Caulerpa turning white....

• SRC Member
mine also have some turning white. If my lighting is on 24/7, it is definitely turning asexual issit?

But i also have some of the tips having bright lighter green, and i suppose those are new shoots rite?

When they turn white they become soft and that means they are dying or dead, so pull those white ones out and leave the green ones behing.

They grow easily under ANY fluorescent light, probably faster with stronger lights.

• SRC Member

hi all! when your macroalgaes, especially those of the caulerpa family turn white, it means they are about to turn sexual. they turn white because the internal cell walls are processed into gametes, and the phosphates and silicates that were binded in the process of the algae's growth are released together with the gametes as fertilizers. so, when your macro alges turn white, i'd suggest just snipping off those parts that are white. they usually go slightly translucent before going totally white, and you can snip them off at that point already. its quite a fail safe way of preventing nutrients from being released back into your system, and from having macros over take your tank.

hope that helps,

cheers,

ian

• SRC Member
hi all! when your macroalgaes, especially those of the caulerpa family turn white, it means they are about to turn sexual. they turn white because the internal cell walls are processed into gametes, and the phosphates and silicates that were binded in the process of the algae's growth are released together with the gametes as fertilizers. so, when your macro alges turn white, i'd suggest just snipping off those parts that are white. they usually go slightly translucent before going totally white, and you can snip them off at that point already. its quite a fail safe way of preventing nutrients from being released back into your system, and from having macros over take your tank.

hope that helps,

cheers,

ian

I've heard that its safer to pluck off the dead shoot completely rather than snip it off, which releases toxins into the water.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".