Converting to Malawi Cichlid tank

seamonkee

• SRC Member

Yo folks,

As you all know, I have given up on marine and decided to go back to freshwater. Less time needed to maintain lah...

I plan to go into malawi cichlid for several reasons:

1) I can still use back my current sandbed...

2) Colourful fishes still...

3) Least maintenance required...

My plan is to remove my sandbed first and place an eggcrate to prevent toppling of the caves. And reduce my current marine DSB to a thinner layer.

Removing skimmer also from sump compartment and will use coarse coral chips as natural filter + pH buffer (since cichlid needs ph of 8.0)

I need to know if anyone got lobang for nice limestone or recommend a place where I can get cheap limestones to be used for the tank. (BTW, what sort of rocks will be good for an african cichlid setup?)

Also, what are some of the shops that are more reputable in selling african cichlids (who know their fishes and can give advices)...

Thanks!

• SRC Member
I would go for Tanganyikan cichlids. They don't grow as big and they are not as aggressive as Malawi counterparts. Just a suggestion. ;)

how about Frontosa?

how about Frontosa?

I always love frontosa but only zaire blue family is beautiful.. in fact my fav cichlid after calvus....For cichlid, try cichlid forever near hougang area if not wrong(to double confirm i think you better ask ard)....

• SRC Member

if you like to hunt around then clementi avenue 2 has a fishshop. this owner use to have nice display tank of them. Do pm me if interested and i try to get his contact for u.

many monkey years ago i also keep malawi cichlid but they are real mean. the bigger ones gang up to kill the smaller ones... one at a time. in the end from 12 head count to 6 only. they always attack the eyes and stomach.

correct me if i am wrong i suppose PH value is critical to them.