why people give up reefing?

weileong

• SRC Member

1.cause keep changing method....

2.no real knowledge behind reefing...

3.monkey see monkey do...

4.kids playing with reefing....

5.got too much money to spare so see ppls play also play lor...

6.due to nemo heat...

7.enjoy killing the reef....

1.cause keep changing method....

See other pple using this method and getting good results then follow, by follow "1/2 standard" end up failure, switch to another method and also follow "1/2 standard" end up every method tried but still sucks results and finally gave up totally.

2.no real knowledge behind reefing...

Same as point 1. No real knowledge end up just follow blindly leading to sucks results.

3.monkey see monkey do...

Same as Point 2 :P

4.kids playing with reefing....

"kids" lar.....

5.got too much money to spare so see ppls play also play lor...

See point 3 :peace:

6.due to nemo heat...

nemo heat can last so long meh?

7.enjoy killing the reef....

See point 5

• SRC Member
ran out of savings, gf left coz no money, dog died coz no money to buy food, quit job to feed anthias 5 times a day?

another poor planning..

if know like that then why start reefing...

seem like all give up reefing due to $$$$$$

another poor planning..

if know like that then why start reefing...

seem like all give up reefing due to $$$$$$

Best don't start reefing unless got plans to set aside extra cash for it. Its disgusting when new reefers come to pasam malam and expect to dig gold. i.e Brand new tunze 6060 cost $175, new reefer offer $50 ask u interested to sell not. . :angry:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Best don't start reefing unless got plans to set aside extra cash for it. Its disgusting when new reefers come to pasam malam and expect to dig gold. i.e Brand new tunze 6060 cost $175, new reefer offer $50 ask u interested to sell not. .  :angry:

Ask them to go fly kite....

I few kanna from me before liao :P

Selling something for $70, they offer "best price" $20, I rather throw away :P Then come back offer $40 but sorry lah, kanna blacklisted liao.

Ask them to go fly kite....

I few kanna from me before liao :P

Selling something for $70, they offer "best price" $20, I rather throw away :P Then come back offer $40 but sorry lah, kanna blacklisted liao.

Now i understand why some reefers like nicky got so frustrated. . some people like to try their luck. Usually pasam malam, reefers are already quite generous sell things half price. . than new reefers offer half of the half price some more. . lagi best!! :lol:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Now i understand why some reefers like nicky got so frustrated. . some people like to try their luck. Usually pasam malam, reefers are already quite generous sell things half price. . than new reefers offer half of the half price some more. . lagi best!! :lol:

okie lar no hard feelings, it's sellers and buyers willing no once deal confirm case closed lor.

Don't drift from the main topic why pple give up reefing :P

• SRC Member

I think newbies give up on the hobby mainly due to lack of success. They are unsuccessful as they are either fed the incorrect information, or lulled into a herd mentality where difficult hard core corals/ fish are the way to go. They also tend to follow trends, in equipment and methodologies, often following whispered advice from other reefers on line. When they fall, they burn much time and money, then become disillusioned and quit.

I am not saying that the newbie is not at fault. But understand that they are very new, they look to others on the board for information. There is a tremendous pool of information here, some of which might not be entirely useful to beginners or pegged to their level. These guys go in, absorb the wrong stuff, aspire to take on challenging live stock in a barely cycled tank.

Even for seniors, reefing is a difficult and challenging task. If its easy, most would have switched to Luo Hans long ago. Even AT had to face the daunting task of resurrecting his wiped out tank a few times. How many of the beginners would have the determination to start all over again?

I dont know- its a difficult hobby.

I think newbies give up on the hobby mainly due to lack of success. They are unsuccessful as they are either fed the incorrect information, or lulled into a herd mentality where difficult hard core corals/ fish are the way to go. They also tend to follow trends, in equipment and methodologies, often following whispered advice from other reefers on line. When they fall, they burn much time and money, then become disillusioned and quit.

I am not saying that the newbie is not at fault. But understand that they are very new, they look to others on the board for information. There is a tremendous pool of information here, some of which might not be entirely useful to beginners or pegged to their level. These guys go in, absorb the wrong stuff, aspire to take on challenging live stock in a barely cycled tank.

Even for seniors, reefing is a difficult and challenging task. If its easy, most would have switched to Luo Hans long ago. Even AT had to face the daunting task of resurrecting his wiped out tank a few times. How many of the beginners would have the determination to start all over again?

:P ..bro riot...a very good detailed comment.....1000 post liao!!!!!!!!!

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

it sure is mann....

sometimes i have to rush back home after work to feed them, then immediately rush out to my evening appointment.

I dun know if i was paranoid, but i realised that having fixed and consistence schedule for husbandry, feeding, helps to keep them in better shape.

I agree... its a financially challenging hobby. One where Murphy's Law pays special attention to.

It can be a fragile ecosystem that a power trip or inadequate equipment or inappropriate setup may cause its demise. A fully backed-up marine system with redundancy measures is not cheap.

I have noted that parasitic episodes have been on the rise globally.

It is the cause of endless personal frustration where there is a lack of natural biological controls. Having tank crashes or coral wipeouts due to plagues of parasites are more demoralizing because it happens right before your eyes and not easily detected as they grow to critical mass.

I don't have the space to setup a quarantine facility for corals (seperate lights, skimmers, chiller, water circulation, calcium reactors etc) and I think most reefers don't either.

I don't honestly know if I will be in the hobby a decade from now.... can you?

IMO, this hobby may have more financial pressures than others... and touch wood, when my priorities change, something must be sacrificed.... "goodbye darling... heee heee.... " ;)