Is it a must to take dead fishes out of tank

Vincenttan

• SRC Member

really depends. If you have a 200 gallon tank than a dead chromis wouldn't really matter. Should you have easy access to it, then taking it out will gives you a better piece of mind, as long as the disturbance to corals/LS is minimum

• SRC Member

seriously... up to u....

myself... 5 feet tank... with every 4 huge fish dead and decomposing before....cant take it out as all underneath the whole pile of rocks.....

only my royal gamma survived.... :cry2:

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

my seahare was about 5-6cm in length. it MIA since mid april. in earlier may, i tried to locate it body and i removed 1/2 of my tank (3x2x2) LR but i couldn't find it. so, i just leave it and do weekly water change (10%). nothing much happen in my tank. my corals and fishes are ok. still open. only thing that i notice is that algae bloom much more on the LR this month <_<

most of my corals are LPS :)

age.png

• SRC Member

yep plenty of scavengers'll do the job..... my 5ftx2x2 any dead stuff dont last long within hour or so gonzo... sad thing is sometimes live stuffs oso kena attacked...

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

It depends, if u keep mainly LPS, got clean water and a good skimmer, u can close one eye... but still better to remove...

If u keep SPS, the rotting fish carcass can cause the water to foul pretty badly so u may wanna try harder to remove it to preserve water quality for the sensitive SPS... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
It depends, if u keep mainly LPS, got clean water and a good skimmer, u can close one eye... but still better to remove...

If u keep SPS, the rotting fish carcass can cause the water to foul pretty badly so u may wanna try harder to remove it to preserve water quality for the sensitive SPS... :P

yapz :) LPS should be ok :) have been testing my water parameter since my seahare MIA.

P04 = 0.03

N03 = 25 <_<

i guess i can't do much beside water change :P

me going to do more water change this week but slowing to bring down N03 :D

age.png

yapz :) LPS should be ok :) have been testing my water parameter since my seahare MIA.

P04 = 0.03

N03 = 25 <_<

i guess i can't do much beside water change :P

me going to do more water change this week but slowing to bring down N03 :D

How big ur tank bro? If not too big, consider using distilled water... :P

Tap water got nitrates also leh... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

How big ur tank bro? If not too big, consider using distilled water... :P

Tap water got nitrates also leh... :P

ya...just realized that. my tank is same dimension as yours (3x2x2). tested my tap water. it contain 12.5 mg/l of N03. in fact, my P04 has no colour (P04=0) from my tap :blink:

age.png

• SRC Member

I suppose we be practical over this, if the fish is big like a tang, better to take it out if you can see it, mostly you can take big fishes out easily, for small fishes like damsels, it's Ok if you have prawns and other scavengers. I have seen many big fishes MIA without a trace.

Better to take it out if you can but if it is too troublesome like needing you to remove a lot of LR or rescape then forget it.