Who uses store bought distilled water?

ervine

For me, I personally will still go for DI rather than RO/DI cuz the DI units are much cheaper than the RO/DI.

Plus the fact that I can't find a good use to the effluent water rejecter by the RO membrane. :)

Hi Bro,

Are those Osim water purifier faucet attach to the TAP consider as DI water? Thanks :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bro,

Are those Osim water purifier faucet attach to the TAP consider as DI water? Thanks :)

No those are just particulate carbon filters. It removes certain imputies but not all.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

i read somewhere that petmart sells DI units? can anyone confirm this?

Yup they sells.

If I remember correctly the sells Kent Marine DI and Aquarium Systems Tap Water Filter. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

asked today.. the tap water filter thing is 85 bucks.. they say they don't have kent marine one.. shrug...

Oops, maybe you would like to contact Henry from ML for the DI unit. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

• SRC Member
Hi,

Actually, thinking of getting a cheap, reliable and effective DI. Anyone can recommend?

Thanks

unless you intend to DIY one yourself, the better unit are sold by ML and good feedback has been provided by some reefers here.

Jireh marine also has one but not much feedback is known.

You can try contacting the respective vendors for the price

• SRC Member

i've bought my DI unit 2-3 months ago, it cost me $280 with additional prefilter to prolong the life of the Di cartridges. If bought separately w/o the prefilter it will cost about 1/2 the price.

I have use it for about approx 600L water changes till now, seems like the DI cartridge is exhausted. Becos whenever i do water change, i test the water. It cant get 0ppm from anymore (even i slow down the flow). It reads approx 5ppm on super slow flow thru the 2 stage filter...

No point buying a DI unit whereby u need to change the cartridge too often (too costly). FOr those who had bought other DI unit please provide feedback here as in how long can yr DI cartridges last (approx how many litres and what brand) :thanks:

**pls provide correct info, eg. readings from TDS meter

• SRC Member
i've bought my DI unit 2-3 months ago, it cost me $280 with additional prefilter to prolong the life of the Di cartridges. If bought separately w/o the prefilter it will cost about 1/2 the price.

I have use it for about approx 600L water changes till now, seems like the DI cartridge is exhausted. Becos whenever i do water change, i test the water. It cant get 0ppm from anymore (even i slow down the flow). It reads approx 5ppm on super slow flow thru the 2 stage filter...

No point buying a DI unit whereby u need to change the cartridge too often (too costly). FOr those who had bought other DI unit please provide feedback here as in how long can yr DI cartridges last (approx how many litres and what brand) :thanks:

**pls provide correct info, eg. readings from TDS meter

I'm using the DI resin on a resun FR-1000 now. Just throw the FR in a red pail full of tapwater and run the pump one day before the water change. The water will be circulating throughout the whole day for ultra pure result.

My friend from U.S. agree to ship the DI resin to me every 3mths. Cost me abt $80 for 1000ml of resin.

Eric

Actually, just to share my findings on this matter, although I wouldn't go into too much detail as I'm too lazy to type, I tink using bottled distilled water is still the best, though maybe slightly more ex...

DI unit's resin wear out too fast.

RO/DI, even if it's 6 stage cannot remove all the impurities, and can never be as pure as distilled water, yet there are so many filters and cartridges u have to to change, which is also $$$... not to mention the waste water.

So why not just use bottle distilled water? :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Actually, just to share my findings on this matter, although I wouldn't go into too much detail as I'm too lazy to type, I tink using bottled distilled water is still the best, though maybe slightly more ex...

DI unit's resin wear out too fast.

RO/DI, even if it's 6 stage cannot remove all the impurities, and can never be as pure as distilled water, yet there are so many filters and cartridges u have to to change, which is also $$$... not to mention the waste water.

So why not just use bottle distilled water? :P

But won't distilled water cost more in the long run?

• SRC Member

I used to order a package of 31x 5 gallon bottle for about $210. That comes to about $7 per bottle. They will deliver 4 bottles at a time. When I finished the 4 bottle (can take me up to a month) than I'll call them to deliver the next 4.

I got it from ProLife. Why I chose them, because they provide Oxygenated Distilled Water.

That was 4-5 years ago. Probably now price increase already. Check it out and do a bulk purchased.

No algae problem at all.

Hi,

Actually, thinking of getting a cheap, reliable and effective DI. Anyone can recommend?

Thanks

I know of some brothers getting a cheap DIY DI set from Sealife, you may want to try it out. If I am not wrong it should be less than $80. ;)

Dr. J.E.N. Veron

Member of:

actually DI unit still cheaper lar..

eg. $7 / 20L drum = $0.35/L

DI Unit

$ 60 / 500L = $ 0.12/L

bro, for pure DI unit, u can't juz account for the cost in this way. u left out your P.U.B bills for the water......... :P how much does 500L of water cost?

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

oops , u r right , miss that :P how much does 500L water cost :huh:

don't think you can consider that the final figure. you must also divide the cost of the DI unit (e.g. $299 from ML) by the total amount you finally use. so say you use the DI unit for 3000 litres of water (for example), you must add another $0.10 per litre. plus PUB water it will come closer to the bottled water price. but should still be less. :)

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

Umm guys for the past few months I used Tap water to topup my tank. no cyno, hari or bubble algae problems so far (6 months since my last 5+% water change)

but ... this is what I did...

I filled a tub with tap water 25 liters added declorinater.

I then poured 3 tablespoons of pickling lime into water and cover top.

wait for 1 day... for brown residue to settle

siphon out the water and then used an air pump to bubble the water for 2 days.

after that a white residue collects at the bottom.

I get about 24 liters topup water this way. (1 liter to wastage)

last me for 24 days :)

the only problem algae I have is coraline algae...