Siphon tube overflow

chrisyew

• SRC Member

Hi,

May I know for those using the Siphon tube (not the ibox) for overflow, does it ever break siphon due to whatever reason?

If it does, do you guys have a float switch to stop the return pump so that the main tank will not be flooded?

To prevent the main tank from flooding, is float switch the only alternative?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

I realised that the overflow pipe will accumulate air on a rate proportional to the water flowing through. Mine used to break siphon every 1.5 months. Actually to solve this problem, I connect my air release valve of the overflow pipe to the air intake of a powerhead. In this way, any air accumulated will be drawn out by the powerhead. Now I am not worried about siphon breakage.

hope this helps.

• SRC Member
I realised that the overflow pipe will accumulate air on a rate proportional to the water flowing through. Mine used to break siphon every 1.5 months. Actually to solve this problem, I connect my air release valve of the overflow pipe to the air intake of a powerhead. In this way, any air accumulated will be drawn out by the powerhead. Now I am not worried about siphon breakage.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

So after doing that, it has not break siphon so far?

• SRC Member

That's also how i prime the overflow pipe. no more mouthful of saltwater.

Oh yah, one more thing, you might want to shake the overflow pipe once in a while as there may be some small air pockets within at odd places. Not that it will cause the siphon to break, but it does slows the flow rate through the pipe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

bro, hope u enjoy ur DIY. I had some problem with mine a few days back....the returning (to sump from my DIY pipe) is too slow...was OK for many mths and allof a sudden my canister became powerfl and the amout od water it returned to main tank increases and my pipe can't take it....took 2hrs to clear everything up :sick: ... thinking of doing another pipe... this time try using smaller pvc pipes. :P

Henry Tan

Sembawang

3x1.5x1.5 2.5x1x1.5

LS

1xfire clown/ 1xyellow boxer

1xpercular/ 1xcoral beauty

1xboxer/ 2xfire shrimps

1xcoral beauty/ 2xfalse clowns

2xhawk fish/ 1xane crab

1xyellow tail damsel/ 2xcleaners

3xturbo snails

2xhermits