- 1 cleaner shrimp, 5 chromis :lol::lol:

Is my LS level too high?

You have only 5 fishes (maroon clown, blue devil, domino damsel, golden angel, yellow angel). in a 3x2x2, personally i don't think that's a lot of livestock in your tank. I have more than what you have.. :lol::lol: (2 tangs, 7 damsel, 4 chormis, 2 fire shrimps, 5 cleaner shrimps, 1 invisible camel shrimp, 1 Pink Skunk Clownfish, 1 sand shifter star) :paiseh:

I am not sure whether is my protein skimmer is effective but its making a weird hissing sound...the scum collected is a little watery and light brown instead of dark coloured.

What skimmer are you using? how's the bubble size? tell us more of your skimmer set up...

Btw, I got no chiller...it that a must?

Currently you do not have any coral, fish only tank can do without a chiller. at 30deg fishes are still alright, else the most you can have fans to cool down your tank. But personally, i don't think you need a chiller right now.. maybe in future when you start corals.

Question

A bit more about your tank...

(1) What is your tank turn over rate? Pump size?

(2) What filteration is in your sump now?

(3) What is the average temp in your tank?

(4) Can tell us your water parameters?

I think you shouldn't rush into upgrading equipments without know what is the cos' of your problem. You might end up spending unnecessary money.

CHEERS!

• SRC Member
Maybe you want to read this; it work for me.

"The Sugar Method"

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=29276&st=0

For your tank size I suggest adding 3 teaspoons per day for 3 days, then reduce to 2 teaspoons and subsequently to 1 teaspoon or less. Make sure you monitor your PH level not to let it drop too low. The NO3 will remain low as long as you regularly add in the sugar. For me I had reduced it to about 1/2 teaspoon twice a week to maintain a NO3 of less than 15ppm.

Try it, don't think there is much harm considering yours is mostly fish.

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the info. It sounds really interesting, perhaps will give it a try! Where do u add to? into the sump? Just normal table sugar, right?

Regards,

Dennis

• SRC Member

sorry to borrow ur threat. juz wan to know whether this product NICHE Nitrate Remover tablet works? N also is BioHome medias same as coral chips??? is it better to take out the BioHome medias??

• SRC Member

I add it directly into other tank(got no sump).

Normal fine household sugar will do. But watch out the first few days, your tank will be cloudly for a while but will clear in no time.

You will begin to notice the gradual drop of NO3 after about 5 days.

Good luck !

• SRC Member
Hi Dennis,

It improved for my case cos' my coral chips traps lots of fish waste and other unwanted "dirts"

Currently in my sump

- Activated Carbon

- PO4 remover

- Liverocks

- Skimmer

- 1 cleaner shrimp, 5 chromis :lol::lol:

You have only 5 fishes (maroon clown, blue devil, domino damsel, golden angel, yellow angel). in a 3x2x2, personally i don't think that's a lot of livestock in your tank. I have more than what you have.. :lol::lol: (2 tangs, 7 damsel, 4 chormis, 2 fire shrimps, 5 cleaner shrimps, 1 invisible camel shrimp, 1 Pink Skunk Clownfish, 1 sand shifter star) :paiseh:

What skimmer are you using? how's the bubble size? tell us more of your skimmer set up...

Currently you do not have any coral, fish only tank can do without a chiller. at 30deg fishes are still alright, else the most you can have fans to cool down your tank. But personally, i don't think you need a chiller right now.. maybe in future when you start corals.

Question

A bit more about your tank...

(1) What is your tank turn over rate? Pump size?

(2) What filteration is in your sump now?

(3) What is the average temp in your tank?

(4) Can tell us your water parameters?

I think you shouldn't rush into upgrading equipments without know what is the cos' of your problem. You might end up spending unnecessary money.

CHEERS!

