Which one to tackle first?

• SRC Member

hi,

I'm using a swing arm hydrometer at home and all along i assume the salinity/sg was ok, reading was always 35ppt/1.026.

But lab result shows Salinity at 28 or cond 43.8mS @22degC.(Hach)

Alkalinity 3.71meq/L and Ca 280ppm.(Hach)

Which one should i increase first? Calcium or Salinity?My target is 430ppm and 35ppt.

thank you for ur advice.

Just do water changes with the right water. A good salt mix would be recommended to achieve the appropriate levels of alkalinity and calcium. Sooner or later your water parameters will be back to normal. That way you won't shock your livestock too.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Salinity is the TOP factor to your LS, deal with it 1st.

Try get a refractometer, if you can spend for it. Sooner or later, you will find those hydrometer give you bad reading at critical level\time.

totally agree.... :D

Actually, salinity and calcium and be adjusted at the same time by changing water..... use of a refractometer can ensure that the reading of salinity is accurate, also, most salts ( unless u get those really lousy ones ) have a calcium level of more than 300ppm, so buy changing water, u are increasing ur calcium level since yours is low at 280ppm... :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

hi guys,

thanks for the advice.I did 20% water change yesterday.I managed to up the Salinity to 35 but the calcium i titrated only 228ppm.I'm not sure if the Red Sea salt mix is ggod enough.

Alkalinity is 4.42meq/L.

Appreciate ur help.

• SRC Member
Am I correct to say that I do not have to bother about calcium levels if i'm only keeping fishes, shrimps and live rock?

to a large extent...YES.. :lol:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member
hi guys,

thanks for the advice.I did 20% water change yesterday.I managed to up the Salinity to 35 but the calcium i titrated only 228ppm.I'm not sure if the Red Sea salt mix is ggod enough.

Alkalinity is 4.42meq/L.

Appreciate ur help.

Adjust your salinity to the recommended level first, best use a refractometer to check salinity level. Recently had changed my TropicMarin to Oceanic natural sea salt and found that it much more easy to maintain Mg and Ca level.

• SRC Member
hi guys,

Alkalinity is 4.42meq/L.

Appreciate ur help.

U did 20% water change and ur CA go down. So there must be some reason behind it.

Find it before you find to fix the problem.

Could be coralinealge, shrimp.

You have to tell us what is ur tank size, age and what u keep. Low CA is the most easy to solve, but need to know WHY

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump