Is Chiller & Sub tank a must?

leonang

• SRC Member

u might wanna try less sensitive corals first... try soft corals n mushrooms, takin small steps at a time....

it is ok not to hav chiller n sump as long as u noe how to maintain ur water parameters rite...

the purpose of sump is actually for easier maintenance and more stable water (increases water volume)... the sump is oso the place to accomodate lotsa equipments like big size skimmers that is hard to be hung on the main tank....

therefore, as long as u noe how to maintain ur water parameters like regular water changes n noe ur stockin limits, the rest is realli up to u... :)

if u do not intend to hav a chiller, ur chose of corals could be limited, therefore, try easy softies and mushrooms first... another thing to note is that at higher temp, dissolved oxygen is lower, hence, overstockin has to be taken greater care of ;)

Its good to keep this at the back of your head: Corals expel their zooxathellae at 30 degrees celcius ;)

Your fan will only provide a heat loss through evaporation and therefore, the temperature will fluctuate quite often. When temperatures fluctuate and coupled with your addition of top up water which also changes the water conditions, your corals will get stressed very easily. As hobbyists, we should not only aim for coral survival but more of coral thriving and reproducing or growing in our systems.

And as mentioned, a sump bears numerous advantages from filtration to increased water volume to a quarantine or even a frag growout.

The combinations are endless and its definately worth the investment :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Even 30 degress still can have coral, in my tank :)

Just practically limited in choice. Colorful coral probably need cool water.

Many soft corals do well in such temperature range, as those are very swallow and at tropical region in nature.

Dunno hard coral, but I would skip them.

• 2 weeks later...

Algae blooms and cyanobacteria will occur and grow more frequently with higher water temperatures. Fishes are also less lively in a warmer tank and many corals including softies won't "open up" so much.

Best to install a chiller sooner or later.

• SRC Member

How about telling me where I can buy a cheap and good samp tank.

I think making 1 bu myself is too difficult for me. Because I am not good in technical work :(

i believe you will need an overflow box. they can cost more than the sump itself unless you get a 2nd hand or the pvc pipe fixture type from Jireh.

there are more than to it than just throwing in a sump, you need to consider pipings, equipment placement and all that.

Suggest you research more before doing anything as it is an important process that aid you in your sump design.

Even 30 degress still can have coral, in my tank :)

Just practically limited in choice. Colorful coral probably need cool water.

Many soft corals do well in such temperature range, as those are very swallow and at tropical region in nature.

Dunno hard coral, but I would skip them.

wow, 30 degrees, i will not consider keeping corals.

:D