Hi Rocks,

Wow, sounds like you have a very full tank! you mean u have live rocks and fishes in the sump as well? So, there is a full photoperiod happening in ur sump, then. Hmmm...I can't remember the brand of my protein skimmer - i've thrown away the box but i got problem with the noise its making. My parameters are as follows: Ph 8, temp 28- 29 (no chiller), no ammonia or nitrite, SG 1.022. I don't know what is the volume of the tank turnover. How do u calculate that? I will go and check out the pump size. Basically what's in my sump now is poly filter, GAC, coral chips, wool and protein skimmer. Should I remove the coral chips and admininster the sugar method as suggested by Lee?

Thanks a lot! :)

• SRC Member
you mean u have live rocks and fishes in the sump as well? So, there is a full photoperiod happening in ur sump

Yes, i have liverocks and fishes in my sump, lights on for a few hours a day.

Hmmm...I can't remember the brand of my protein skimmer - i've thrown away the box but i got problem with the noise its making.

Do you at least have a pic of your skimmer to show? reefers here can then roughly tell what brand/size of your skimmer and see whether is it working well or not..

I don't know what is the volume of the tank turnover. How do u calculate that?

How to Determine GPH Water Flow Rates

Quote from the website: "A healthy tank water turn over rate to strive for is 6-10 times per hour. Many aquarists feel that more is better, especially for a reef tank system."

My concern is that if your tank turn-over rate is very low, then you might have dead-spots and trap detritus in the tank.

Should I remove the coral chips and admininster the sugar method as suggested by Lee?

Personally I have no experience on the "sugar method", can't comment on the effectiveness. Should seek experienced reefer's advise first before adding into your tank.

By the way, any pic of your tank and sump (with equipment & setup)... would be easier for others trying to help.

• SRC Member
Want to try here....keeping some clams (at 50g additional tank) and connected to main tank. refug/sump.

Heard some reefer from overseas if clams as NO3 eater.....any suggestion ?

:thanks:

Yup, i understand that clams do reduce nitrate level...

• SRC Member
Want to try here....keeping some clams (at 50g additional tank) and connected to main tank. refug/sump.

Heard some reefer from overseas if clams as NO3 eater.....any suggestion ?

:thanks:

Clams will only help to reduce no3 if u have a big number of them, Dont think 2 or three would help much lah....

I encounter this same problem during the initial few weeks after cycling and introduction of ls. NO3 was way high... off the chart literally...

This is What i did,

- Remove LR and rinse in salt water wash off any trapped debris.

- Dont feed fish till NO3 Stablized...

- Remove any other visible dirt in the tank.

- Take out all my filter medium and rinse in salt water.

- Change water using the dilution method, Change 50% then after a few hours another 50% then again another 50% or 40%. (Make sure salinity and PH is the same hor.) WHY? Think of the NO3 as rose syrup dissolve in water, dilute dilute dilute... ;) This is the extreme la. I did it for about 2 days... corals and fishes are fine... to do this method, its better to buy Seawater la, No need to mix like siao... cheaper compared to salt mixes also. and more or less the sg and PH will be more or less stable if u get them from the same supplier..

Anyway as i said, thats the extreme. Works well for me though. Can give it a try but dont flame me if (TOUCH WOOD!) things go wrong. :P

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Halo All,

I just wanna update a good, no make that fantastic news that the nitrate level has finally gone down today! U can't imagine how estatic I am!! :lol:

What did I do?

1) I was recommended something called AZ Nitrate by Sam of Sealife. Honestly, I was quite skeptical of adding more stuff into the tank but I was desperate! Thanks Sam for saving my tank! I was ready to tear down the whole tank. By the way, Sam is a very knowlegeable reefer, whose no frills approach to reef-keeping really impressed me.

2) Water changes - I continued to change water weekly. Not much though, around 10% each time.

3) Reduced the feeding frequency.

4) Added Poly Filter (not sure whether did that help).

5) Increased the circulation in the tank. I bought another Aquaclear Powerhead.

I will still monitor for at least 2 weeks before making more changes to it (e.g buying corals. Haha!)

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions. I am on my way to a beautiful coral garden! :P

Regards,

Dennis