1.5ft setup question

• SRC Member

hi

i use to have a plan to set up a 2ft cube reef tank....

however deal to having alot of problem that i had encounted.... :(

thus decided to start with a smaller take that i have before going to a bigger tank....

currently i have two tank... 1.5x1x1 ft

going to use 1 as the main tank and another one as a sump with dsb inside.....

i had already done a diy overflow for it....

lighting: im using 3 pl light.... two 11w and one 18w

im going to keep some hardy fishes....

and some easy coral....

the think im worry is the temp of my tank....and the skimmer....

i found that in order not to increase the temp..... im going to use a air power skimmer .. as no pump in the sump=lower temp....

or skimmer that is being hang on....as the powerhead is located outside....

as one can advice????

and to control the temp..... a small chiller will be nice like teco macro.....

if not im going to but a profantec fan to lower the temp...

can anyone advice which skimmer to get .....????

and any other point i must take note off?... thanks

• SRC Member

you are better off with a hang on skimmer. With that, the choices are almost towards a Prizm or Remora, Although the Remora fare better with many users.

A chiller is a great investment to keep water temp stable(less stress = less disease) but the Teco carries a heavy price tag. Other alternative would be an Artica, Hailea or even a cheap Resun. I know they told you it sucks, but if you are going to start, a stable temp will gives you piece of mind

• SRC Member
you are better off with a hang on skimmer. With that, the choices are almost towards a Prizm or Remora, Although the Remora fare better with many users.

A chiller is a great investment to keep water temp stable(less stress = less disease) but the Teco carries a heavy price tag. Other alternative would be an Artica, Hailea or even a cheap Resun. I know they told you it sucks, but if you are going to start, a stable temp will gives you piece of mind

thanks for the reply....

hmm hang on skimmer......

yep.... price of Prizm seem to drop recently right... might be able to get 1 seconf hand .... :)

and chiller... what is the smaller model????

• SRC Member

hi there thananthosis,

if youre running a 1.5 by 1.5 by 1, with a sump of equal size, i think a six fan fixture should suffice your cooling needs. ive found in my experience that my evaporation rates without turning on my six

fan set, and with it running on a reduced 7volts instead of the normal twelve, is hardly significant. without fan use, daily evaporation is about 500ml, whereas with fan is about 650ml. so what i do is connect a drip fixture (the ones they use in hospitals that you can buy in pharmacies) to a tuperware container and drip that 600ml or so of water into my tank daily. and temperatures about 27 degrees constant so its pretty good. my pocilloporas, gonioporas, xenias etc are are all thriving and growing so parameters are stable enough considering my water volume would be about the same as yours with your sump as my tank is 3ft by 1.2ft by 1ft roughly. previously when i ran a chiller, id get condensation sometimes, alot more noise, and higher electricity bill which my parents complained on end about, so i opted for fans in the end so do consider them ya. if youd like to see some photos of my setup do pm me.

as for skimmer, i think to have an air driven skimmer in a nano will greatly reduce space within the tank as much as it will infringe on the aesthetic quality of the look so hang on skimmer seems best. try to get the red sea prizm. the overflow version is selling at aquamarin for over $300 but you can get the non overflow version second hand for $50 or thereabouts as some good bros advertised recently in the pasarmalam forum.

well, hope that helps,

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member
hi there thananthosis,

if youre running a 1.5 by 1.5 by 1, with a sump of equal size, i think a six fan fixture should suffice your cooling needs. ive found in my experience that my evaporation rates without turning on my six

fan set, and with it running on a reduced 7volts instead of the normal twelve, is hardly significant. without fan use, daily evaporation is about 500ml, whereas with fan is about 650ml. so what i do is connect a drip fixture (the ones they use in hospitals that you can buy in pharmacies) to a tuperware container and drip that 600ml or so of water into my tank daily. and temperatures about 27 degrees constant so its pretty good. my pocilloporas, gonioporas, xenias etc are are all thriving and growing so parameters are stable enough considering my water volume would be about the same as yours with your sump as my tank is 3ft by 1.2ft by 1ft roughly. previously when i ran a chiller, id get condensation sometimes, alot more noise, and higher electricity bill which my parents complained on end about, so i opted for fans in the end so do consider them ya. if youd like to see some photos of my setup do pm me.

as for skimmer, i think to have an air driven skimmer in a nano will greatly reduce space within the tank as much as it will infringe on the aesthetic quality of the look so hang on skimmer seems best. try to get the red sea prizm. the overflow version is selling at aquamarin for over $300 but you can get the non overflow version second hand for $50 or thereabouts as some good bros advertised recently in the pasarmalam forum.

well, hope that helps,

cheers,

ian

hi really thanks for the reply!!

thanks alot!!!!

for fan can i use a protec fan.....

big and strong....

for top up.... yep i will diy a auto top up system.....top up with fresh water slowly...

to maintain the water temp.....i will set a timer to the fan to on 1 hour stop 1 hour....in the day

and when the light is on at night, fan will on through out....

is that ok?....

hmmm i thiknk i will go for the fan then....

however if can get teco macro at a cheap price why not???...

for the hand on skimmer......

waht is a overflow version ????

and prizm skimmer abit noise right?....

and for light can i do with 18w+11w pl.....

or 18w+18w?

thanks