Advise needed for maintaining Kh

sunny03

• SRC Member

Guys

I have been battle with low Kh since i start reefing

Currently i have an average kh of 8dkh. Been dosing Kh buffer to keep it above 10 but after 2 to 3 days it drop to 8dkh again

Is there anyway that i can maintain the KH above 10dkh ??

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

Any reasons why you need to maintain Alk above 10dkh? :huh:

8 is already quite good and considered very acceptable reading.

However if you really need to bump up and maintain a high alk and dosing buffer is not helping, you will need to install a Calcium Reactor.

• SRC Member
Any reasons why you need to maintain Alk above 10dkh? :huh:

8 is already quite good and considered very acceptable reading.

However if you really need to bump up and maintain a high alk and dosing buffer is not helping, you will need to install a Calcium Reactor.

Cos for the past few months i had added some LPS and SPS. Since then my KH been dropping from above 10 to 8 sometimes even to 5.

As for CR i started using it last week t. So far my Cal maintain at around 510 and my Mg at around 1440. Which is around the same before i start using CR.

Thus will like to know is there any reason why my Kh keep dropping and why cant sustain it above 10 ?? :cry:

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

sad to say i have the same prob as u.

but i was told that it wont do much harm.

Mine always hovers around 7-8 dkH

and cal stays above 500.

But as for my case, i dun even own a CR, just a KR.

pls do let me know if u got any ways to increase ur dkH :)

ps. ive tried buffering but it comes down the very next day :(

sad to say i have the same prob as u.

but i was told that it wont do much harm.

Mine always hovers around 7-8 dkH

and cal stays above 500.

But as for my case, i dun even own a CR, just a KR.

pls do let me know if u got any ways to increase ur dkH :)

ps. ive tried buffering but it comes down the very next day  :(

ur dkH is @ 7-8 and ur Ca @ >500ppm??? that's ionic imbalance.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Ionic imbalance !!! thats bad...very bad news...

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

You will have to tune your CR properly in order to get the correct replenishment of Alkalinity and Calcium. Not too sure about other types of CR, for the Reef Maniacs double chamber CR I'm using, tuning to continuous droplets for effluent, keeping the effluent pH at 6.4 (control using CO2 bubble count), I'm able to keep my Alk at 10.5 dkh and Ca at 400 ppm. I'm using ARM media. I use to have lots of problem with Alk until I learn how to tune the CR properly to achieve optimum effect, thanks to Joe_P.

BTW your Calcium 500+ is considered very high, not too sure if it will affect your Alk. Normally high Ca will give rise to low Alkalinity (ionic imbalance, I think). Maybe you should try to keep your Ca at 380 to 420 ppm.....your Mg looks ok....

• SRC Member

Have you try continue water change with good salt mix method to correct the problem? It always solve mine......

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

Sunny, I' don't hv a CR.. but heres what I would do... I'll stop the CR, top up evaporation with jus alk, e.g. baking soda for the next 3 days or so... measure your alk & Ca... once its to your satisfaction... kick start the CR again... measure the 3 days after for confirmation. You must know the daily demand of your tank first... then proceed to match by supply.

yiling, the same would applie to you... jus match by dozing.