BEWARE - lobsters and hermit crabs

Just like to alert people keeping frogfish - don't keep them in the same tank with lobster and hermit crabs. My 3 orange frogfishes were killed within 4 days by my seemingly innocuous lobster (which until now feeds only on ghost shrimp and frozen fish). My hermit crab, which has been with me for over 1.5 years, lives in permanent isolation because it kills fish (any fish). Now my lobster seems to be going down that path too.

Because frogfish are not fast, and stays in one spot most of the time, they are easy targets. So please beware - don't end up heartbroken like me.

• SRC Member
Just like to alert people keeping frogfish - don't keep them in the same tank with lobster and hermit crabs. My 3 orange frogfishes were killed within 4 days by my seemingly innocuous lobster (which until now feeds only on ghost shrimp and frozen fish). My hermit crab, which has been with me for over 1.5 years, lives in permanent isolation because it kills fish (any fish). Now my lobster seems to be going down that path too.

Because frogfish are not fast, and stays in one spot most of the time, they are easy targets. So please beware - don't end up heartbroken like me.

OMG.... may they rest in peace .

cheers :D

u keeping those big lobsters? omg ~

thought frogfish is a master of camo ;(

may ur frogfish rest in peace

with condolence

dj

No man, the lobster is at the most (excluding those long antennae) 3.5 inches. You can have a look at it in the picture - does it look like a murderer?

post-8-1119793499.jpg

No man, the lobster is at the most (excluding those long antennae) 3.5 inches. You can have a look at it in the picture - does it look like a murderer?

Yes it does. my condolences bro.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Nah..these type of lobsters are quite harmless from my own experience. I kept a blue one before in a goby tank and my fish were unmolested. I think what could have happened in your case was that your frogfishes probably died of lack of sleep. Such lobsters are very active at night... your frogfishes being large fellows had no place to retire (Eg. holes, crevices, etc). They probably could'nt sleep with the constant disturbance of the unknowing lobster with long antennas. :)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Actually I wouldn't have believed that my lobster could have killed 3 frogfishes in such a short timespan. One moment okay, next moment dead in the grasp of the lobster. The first frogfish was already dead when I found the lobster chewing on it, so I thought it was scavenging (which it never does - it only feeds on fresh shrimps or freshly thawed fish). The second one was still struggling when I found the lobster carrying it. The third one had its skin on the upper jaw peeled off - nothing else in my tank could do this. So now the lobster is staying on its own in a 3 footer all by itself - until I find a suitable companion.

The hermit crab was also caught red-clawed - it grabbed a frogfish right before my eyes and chewed a chunk of the latter's tail off.

• SRC Member
Actually I wouldn't have believed that my lobster could have killed 3 frogfishes in such a short timespan. One moment okay, next moment dead in the grasp of the lobster. The first frogfish was already dead when I found the lobster chewing on it, so I thought it was scavenging (which it never does - it only feeds on fresh shrimps or freshly thawed fish). The second one was still struggling when I found the lobster carrying it. The third one had its skin on the upper jaw peeled off - nothing else in my tank could do this. So now the lobster is staying on its own in a 3 footer all by itself - until I find a suitable companion.

The hermit crab was also caught red-clawed - it grabbed a frogfish right before my eyes and chewed a chunk of the latter's tail off.

hmmm ... can't help having a feeling and thinking of the china girl that recently have been died and chop into pieces and throw away in different places ........... :huh:

• SRC Member

Sorry bout the lost bro:(

• SRC Member

always believed that all lobsters and crabs are predators.. ticking timebombs...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.