Algae Woes... need help

ervine

The only problems I got with using water straight from the tap were diatoms and probably dinoflagellates. Did'nt get any problems with hair algae. :peace: Since you are not using a FR you might want to turn your phosphate removing media every few days.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Eric 

aiyah bro.. i also wish I can have an RO/DI unit.. haha.. not cheap leh.. hm.. maybe will check out a DI unit first

I've heard this don't use tap water thing qutie often.. how true is this? 

Temporary you can buy ntuc brand pure water $0.65 per 1.5L

Thats what I use too : P cheapest distill water in the market..

• SRC Member
The only problems I got with using water straight from the tap were diatoms and probably dinoflagellates. Did'nt get any problems with hair algae. :peace: Since you are not using a FR you might want to turn your phosphate removing media every few days.

yups.. i just did that...

In any case, saw a DI unit at Petmart going for 85 bucks... maybe after I save up can get that..

In the meantime it's toothbrush versus algae scum..

• SRC Member

Of coz bro, they're all algae mah... :P

Nitrates is nitrates, different from your nutrients level or DOC, u can have high nutrient levels with low no3 coz ur DSB may be very effective in removing no3... :P

Anyway, try to control your feeding and also certain foods are super high in nutrients and also, if u using frozen food, make sure you thaw it and not juz dump the cube in... :P

• A compound containing the NO 3 - ion, for example ammonium nitrate, NH 4 NO 3 .

antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/glossary/n.shtml

• Phosphate is a nutrient needed for plant and animal growth and is also a fundamental element in metabolic reactions. High levels of this nutrient can lead to overgrowth of plants, increased bacterial activity, and decreased dissolved oxygen levels.

• PO4, a nutrient that can case uncontrolled growth of algae in the aquarium

www.seasky.org/aquarium/sea3a.html

• P, an element that is essential for life. One of the three main nutrients in fertilizers. It is obtained by processing phosphate-containing ores.

www.kemira.com/Group/English/Media/Glossary/

• Nitrate is a nutrient needed by all aquatic plants and animals to build protein. The decomposition of dead plants and animals and the excretions of living animals release nitrate into the aquatic system. Excess nutrients, like nitrate, increase plant growth and decay, promote bacterial decomposition, and therefore decrease the amount of oxygen available in the water. Sewage is the main source of excess nitrate added to natural waters, while fertilizer and agricultural runoff also contribute to high levels of nitrate.

www.sbwater.org/Terms.htm

DO NOT USE YOUR TAP WATER FOR WATER CHANGE unless you run it through a RO/DI unit..........................our tapwater is the direct fuel to algae bloom..........from my own experience.

Eric

Thats the fuel for your algae. Ammonium nitrate is commonly used as agriculture fertilizer. Unfortunately, we have it right in our tanks...A. Calfo didn't use the term "rocket fuel" lightly, besides ref. algae growth, it is also highly combustible.... used in the 2001 Bali bombings. :(

• SRC Member
Ammonium nitrate is commonly used as agriculture fertilizer. Unfortunately, we have it right in our tanks...A. Calfo didn't use the term "rocket fuel" lightly, besides ref. algae growth, it is also highly combustible.... used in the 2001 Bali bombings.  :(

u mean there's ammonium nitrate in our tap water?

btw, just managed to test for PO4, 0.1ppm...

• SRC Member

Good heavens, noooo.

Its in your tank... there is excess nutrients, it doesn't come from tap-water and its not correctly what RAV-65 said quoted, your algae is processing the nutrients in the tank, not the bacteria as it should be, thats why they grow so fast in spite of the measures you're taking.

Your PO4 test is for water-soluble(Ortho) phosphate... its not reflective of the real organic PO4 level. Ortho-phosphate (sp?) is consumed very easily, they're suppose to be gone before you can blink your eye..., i.e. it should be close to zero, 0.03 is said to be high.

Wish you luck in taming the Algae Monster soon! :peace:

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Upgrading your skimmer, increase flowrate and and turnover of your water between your main tank and sump ( assuming the skimmer draws water from the sump ) will also help... :P

skimmer already upgraded liao.. of course budget upgrade lah.. but should be good enough for my tank leh... macro 250 needlewheel (If i remember correctly).. been running for abt a month now...

turnover ah.. Hmmm... that one unless i upgrade my return pump woh... KIV first...

Also upgraded the in-tank circulation today by adding another powerhead (on timer to get some kinda surges) directed behind the rocks to remove what I think are deadspots in my tank..

i used to kanna it too ... the green hair algae all over the place .

quick and short term solution

1) get a dozen of snail . but the leave a trail of poo

2)manuelly pluck lor . a bit shag .

long term:

mainly is to combat nitrate and PO4. ur nitrate is okie , how about PO4?

maybe can reduce the photo period for the time being too .

i took like 2 weeks to get rid everything .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

btw, just managed to test for PO4, 0.1ppm...

0.1ppm is sky high already.

PO4 is just one of the few nutrients that can be measured and I believe you used a test kit for measuring that, your actual PO4 could be even higher than that.

Even after you managed to lower the nutrients level in your water column your LR, substrates will continue to leach nutrients for a while so don't give up when those algae continue to grow, they will not go away overnight, you'll get rid of them soon or later if you did the right thing.

• SRC Member
maybe can reduce the photo period for the time being too .

yups reduced liao...

as for snails... the current snails won't touch it so put more snails also no pt... ok will keep working on improving the water quality as well as I can..

Thanks guys, wish me luck!