2005 Macro NW Skimmer

rshut

pardon my ignorance...

(1) how to modify the marco (details please?)

(2) what are sanders? - air stone har? :)

(3) Which 3500l/hr pump (brand / model) you refer to, available in the local LFS?

- can this model fit the current macro pump's needle wheel?

- or the 3500l/hr is already a needle wheel pump by itself?

CHEERS!

bro, its difficult to explain in theory how to mod the macro, need to hands on. . :lol:

sorry for not stating specifically, yes its sanders air stones. I believe it will help increase the bubble count and hence increse the efficiency.

Only seen the new macro once, can't quite remember how's the design. Hence can't tell ya which pump to use. May the other macro users step forward and share ur ideas. :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
bro, its difficult to explain in theory how to mod the macro, need to hands on. . :lol:

sorry for not stating specifically, yes its sanders air stones. I believe it will help increase the bubble count and hence increse the efficiency.

Only seen the new macro once, can't quite remember how's the design. Hence can't tell ya which pump to use. May the other macro users step forward and share ur ideas. :lol:

Thanks. if you meant modifying the marco to accomodate 2 air stone, then i think i know what to do... :D but does increase the bubble density by using air stone improve the efficiency of the skimmer?

• SRC Member
how to accomodate 2 air stone in the skimmer?

Not sure about your new model, but if i were to modify mine..

(1) i can drill a hole at the collector cup where by the air tube can go thru' and all the way down to the bottom of the skimmer with an air stone attached at the end of the rubber tube.

< or >

(2) don't bother about modifying the skimmer, buy a large-enough L joint (those use for piping), capped one end of the L joint over the in-take of my current NW pump, while the other end of the L joint is facing the bottom of the sump tank. next place the 1 or 2 air stone(s) just below this end of the L joint, the bubble from the air stone will then be suck up into the NW pump into the skimmer...

hope these ideas work... :D

Not sure about your new model, but if i were to modify mine..

(1) i can drill a hole at the collector cup where by the air tube can go thru' and all the way down to the bottom of the skimmer with an air stone attached at the end of the rubber tube.

THis way , the collection waste will be reduced as there is a tube

• SRC Member
bro rocks. your second idea sounds good... =)

hehe..

thanks...

its not proven, but i hope to give it a try... so ... first must go borrow a air pump and buy some air stone ... :lol:

or anyone one out there has a Macro skimmer, air pump, and air stone to give it a try ? :eyebrow:

CHEERS !

thanks...

its not proven, but i hope to give it a try... so ... first must go borrow a air pump and buy some air stone ... :lol:

or anyone one out there has a Macro skimmer, air pump, and air stone to give it a try ? :eyebrow:

CHEERS !

bro, will fix my macro tmr and show u the pix if possible. :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

• SRC Member

bro, will fix my macro tmr and show u the pix if possible. :lol:

that's great ! ... :bow:

thanks a million !

p/s: for experimentation, actually no need to buy the L joint (if you do not have one) just adjust the NW pump where by the in-take is facing the bottom of the sump then the air-stone right under the in-take of the pump, as such most of the air-stone bubble will be sucked into the pump.. :lol:

• SRC Member
there was a bit difference in the density of the bubbles...but my air pump not strong enough...old pump i must say....i think changing to a higher capacity water pump should be better...what do you think?

So the diff not much har? may i know whether you are using 1 or 2 air stone, what is the air pump size you are using ?

Changing to a higher flow rate pump, i think should be much better.. but I don't think you can find needle wheel pump (abv 2000 l/hr) sold in local LFS seperately.

CHEERS!

the problem is...whr to get a higher capacity NEEDLEWHEEL pump?2000l/hr and above?

DIY lah bro...get a cheap external pump and try see how 1st. :P

if need help can call me. :D:D:D

I am no expert on this skimmer, but have used a Turboflotor 1000 for many years which is a similar type.

Your first problem is it looks like you are using a hang on skimmer in a sump, i think the sump model would be better.

The hang on skimmers work best when the pump is placed as close as possible to the inlet and as close as possible to the water surface. Firstly this reduces the head pressure on the pump and secondly the water pressure which allows more air to be sucked in.

• SRC Member

where's the pics? where's the pics??! =)

hmmm... but wouldn't there be a chance that the inlet is so filled with bubbles, that not enough water run through it?? creating a complete air space in the pump? and causing a need to restart?

bro, ytd just fix up the macro. tonight will take pix. . :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

the macro in action. powered by a sicce extrema. my apologies tt i cant take the design of the entire macro unless i dismantle from the sump.

*note tt i haven't add in the air pump yet*

post-14-1118248002.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor: