Chiller or cooling fan?

• SRC Member

Hi bros out there...can u all tell mi the advantage n disadvantage between this 2 equipment ? Cause really confuse ... dont know what to get. Cause might not have space for chiller. ThankSSs

• SRC Member

from what i know:

chillers chill your tank but not your house :D (at least in the room where chiller is)

chillers generate lots of heat, so if you want to use a chiller, be prepared.

cooling fans however won't cause much heat in your house, but not that effective as chiller.

cooling fans cools to 26degrees while chillers can go beyond that.

cost wise, chillers are expensive, but fans are cheap. electricity costs are high too.

these are some factors that you may consider before choosing.

IMO, cooling fans are pretty good enuff.

experts, correct me if im wrong :peace:

IMHO,

forget abt cooling fans if u r seriously into reefing.

1. high evaporation rate

2. reliability issues

3. cooling fan cannot achieve the desired cooling temp than that of a sizeable chiller in the event of a high ambient temperature.

4. Pull down time to desired temp for cooling fan is much slower when compared to a chiller.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
IMHO,

forget abt cooling fans if u r seriously into reefing.

1. high evaporation rate

2. reliability issues

3. cooling fan cannot achieve the desired cooling temp than that of a sizeable chiller in the event of a high ambient temperature.

4. Pull down time to desired temp for cooling fan is much slower when compared to a chiller.

agree wif bro lightning..

if u are serious about reefing..get a reliable chiller like artica..if not jus get a resun..electricity bills wise a resun CL 450 setting the temp at 25 degrees will not cost more then $15 per month.. :yeah:

my 2 cents.. :D

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

agree wif bro lightning..

if u are serious about reefing..get a reliable chiller like artica..if not jus get a resun..electricity bills wise a resun CL 450 setting the temp at 25 degrees will not cost more then $15 per month.. :yeah:

my 2 cents.. :D

:off: I'm not sure abt other brands, but i'll definitely stand by Pacific Coo.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

ok..thanks alot bros..i got a few problems here..

-a resun 650 will cost how much rise in electricity bill ? because im running a 4 feet tank..i guess a 450 will not b really efficent n have lots of kick in.

-using cooling fans, how many cooling fans are needed to cool down a 4feet to 27degree and roughly how much evaporation rate per day

Advises needed as im changing from fowler to nano... ThankS Alot bros who replied.. thanks thanks

• SRC Member
ok..thanks alot bros..i got a few problems here..

-a resun 650 will cost how much rise in electricity bill ? because im running a 4 feet tank..i guess a 450 will not b really efficent n have lots of kick in.

-using cooling fans, how many cooling fans are needed to cool down a 4feet to 27degree and roughly how much evaporation rate per day

Advises needed as im changing from fowler to nano... ThankS Alot bros who replied.. thanks thanks

i was using 2 cooling fans before i bought my chiller for my 3x2x2 tank size :) my tank water evaporation rate was about >60L per week :blink: now i am using chiller and i don't have to worry about my tank evaporation.

however, i used to cool my tank up to 27 deg celcius when i used cooling fan and that was before march this year. after that i have difficulties of keeping my tank temp at 29 :( this is something you have to consider about. using cooling fan will also depende on your room temp oso.

and of course i will support pacific coo... just my personal preference :P

age.png

• SRC Member

Hi,

If u have only fishes withour corals, fan should be enough, but if u r thinking of keeping corals, it's better to have a chiller.

Me too used to have fans only until few of my corals up lorry due to high temperature recently, no choice but invest into chiller, unless u r really really tight pocket, then I cannot say anything. :)

• SRC Member

hi everyone, ive tried using a chiller before but i find that for tanks that do not run calcium reactors, the use of a fan set is better because, though it creates more evaporation than the use of a chiller would, this evaporation allows for top up with distilled water and kalk or reefbuilder. also, smaller tanks that run with chillers and no ca reactor would require kalk dripping with top up water to replenish ca but would over time cause the salinity to drop because of insufficient evaporation. so think that your ca needs, and your tank size also determines whether fans or chillers would better suit your needs. i run a six fan set that i power with an adaptor at 7 volts rather than 12 to reduce the speed of the fan. you can tweak it to achieve the desired evaporation rate and temp.

the downside to fans is that temp fluctuates with the daily atmospheric temperatures. whereas chillers maintain more stable temps throughout. for example, if a chiller is set to chill to 26 deg. the water temp seldom varies one degree from that. for fans though, i get between 26 to 28 deg. more variance i guess.

cheers,

ian