Is my prata and bubble infected by some disease?

koniyakutz

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

My prata and white bubble has been in my tank for about two months and they were doing very well until I changed to Redsea salt(LFS ran out of Coralife and my tank was due for a water change).

The prata was the first one to show signs of problems, it started expeling zooxanthellae and within a few days it turned from greenish-brown to a very pale colour, I also noticed some black growth on its skeleton. Dispite that, it was still expanding fully and eating market prawn.

Then, my white bubble who used to open really big started shrinking and I too noticed this black growth on its skeleton.

I also lost a clam which was doing well in my tank.

Has some kind of coral disease infected my corals? All these happening within a few days, I have since did a big water change using Coralife salt.

Currently feeding my bleached prata with market prawn 3 times a week, will it die? Can it be saved?

Thanks

dscf00258ih.jpg

dscf00312rj.jpg

my deepest condolences. there are many factors to consider, changing the salt might just be one of them. Honestly, i am changing my tank water between mix of NSW and synthetic salt but doesn't show any signs of problems yet although some reefers advise me not to.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Hi guys,

My prata and white bubble has been in my tank for about two months and they were doing very well until I changed to Redsea salt(LFS ran out of Coralife and my tank was due for a water change).

The prata was the first one to show signs of problems, it started expeling zooxanthellae and within a few days it turned from greenish-brown to a very pale colour, I also noticed some black growth on its skeleton. Dispite that, it was still expanding fully and eating market prawn.

Then, my white bubble who used to open really big started shrinking and I too noticed this black growth on its skeleton.

I also lost a clam which was doing well in my tank.

Has some kind of coral disease infected my corals? All these happening within a few days, I have since did a big water change using Coralife salt.

Currently feeding my bleached prata with market prawn 3 times a week, will it die? Can it be saved?

Thanks

dscf00258ih.jpg

dscf00312rj.jpg

hi, i have been using red sea salt for past 9 months and have never exp such encounter before....

1) chk expiry date on salt packaging,

2) did u introduce the freshly mixed water immediately or after abt several hrs of mixing?

• SRC Member

U might want to chk the water parameter of Red Sea salt..... like the KH and calcium level. I have chk the water parameters of Coralife salt after mix before, they are not far from what the package state, KH 10 with around 400ppm cal.

If what you observe is true (not due to any other factor) then high possibilities that the water parameters is out.

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

I cant say for sure what is the reason but if you are feeding small pieces of shrimps to it, then it should recover in due time. Of course, you must ensure if the shrimp are swallowed in the first place. Had a prata similar to yours a while ago, fed it consistently with shrimp till i sorted the problem. ;)

As for the bubble, I think most importantly is that you must observe if the tenacles are extended when the lights are out. Normally, if they do, then they should be alright for now. You can try antibiotics if the bubbles start to rot. But please use it responsibly :lol:

Just my opinion. :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

I dipped both corals in lugols solution and also, fed them with market prawn on alternate days.

The bubble is recovering, prata started expanding and is eating well. Hope it will colour back again.

dscf00371jk.jpg

is this all u did? i might have to follow ur step.... my bubble doesnt look good! :unsure:

• SRC Member
Hi guys,

I dipped both corals in lugols solution and also, fed them with market prawn on alternate days.

The bubble is recovering, prata started expanding and is eating well. Hope it will colour back again.

hi koniyakutz

congrats on the recovery :)

so did you manage to find what started the problem in the first place?

was it the salt, disease or sth else?

thanks

hi koniyakutz

congrats on the recovery :)

so did you manage to find what started the problem in the first place?

was it the salt, disease or sth else?

thanks

yup! i will hapi to hear that too, coz im so curious.... <_< errrrrr....

dun kno wat to do or where to start! mg? ca? temp? no3? or wat ever..... hharrrrr... :cry: