Recommend Skimmer?

spaceman

• SRC Member

Are these external pumps usually have higher power wattage compared to one that is submersible for the same flow rate and head?

Chris, you definitely want the pump to be external, for a good no of reasons : quieter, no CaCO3 precipitation, no algae or dirt stuck on it, heat is dissipated into the air, saves you precious in-tank real-estate, easier to adjust and connect, air is a better insulator than water in case electrical leakage/ etc...

Power is not entirely related to weather pump is internal or external, hv found that in general, the better ones are able to produce 1000 - 1200 l/h btw 15-19 W only.

• SRC Member

Chris, you definitely want the pump to be external, for a good no of reasons : quieter, no CaCO3 precipitation, no algae or dirt stuck on it, heat is dissipated into the air, saves you precious in-tank real-estate, easier to adjust and connect, air is a better insulator than water in case electrical leakage/ etc...

Power is not entirely related to weather pump is internal or external, hv found that in general, the better ones are able to produce 1000 - 1200 l/h btw 15-19 W only.

Hi Madmac,

Pls pls tell me the brand and model of that External pump which is less than 20W at that rate you mentioned. Help me as I've been searching for quite sometime already. Thank you.

• SRC Member

No. Prizm is pretty low power - I don't have the figure off-hand. Don't confuse Prizm design with other skimmer - flow rate, etc don't apply here as it is a self-contained unit. Of course pls also note that Prizm is suitable for Nano only ~2ft or less.

Though the price is above $100, the onli setback I've with this skimmer is the width or length of it. Thickness and height is ok. :D

Why dun consider the Aqua C Remora? ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

I'm using a Reno(can't remember now, pump is no longer manufactured) rated 17 or 19W at 1000l/h. Try reborn, they have Sicce and Aquabee and Paradiz Reef carries Quietone, I think ehiem's 1200l/h is abt 27W.

two of the best hang on skimmers are AquaC Remora Pro and Deltec's MCE600, for those w $$$.

• SRC Member
I'm using a Reno(can't remember now, pump is no longer manufactured) rated 17 or 19W at 1000l/h. Try reborn, they have Sicce and Aquabee and Paradiz Reef carries Quietone, I think ehiem's 1200l/h is abt 27W.

two of the best hang on skimmers are AquaC Remora Pro and Deltec's MCE600, for those w $$$.

Thanks for the info Madmac. ;)

Another good skimmer is the AquaMedic BioFlotor one of the smallest needlewheel skimmer I have come across. ;)

I have used it sucessfully in a few nano set-ups for friends. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

how come no one mention macro series skimmer? i heard they are good skimmer too.. anyone out there have experience with tat. i tink they have models for hang-on tank skimmer and it comes with pump(not very bulky i tink).

red sea primz's design is slick for a small tank, but expensive.

regarding power head pump, i have tried ehiem PH. some models can be use externally(not inside water) AND internally. so if you have space constraint in your tank, u can put it outside tour tank. but it is very expensive and bulky. btw, if u decided to put in tank, dun forget to consider the fact that it will generate certain amount of heat into your water. just note to point out. :)

• SRC Member

Just bought a $8 Skimmer with Pump for my nano. just trying out, don't know how effective it can be. at least i see lots of bubbles!

Hope to see some protein waste collected on the cup soon!

btw, how long does it ususally take to witness some visible scum collected in the cup?

thanks!

skimmer.jpg

• SRC Member
Just bought a $8 Skimmer with Pump for my nano. just trying out, don't know how effective it can be. at least i see lots of bubbles!

Hope to see some protein waste collected on the cup soon!

btw, how long does it ususally take to witness some visible scum collected in the cup?

thanks!

skimmer.jpg

i am using this type too before

have to change the wood very often...as long the thing become black

the level also must take note troublesome

• SRC Member

These type of skimmers arnt really that efficient, most u get is yellow skimate. If u want a air stone skimmer the redsea airlift is not bad, gives dark skimate, but still cannot compare with other better skimmers.

SBS_Transit

• SRC Member

Hi SBS,

yup u are right. it has been 2 days running continuous. I only got some pathetic yellow stuff in the cup at the moment.... :(

Btw, I heard a tip that the skimmer collection cup must not be washed, need to leave some skimate inside to "attact" more dirt?!?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Hi SBS,

yup u are right. it has been 2 days running continuous. I only got some pathetic yellow stuff in the cup at the moment.... :(

Btw, I heard a tip that the skimmer collection cup must not be washed, need to leave some skimate inside to "attact" more dirt?!?!

issit ??? hmmm.......