Diy Lights Hood

schnauzer

• SRC Member

Hi,

thats a very nice tank you have. And great looking DIY lights.

However, I would recommend you change the FL to T5 instead. It would be alot better for your corals. FL (even 3 of them) is not bright enough. Even T5 is barely enough lights for certain corals such as clams.

With your great DIY skills, T5 should not be a problem. Plus you can squeeze 4 tubes into that 3 tube fitting.

Cheers

• SRC Member

if that's the case....might as well change to MH....instead of keep upgrading like what I used to do....FL to T5 to MH...in just 8mths.....

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

• SRC Member

PVC aircon trunking are those square or rectangular plastic boxes that are used to run aircon copper piping...Lah...

They are made from PVC material and as such are good insulators of electricity... Available from aircon shops in different sizes and are stiff enought to support the weight of the tubes plus ballasts...

Understood..ed?? :D

• SRC Member
PVC aircon trunking are those square or rectangular plastic boxes that are used to run aircon copper piping...Lah...

They are made from PVC material and as such are good insulators of electricity... Available from aircon shops in different sizes and are stiff enought to support the weight of the tubes plus ballasts...

Understood..ed?? :D

cool...gives me new idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
here is my refugium diy lights using aircontrunking... will post final prototype (black) after i finish my landscape.

*everythings hide inside the box. using round reflector.

Hi,

Just like to check....would the heat from the eballast affect the plastic aircon trucking?

I am currently considering DIY a light set and I am rather concern if the heat could be a problem.

• SRC Member

Hi,

No... e-ballasts do not heat up much even with prolonged operation... It is the PL tubes that get really hot.... I won't worry about the PVC trunking since it is shielded from the PL tubes by a reflector and a layer of air between the tube and the reflector.... even if your tubes are mounted in the trunking itself like what Anthony has done....

Have fun DIYing... :D

• SRC Member

By the way, forgot to mention.. if you have yet to buy your e-ballast or PL tubes, you might want to consider buying from Orgas... Just bought a couple of elbiru e-ballast from him today... you won't find these prices in Sim Lim, Kelantan Rd nor sungei rd.... trust me I have combed the whole Jln besar area........ damn siong!!

e-ballast: 1x36W -$14; 2x36W - $18 (all with PSB sticker)

AEC PL tube 36W 6500K-$8

• SRC Member
By the way, forgot to mention.. if you have yet to buy your e-ballast or PL tubes, you might want to consider buying from Orgas... Just bought a couple of elbiru e-ballast from him today... you won't find these prices in Sim Lim, Kelantan Rd nor sungei rd.... trust me I have combed the whole Jln besar area........ damn siong!!

AEC PL tube 36W 6500K-$8

wow...tat is cheap!

• SRC Member

AEC PL tube 36W 6500K-$8

Err....."Orgas"? A shop name? and located at?

• SRC Member

Err....."Orgas"? A shop name? and located at?

Hi,

Orgas is a member of SRC, just do a search for him in this forum and PM him. Sorry, I don't think it is appropriate for me to put his contact number here in this post without his consent... after having read the thread on commercial posting and eventhough i have nothing to gain from any sales he make, in fact I just got to know him today when he delivered the stuff I ordered *yes!! he delivers FOC, two thumbs up for the good service*...... why don't you PM me your HP??...will sms you

I am not too sure about the T5 setup, perhaps you can check with him.

I know a cheap source for aluminium reflectors :eyebrow: after having visited so many lighting and electrical shops, about $8 for 3ft length... but left the business card in office ... will post it tomorrow.....